What did you do with your XS today?

Took off the grips and throttle and put on the new brake and clutch perches. Can't get the damn switch wire(don't know what it does)out of the old clutch perch. Accidentally broke a tab off of the brake light switch on the brake side. Discovered that my brake lever is indeed bent. I will try to straighten it with some judicious kinetic force. Hammer time!

:yikes:Nothing Priorities changed. Mowing lawn yesterday Garden tractor hemorrhaged most of it's motor oil. Any one know of an oil pan for a Cub Cadet 1450 with a 14 hp Kohler??? Freakin Garbage tractor:banghead::banghead::mad:

Last week I repaired the Front brake, Yesterday, due to a traffic light being out, with about 15 cars at a flashing 4 way stop light, Noticed a couple things, by bike doesn't like it when I hold the clutch for long periods. Harder to switch gears to neutral when the clutch was starting to not to keep the gears released. Eventually the bike started to fight me, while holding the clutch, it wanted to go forward. It has been hard to switch to neutral at the end of my drive, and then my wife tells me she is having same issue. I told her its her weak ankle. Now I dont know. I did replace the Clutch a month ago. I should have search this forum first, maybe after breakfast. Tobie

tested top speed, although it was quite windy. 135-140 kph is doable :) less unsteady than at 110 actually..

so top is around 85 mph now, still have to do valves and carb sync, so I think I have some to gain there :)

:rock:The Gauntlet has been thrown, I am able to hit 80 MPG quite regularly. Haven't pushed for 85.:bike:

Is there an Smile of Smiliey face holding onto a rocket???? :p
:laugh:

:rock:The Gauntlet has been thrown ... Is there an Smile of Smiliey face holding onto a rocket???? :p :laugh:
rocket.gif

spent ages trying to work out why there is petrol in the oil.
ok so it was mostly just trying not to cry or freak out and kick things.

Last week I repaired the Front brake, Yesterday, due to a traffic light being out, with about 15 cars at a flashing 4 way stop light, Noticed a couple things, by bike doesn't like it when I hold the clutch for long periods. Harder to switch gears to neutral when the clutch was starting to not to keep the gears released. Eventually the bike started to fight me, while holding the clutch, it wanted to go forward. It has been hard to switch to neutral at the end of my drive, and then my wife tells me she is having same issue. I told her its her weak ankle. Now I dont know. I did replace the Clutch a month ago. I should have search this forum first, maybe after breakfast. Tobie

Probably just the age of the bike. Precision is more difficult when the years add up! Maybe you can adjust your clutch cable, is it fully engaging?

Tried to de-restrict her for 45HP again - still.. ;) no easy way... still don't know the camshaft sizes for 45HP version.

But I've tried to change my brake pads when the piston stucked after cleaning and now i cannot pull it out - I think I'll have to pump the air out to pull it out, and then try again.. (?).

Also tried to make valve clearance - but without good tools I've got only one pad out and I'll try to do rest tomorrow..

I did replace the Clutch a month ago. I should have search this forum first, maybe after breakfast. Tobie
Probably just the age of the bike. Precision is more difficult when the years add up! Maybe you can adjust your clutch cable, is it fully engaging?

Okay, I found out my inside clutch cable was being systematically pulled out by the ratchet action of the handlebar clutch action. so it was jamming all that plastic lining into the clutch handle. See pic. it made a nice bow when I pulled the cover off. I have only driven it 15 miles in nice conditions, but It worked nice for the whole duration. I have posted everything I learnt on the posting marked neutral, and no 5th gear. and a pic of how to do the clutch adjustment.

Attachments

• P06-18-13_13.50.jpg
    P06-18-13_13.50.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 233
Today I was standing at the front of the line at the traffic light, and a guy with a fancy, sparkly new, big and fast looking modern naked bike. Didn't really get a good look at it, but I'm guessing it was something like a Suzuki GSR750 or something. Me with my mat black and rusty old '89 XS400 Seca which looks like it's gonna fall apart at any moment. He looks at me, and revs a few times. You know the look. "Let's race" kinda thing. I'm thinking: "hm this is gonna be easy for him, but okay I'll give it a go. No shame in losing an unfair fight anyways"

So the light turns green, and I take off full throttle. Note that I only got my bike last January, and it's my first. After about 2 seconds I'm already over the speed limit by about 20%, so I let go of the throttle. At that point only, he comes flying past going 80 kph where 50 is allowed. Sucker, he just got his *ss handed to him by a 400 cc, 23 year old piece of cr*p :p

Next traffic light we're in the same situation. Rematch. Same story, haha!

I guess some people just assume it's about hp and cc's :) We didn't even get to cornering, but that would've been VERY interesting

So 2-0 for XS400's yesterday :D

Back