Welding Table 95% Done

Nice table. Not overkill though. A welding table should be beefy. Needs to hold up to heat and pressure when needed. Mine has a piece of 3/4" cast iron as the top and I wish it was thicker.

I've been hoping to stumble over a piece of thick plate cheap. Thats an expensive piece of steel.

Shaun

When I saw the 2x4 table,I thought that you're going to have to add a few braces before it falls down and hurts you. After seeing the steel table,I knew my worries are over. The table looks and probably works great,as I'm a charter member of Overkillers Anonymous. You can also use it for an anvil for truing flat panels,etc. lha

Yeah the 2x4 stand was supposed to be very temporary, but I ended up using it longer than I wanted. It was actually pretty damn sturdy. The new stand could probably hold up my truck.

That's funny that you mentioned the anvil thing because I used the table to straighten out the drip tray on my lathe. It worked great. It had a huge dent in the back side that I hammered out using the edge of the table.

i was inspired by you completing your table so i "borrowed" this 1/2 plate from work and other materials and got at it, its not as fancy as yours but i did add some home made leveling feet with some giant bolts.

DSC00771.jpg

That looks great! What is the size of that plate (length and width)?

And yes that looks it would be perfect for a frame jig. Even better than my table.

Heres mine, still need threaded rod for the legs so Its adjustable, and I wanted to put atleast 1/4 plate on top, but its pricey. Ill just have to settle with a wooden top for now. Its 2x2x1/4'' angle.

table.jpg

That looks nice. I should build something like that for the corner of my garage. Keep an eye on Craigslist for steel. A lot of times I search for 'welding table' or 'steel plate' to see what people are trying to get rid of. If you find a big enough piece, you can bring it to a fab shop and have them cut it quickly to size on a big metal shear.

Travis,

Looks killer man. Jealous of all of your shop "candy." I might get there one day but things I make won't look as good as your stuff.

What else do you do for work? Must be with metal.

Got any plans on renting a frame jig?

I'm in the process of rebuilding a '78 XS400E and am wanting to make some major mods to the frame but just don't have the funds to purchase your jig.

Think we could work something out or just too much of a headache?

Peace,
Lone Vagabond

Lone Vagabond,

Thanks. I do sell some other stuff like axle plates and hardtail kits. Most of my work these days in the garage is in some way supporting the products I sell.

I do not have plans to rent frame jigs. The plates and hardware for the whole setup weighs about 70lbs (with the rotisserie brackets), and shipping all the rectangle tubing would be very expensive. Your best bet would be to buy one then sell it when you're done on Craigslist, in the classifieds here or on XS650.com (or someplace like chop cult). I shouldn't be too hard to find someone local that would want one at a discount.

Back