What could go wrong on a 1983 yamaha Maxim for a first time use?

chrisd1984

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey first time rider here and I'm getting my bike ready to use this summer. It's in very good shape, 60,000 miles on it, regular oil changes and just had a fork seal replaced. What kind of things could go wrong on an older bike when riding it daily? I've read about wiring issues before but anything else? Will I be okay to ride this bike for a few hours on trips this summer? I've always heard the old Maxims were built very strong. Is there anything I should be weary of when riding on a highway? Some sort of emergency kit I should pack?

Something to be wary of? Any of the 4 series highways around Toronto! :) Our bikes are pretty much done at 120 kph, which is the speed most vehicles are doing in the slow lane. :yikes: You are going to be running your bike hard just to go with traffic.

What can go wrong with a 30 year old motorcycle? Look at your bike. Everything you can see is a potential failure point. Will it let you down? Who can say? I've put about $2k of new parts into my bike and I'm fully expecting that it will leave me stranded at some time. I've had a couple issues on the road, but nothing that left me stranded, yet... :bike:

I ride my Maxim because it is a nice, easy bike to ride. It is great around town and out in the countryside. It get's decent mileage and is cheap to insure. And it is easy to fix. I have the time, tools, space and skills to fix it myself. If I'd wanted perfect reliability and speed, I'd be riding a new plastic wonder bike that cost 10 times what my maxim is worth!

Hmm I see so you don't think it would be a good idea to ride it to North Bay from Toronto on an off peak hour? Have you had any major issues riding it everyday or has it be reliable? I'm just wondering if these bikes had any common issues or 30 year old bikes in general.

Okay, to be fair, Dave is very good at working on bikes, and I have complete respect for him. But that response was a little alarmist.

The challenge isn't you, and it isn't a 30 year old bike. It's 30 years of other riders on this bike. If they really took care of it, kept it in a garage, and did the maintenance, then you're likely fine. Yes, every point on this bike is a potential failure point, because after 30 years, rubber cracks, and metal rusts. But don't worry about things like a ride to North Bay.

Here's my take. Get a fuel filter. You'll notice the petcock is higher than the lowest parts of the gas tank. Rust collects in the bottom, and eventually gets into your carbs, which is a pain.

The carbs on our bikes seem to get dirty if you tell a joke about sex within earshot (bah-dump bump.) If you're running now, don't worry about them, especially once you have a fuel filter on, but in the fall, make sure you properly drain them and add stabilizer to the tank.

Don't worry about the wiring. Worry about your battery. Is it new?

The most important safety item on your bike are your tires. Are they new? Do they have good tread depth?

Finally, the upgraded CAA membership includes a tow for motorcycles for up to 100 kms. If you're really worried about it, pay the membership fees, and then don't worry any more.

As an aside, we definitely have to do a Southern Ontario XS400 ride this summer...

Hey thanks for the reply. I have brand new tires and a new battery. I also added stabil to the tank over the winter. How would I go about the fuel filter portion? A summer ride would be cool too.

... How would I go about the fuel filter portion? A summer ride would be cool too.
Welcome Chris.
This thread will give you all you need (and more) about the fuel filter:It you are hoping to do mostly cruising, then may I suggest you install a 17T front sprocket. The change is not enough to require a longer chain but it will shave 400-500 rpms off your highway cruising speeds. I am very pleased and now enjoy cruising at around 90 kph which should be plenty if you take the secondary highways.

Hmm I see so you don't think it would be a good idea to ride it to North Bay from Toronto on an off peak hour? Have you had any major issues riding it everyday or has it be reliable? I'm just wondering if these bikes had any common issues or 30 year old bikes in general.

The run from T.O. to North Bay is what, 4 to 5 hours? Sorry, it's been over a decade since I did that run. I would expect that you will have to stop for fuel at least once. Probably twice if you are trying to go with traffic below Orillia. I get about 175 - 200 km from full to reserve. And reserve will do at least 50 km, probably 100 km, but I haven't pushed my luck that far. Also, keep in mind that there is a LOT of truck traffic until you are past Hwy 69 and you will get buffeted by them a lot. Our bikes are small and light after all.

As for problems on the road, the only 2 issues I've had on the road were electrical. The first was when my ignition switch decided to make crappy connections. The ignition would cut out and the bike would slow down very quickly. I was riding back roads and managed to get it home by wiggling the key or even turning it off and back on while coasting at speed. The second was when a connection from the voltage regulator decided it was corroded enough to get hot and then break. The bike began running worse and worse. It wasn't until I noticed my turn signals weren't working that I realized it was an electrical issue. When I put the bike in neutral, the LED bulb I had installed barely lit. The battery voltage was definitely below 10V! Again as luck would have it, I was close to home and was able to ride the rest of the way. The bike died in my driveway and wouldn't restart because the battery was drained.

