Tail light position opinions wanted (with photos)

@Dave - I recall you telling me that you used red LED bulbs instead of white light. Was that just for the turn signal conversions you did, or also for inside the main brake-light housing?

Good recollection LR! Yes, I was running red LED bulbs in both the rear turn and brake lights. The red LEDs shone red through the amber turn signal lenses and made my white license plate appear pink until I installed white LED mounting bolts for the plate. I was concerned that the white LED bulbs wouldn't be bright enough after shining through the red lens of the brake light.

... made my white license plate appear pink until I installed white LED mounting bolts for the plate ...
Yes, much better with the white bolts ...

Attachments

• Dave's ride.jpg
    Dave's ride.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 177
@Tombo - Now, did I say the bike was Dave's? Certainly not!

Just another bike with a nice white plate and no pink overtones, ... like Dave's :thumbsup:
Not another bike like Dave's :thumbsdown:

@Dave - Did you happen to take any pics of where and how you sliced into the circuits to add the plate lights and the extra wire for the dual function turn lamps?
I have to assume these old bikes don't have convenient empty circuit plug wiring waiting under the seat for accessories.

No I didn't. Wiring like this is pretty easy, and once I have a plan I typically work too quickly to take the time to document the process.

From memory: The plate lights were wired into the marker lights at the tail light. The trailer wiring module was installed beside the fuse block and connected to the rear wiring harness there.

Less than a year later, it has all been removed as I work towards the next revision of the bike...

@Lou, was just riffing on the joke you made, I got that it wasn't Dave's. :shrug:

I had to do a different bulb, will make a thread on it when I install. Now on my way home from my dentist, a beautiful day to ride in California :bike:

@Lou, was just riffing on the joke you made, I got that it wasn't Dave's. :shrug: ... :bike:
After 10 days on the Gulf coast I found myself able to do dueling riffs with you. Joking IS allowed on the FORUM, right?
Now that the sun just came out, it's a beautiful day to ride in Fla. too.
Off I go :bike:

@Lou - good on you sir! :bike:

While sometimes not wanting to brave the 50 degree "cold" weather makes me feel like a wimp, id take the choice over no choice at all! Once I get all my lamps on LED's a heated coat and grips might be just enough to make year round riding beyond doable, and more into the realm of comfortable!

Attachments

• This drove me to it.jpg
    This drove me to it.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Back