What did you do with your XS today?

I was able to get my 2006/7 GSXR Forks on. Put the stock steering stem in the GSXR triples and got it all to line up. Phone died so couldn't get pictures. Will post the pictures on my build thread tomorrow night. Now just have to find a decent compression tester and start working on the engine.

Didn't get to ride today for the first time in about two weeks =( it has been perfect weather, but rainy today.

Found a cool new fuel filter, swapped it's plastic fittings to copper. And I grabbed a new oil filter and some larger pilot jets. Sunday I plan on doing a tune up, throwing some new points on, fancy new plugs and wires. I'm getting restless now that the project is almost completely done... I'm debating pulling the motor and replacing the timing chain Sunday...

On that note, I forgot my service manual at an amigos house who conveniently moved... Is there any way to replace the timing chain without splitting the case?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 241
Nothing today so far; thunderstorms in the forecast mean I drove to work. Planning to fix my leaking camshaft seal tonight though. I bought my fiancee a riding jacket and gloves and she bought a helmet yesterday and we went for a ride together. The SOHC is a bit sluggish with two people on board.

Got my new chain & sprockets on today but the chain seems a little tight. I wrapped it around both sprockets with the tire all the way forward. I had to cut a few links off and then installed the Master link. Is it normal that the chain tensioners are at different points on the axel slots? The tire seems to be strait along with the chain track but the markings are off by 1 hash mark. Oh It seems to ride ok but all I did was up & down the block.

It was with my 650 and wasn't today (Friday PM), but I had a crash.
Broke 3 ribs (on me) and a couple of turn signals, foot-peg and a large SlipStream windshield. The latter took most of the hit and I am told the damage elsewhere is not bad.
When I am more mobile, I will check it out and maybe report to y'all .... if it's not too embarrassing :wink2:.

Large quantity of unexpected sand an gravel on a sharp corner with reverse camber and a tightening turning radius. Luckily the corner is well known to me and I was going the safe speed for bare pavement. I remember realizing I couldn't turn on the aggregate, opting for a straight run into the shallow ditch and fen beyond - then :wtf: seeing the big brown boulder on the other side of the ditch, directly in the new path.
When I attempted a slight course correction I felt the rear go left and I went down right. Very unpleasant but better than a direct hit on the boulder. Live and learn.

Hey Lou
Haven't been on here for a while and had no idea you went down. Glad to hear your (sort of) OK. Hope your going to get back on the horse at some point. I still need a riding partner when I venture into your neck of the woods. And slow down next time you crazy ass kid. :bike:

The marks should line up.
Yep I kinda figured on that. So I'm going to tear it back down and check on what's hanging up my axel. I cut the chain to the number of links of the previous chain. But I also went with a 17T front sprocket. Guess I should have threaded the chain & checked the length first. (hind sight is 100%) I might modify the axel slots if need be but I think there's something causing it to hang up between the slots and the new to me Tensioners.

You might be better off getting a 2nd MasterLink and adding back a couple of links.

When Dave helped me put on my new chain after my chain-break, he talked me into leaving it with extra links. It meant that half-way through the life of the chain I would have to take it apart and grind off a couple of links due to it already being near the end of the adjustment range, however, it did add about 3/4" to the wheel base.

Hey Lou,

Sorry to hear about your crash I have been away on vacation and just saw the post about it. Hope you get back on the bike again soon. I've been riding "project cheap thrills" around the neighbourhood to see how I like the setup and I think it needs a little fine tuning. Went to the local bike show yesterday of which I hope to enter the bobber category next year. Did not have fenders insurance etc. Here are some pictures of the show and one of "project cheap thrills"

Take care all and ride safe.

Attachments

• Round up 1.jpg
    Round up 1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 197
  • Round up 2.jpg
    Round up 2.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Round up 3.jpg
    Round up 3.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 224
  • Round up 4.jpg
    Round up 4.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC01229.jpg
    DSC01229.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 206
Made a brake stay bar out of 1/4" 6061 aluminum for the 80. Then went on a 100 mile ride.:)

Attachments

• 0810141700.jpg
    0810141700.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 203
Figured out why my camshaft seal is still leaking. Problem is, it took stripping a stretched bolt to do it. 10mm bolts are the bane of my existence.

So I went to the garage & looked at the bike a while. Took the chain slack side & lifted it about 1/2-3/4". Looks like the chain isn't too tight but it sure does seem like it. I hadn't taken the axel out to check on my slots yet but I'd bet there's a burr in my slot(sounds personal & painful). I did go to town to run a few errands. The Idle still seems to hang a little when coming to a stop. But the 17T sprocket did drop the rpm by about 500 at 55. When I got home noticed the rear tire is splattered with streaks of chain slop but there was no heat I felt on the chain. A good thing I hope.

Amazing how much even the crappiest touchup can make the frame pop. Masked off some and used a cardboard shield for the rest.
20140810_200916 (Medium).jpg

Welp. Dropped my bike off at the shop to have new tires installed; my rear tire went from nearly-new to flat over the course of an afternoon yesterday. Not sure what happened except that there's a bunch of broken glass around the dumpster behind my building. So much for my new parts budget.

Picked up a new drill press today. Made a few mods to the foot peg brackets on the 80 with it.

Attachments

• 0813141943.jpg
    0813141943.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 213
  • 0813141944.jpg
    0813141944.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 218
  • 0813141946.jpg
    0813141946.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 0813142119.jpg
    0813142119.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 210
Took the rear tire to the shop to be changed, changed rear sprocket (almost). Tomorrow is the front sprocket and my new yellow chain (to match the rest of the bike). Took out my stator and field coil. It's off to custom rewind to be rebuilt. Once thats done, downsize my pilot jets and carb cleaner the carbs for the heck of it. Lastly will be new fork seals and she should be ready to go again.

Back