So electrical issues are high on my list of potential failures. Bearings are another possible issue. If they have been serviced over the years, there shouldn't be any worries. If they have been ignored, well, that usually shows up hours into a long ride when the bearing overheats and fails. Or in my case, when the swing arm bearings disintegrated into powdered rust and the bike rode like a wet noodle. Without knowing the service history of a bike, it is best to assume the worst and have everything serviced before riding it any distance. Or you can just ride it and deal with what happens, when it happens (the CAA option). I commute on my bike, and ride to areas without cell phone coverage, so that isn't an option for me.

Keep in mind that our bikes are generally considered "learning" or "starter" bikes in North America. They were relatively inexpensive, light weight and easy to ride. The people who bought them were often first time riders and they often skipped maintenance. Especially after the 2nd or 3rd time they had dropped the bike and had to replace turn signals, mufflers, and pegs, again. :doh: Then they sold it to another new rider and bought a bigger bike. And the cycle was repeated. It is rare to find a mature, experienced rider buying one of these bikes with the intention of riding it until the odometer rolled over. And maintaining it impeccably. Catching up on maintenance is the only way to be sure it was done and that the bike is as fit as possible.

Now, I'm NOT trying to be negative and I'm certainly NOT suggesting that our bikes are unworthy. I'm just trying to get you to understand that owning an older vehicle can be challenging. Some knowledge of things mechanical and electrical, and the willingness to learn, will go a long way towards making your bike enjoyable. And when the challenges occur, you will be able to think your way out of them. Carrying a spare set of spark plugs and fuses is a good idea, but only if you know how and why to change them. Having a flashlight so you can see what you are doing is forward thinking. Some electrical tape, wire ties, a spare master link for the chain, spare brake and turn signal bulbs, and some duct tape are all good additions to the factory tool kit. :thumbsup:

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and you will be just fine.

Okay, to be fair, Dave is very good at working on bikes, and I have complete respect for him. But that response was a little alarmist.

As an aside, we definitely have to do a Southern Ontario XS400 ride this summer...

Thanks BW! Yes, I was a bit alarmist, but I don't believe in sugar coating things. Riding a 30 year old bike is challenging. They break more often that we'd like to admit until the bugs are worked out.

A meet and ride sounds like a great idea! Just not on a long weekend, ok? Maybe June? That give you enough time to get yours on the road? :laugh:

just put a few zipties and a roll of duct tape in your pocket, that can fix about half of your problems anyways.

If your carbs are clean and you have a fuel filter, you're likely to be just fine. Most problems I've had were the bike not starting, or stalling after 100 meters of riding. Had a flat front tire once when I really couldn't use one, but thats a risk any bike has..

yeah it's around a 5 hour trip if going 100 k/m or less, which I'ma ssuming I would be doing. Hmm haven't run into any major electrical issues yet. Whereabouts is the voltage regulator on the bike? Really wish I had a diagram that I could reference to name all of the internal/external parts...the manual I have is a print out and hard to read and doesn't really elucidate much. Do you know of any good books that can help with learning the fundamentals of repairing electrical/mechanical issues on an old motorcycle?
When replacing the spark plugs on the bike, can you just pull the plugs out or does the block have to be depressurized first somehow? And I imagine the fuse box is under the seat near the battery? Have you ever had to change your bike chain as well?
Sorry about all of the questions, just can't seem to find a lot of info on the older bikes. Are a lot of riders on here in Toronto?

... think it would be a good idea to ride it to North Bay from Toronto on an off peak hour? ...
Maybe we could make a contest/game out of it for the members here.
We could plan a route for you and each give you places to visit and photo assignments to post on the Forum each night. You could rate which member gave you the best tip or the best site to visit and photograph, and then the winners would get to go on the next trip.

