Which method to clean inside of slighyly rusted tank?(PICS)

TOUGEFC

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys

Im in the process of trying to find what method would work best on cleaning up the inside of my tank, I have done a lot of searching and it seems that most results come up with how to clean a very rusted tank, not much is written about a slightly rusted tank.

Anyway what method should I use? Could I get away with just a wash?
This is the first time ive cleaned a bike tank so its all new to me.
Heres the pics-
15195174522_cbfc01a7de_c.jpg

15172506266_e1ac1b8369_c.jpg

15008857970_ec2dba3c0e_c.jpg

15195129862_fccafe0255_c.jpg

I'd be jealous of a tank that clean!

My tank was very rusty. Tried a bit of electrolytic removal but wound up using Metal Rescue. It neutralized the rust but I needed to shake some loose nuts and bolts around to get the flakes off.
You won't need to do that.

Keeping it full of gas is probably your best option.

That tank is very clean:confused: I would leave it alone and just keep non-ethanol fuel in it.

shit that's one of the cleanest tanks ive seen, I wouldn't even bother to rinse that out. Just fill her up and ride :)

Cant ride it yet mate, at the moment its my project.It has been sitting for the last 8yrs in previous owners shed.

yup, it has a coating on it now, if you were to plastikote it, or Pur 15, or any of the re-coat the insides, the first thing in the kit is an etch-er. It will etch the metal, so that the coating will stick to it better. Do like everyone has said, (and put a in-line fuel filter on to it)

Haha, yes this is definitely one of the cleaner tanks out there. You're almost rubbing it in:wink2: Good luck with your build.

Applecider vinegar or this....though you're still susceptible to flash rusting..possibly you will need to spray WD40 in there or immediately flush with some gas, then fill it. Just my $.02

Back