My entry: The scenic route :bike: up the east side of Lake Simcoe to Gravenhurst, then 169 and Lake Joseph Rd. through Bala to Parry Sound, 69 to French River, then 64 and 17 to North Bay.
Photo challenge: The Strand Theatre, Canada's oldest movie theatre :eek:

As I and others have suggested. Start at one end of the bike, working to the other end. Check every connection in the wiring harness. This includes switches. Everything should be clean and tight. A dab of dialectric grease helps thing stay clean.
This will fix most electrical problems before they can show up.
As far as a tool/repair kit. A couple spark plugs, fuses, electrical tape, zip ties, plug wrence a straight and phillips screwdrivers, a 10, 12, 13 and 14 mm end wrenches a 6 inch cresent wrench, A 4 or 6 inch vise grips.
That should cover 99 % of the trouble you find on the road.
A tire patch kit and a cresent wrench big enough for the axle nuts, tire irons to Remove the tires. If you have the knowledge to fix tires.
A cell phone and a credit card can help too.
Leo

I wouldn't bother too much with logging around loads of equipment. Bring cash and a few generic items like tape, you're not going to do a full carb rebuild on the side of the road anyways.

And to answer your questions, yes the fuse box is just under the seat near the battery. You can just take the spark plugs out, no depressurizing is needed. Chain and sprocket have to be changed periodically, if you can pull out your chain on the back end to about half an inch off your sprocket, it's worn out.

Oh and one thing, if you do decide to bring stuff like screwdrivers and you're planning on using a backpack for it, put a hard sheet of plastic or something on your backside. In the event of a fall you don't want those things to stab you in the back. I know, morbid thought, but something to keep in mind.

I see, okay thanks. And are their two spark plugs on either side of the engine block? Can't recall now. Also, how would I know i need to change a spark plug? And if something electrical malfunctions on the bike, how would I know which fuse to replace?

These are two-cylinder bikes, so they have one spark plug on either side, two in total. Just get some new ones and bring them when you pick the bike up, theyre cheap and the easiest to replace. Replace them before taking off. You can find your bike's manual in the sticky post here on the forum, you'll find what spark plugs you need in there as well. As it sounds like you haven't done much on bikes before, I would definitely say leave the tools at home, and bring a cell phone and some cash and a credit card and some water. Except maybe the spark plug tool, if the person you're pickin it up from doesnt already have that. Any americans or canadians here that can tell chris what size tool he would need? I only know its size 18 in metrics.

Good luck on the ride home. You'll be fine. When you get it home, take a good look at the manual and try to figure out what's what. Give the carbs a good cleaning and install a fuel filter. But most of all, post some pictures here and just fire away with questions.

Repace the blown fuse. change a plug by using the right size plug socket and a rachet or breaker bar. The plug wrench that cokes in most stock tool kits is just round tube wit flats around one end that grips the plig and the other just has hle to use a screw driver to turn. A plug gapper comes in handy. One of the round ones that go on a key chain work great.
One of the 4 in 1 screwdrivers is better than several others.
If any of the covers that you might need to remove have Allen head screws or bolts Allen wrenches that fit them.
Leo

Hey yeah it's my first bike. I haven't done much with bikes before, just a bit of work on my car which is fuel-injected

and much newer. I hear a lot about cleaning the carbs and installing a fuel filter but I'm not really sure how to go

about this. Would I take out the engine block to clean the carbs or just spray something into the cylinders somehow after removing them? And do I just buy a fuel filter and add it in the tank somehow?

When I remove the oil filter, does that require a special tool or will an adjustable wrench do the trick?

I see. So I would need to purchase an inline fuel filter then? And where exactly is the fuel line? The clear hose that runs from the petcock to the tank? Is the line that gets cut when one inserts the fuel filter? I took a look at the link for adding the fuel filter but it doesn't clarify certain things for a total novice. Thanks.

Get the bike home first. It's a gamble to go for a ride before cleaning the carbs properly (as you don't know if the PO did this recently) but if the bike has been ridden lately it should be fine.

When it's home, you would have to buy the inline fuel filter, they have them at most auto/motorcycle stores or otherwise online. Should cost like 3$. You take the line that runs from the petcock to the carburetors (it connects to the metal part of the carbs, dont cut the line which connects the petcock to the rubber boots between the carbs and the cilinders). You take off the line, cut it in half and put the fuel filter in the middle. Then you put the fuel line back on the bike the way it came off. Mine was a bit long, so I had to cut off about half an inch on either side. It helps if you warm up the fuel line a little (just warm it up with a hairdryer or leave it in some hot water for a minute), to make it a bit more flexible.

For cleaning your carbs, bcware (i think) posted some links to some old youtube how-to videos here somewhere. You should also do that after you get the bike home.

Other things to check with your manual as a guide, are the chain and sprockets, brake pads, lighting and other electrics and valve clearances. But that's all for later.

Have a little look around here on the forum and search through some old topics, there are often nice posts with lots of pictures up for these things. And youtube will help enormously! There are alot of fourstroke 2 cylinder bikes out there and most have similar setups when it comes to carbs and those sort of things.

Back