XSRocker Build

I have a question, anyone know if a swap of a newer front end, R6 YZF-R6 etc, would work and what I might have to do to make it work?

I had the idea of swapping in an r6 front end since they are commonly available but I dont think the stem mesurements work. I did see that a steering stem from an XJ600 is the same. I am new to building and just had some ideas, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

As far as i can tell you simply need to weld the xs400 stem to the r6 yokes to make it work. you'd obviously need to sort out the wheel, brakes etc as well if they're not from an r6 as well

Ok, I was thinking of just getting a full r6 front end (forks, triples, clip ons, brakes, wheel, etc.) I will have to fix the brakes anyway and mine are drums front and rear so I thought a full front end swap would fix a few of the problems right away.

Progress...I love Progress!!!!!

So with some help I knocked out the pins on the opposite side of the seat (since I couldn't unlock the seat lock) then pulled up on that side and used a pry bar...yes a pry bar to get the undone. It wasnt too pretty but the seat came off :)
IMG_20110419_175034.jpg

So then I got to see the 2 decades worth of a mouse family nest (no mice were harmed)
IMG_20110419_173128.jpg

The first bunch that came out of the battery box...
IMG_20110419_173206.jpg

...then the rest as I scrubbed with a socket holder rail
IMG_20110419_174202.jpg

Here is the battery box pretty much cleaned out.
IMG_20110419_175042.jpg

IMG_20110419_175052.jpg

Then I removed the gas tank and drained what I could out of it and removed the rear fender.
IMG_20110419_190117.jpg

IMG_20110419_190128.jpg

I wanted to take the sissy bar off for now but I realized in time that two of the four bolts are the ones for the rear shocks, I didnt take them out because I didnt want to have everything fall out and stuff. Any precautions I should take before those bolts come out?

It really is a heck of a project...I really wanted to try and get it running first but man its nasty all in there so I am thinking of trying to clean a lot of it before and checking the wiring cause I did see one wire missing part of the covering :yikes:

That bike is lucky you found it in what looks like the nick of time. I'm sure if anyone besides an XS lovers would have just junked the whole thing

Well actually I have been wanting to rebuild it for a while but just recently asked my dad if I could have it, yeah it was my dads sitting in the shed for almost all my life. He was really happy to get more shed space. :thumbsup: He has been following the beginning of this build I take and he said he cant wait to ride it again :eek: I better get that title signed over quick! :laugh:

I just wanna rip it apart and clean it all up, it really bugs me when bike's are in that shape.

no issues taking the shocks off the back end will just fall down!

Well I tore into it again, tested the electrical parts...nothing. Well looked like the wiring was shot anyway and now I confirmed it, guess I need a wire harness. Thats about all I did today, kinda pissed me off. Oh well guess try and get all the wiring pulled up and try to clean it all up.

Edit: I did get the sissy bar, rear fender and engine guard taken off that was something I was happy about.

So since my wiring was shot I need a new harness. I was thinking about getting on made with just the "bare bones". One that works everything like lights, turn signals, horn, guages and just general power. I could just use the kick start to start it. Anyone have any idea of where I can get something made? I will have to get the thing inspected so all the road required items need to work.

I would just make one; custom minimalist harnesses usually weigh a lot less too.

Having someone else do this kind of work for you will probably exceed the cost of the bike or come close.

Rather than starting from scratch you could attempt to solder in new sections of wire in the worst areas. Odds are only a few sections are bad. This really isn't too tough. Just replace one wire at a time. Use a multimeter to check for continuity. Grab a manual for other electric specs to see if the goodies and components are working properly.

if you want to replace the whole thing, tear it off, spread it out nicely on a table, and start replacing 1 wire at a time! :) can't really go wrong there!? at least that's how i'd do it :)

looks like a great project! im about to build a harness myself. i need to get down to harbor freight and pick up some wire. i did it on my last build, wasnt as hard as i thought it would be. there has to be some sort of diagram somewhere. ill see if i can find something.

stole this off dotheton.com

<Image removed at request of owner>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Dan I saw that one and kinda liked it. Hopefully it isnt too hard. Couldnt do anything tonight since I had class and a quiz. Might be a little slow for a couple weeks with a final coming up too. I will keep you all up dated.

Ok newb question time, if I use the "simplified wiring diagram" in the tech section, will that be enough to run the bike and the needed lights? Also how do i hook up the fuses when building a new simplified harness?

Disclaimer: I am a newb to building bikes and I especially hate electrical stuff.

that harness only uses one fuse, its a fail safe so the whole bike dies if that fuse pops (cleaner than multiple) but if it pops your sol for the whole bike.

that will run the bike but it is very simple, and not 100% complete, of course you need to elaborate on the harness and add wires/grounds where ever needed to go to each piece of equiptment...

best way to do it if your a newb is to take each component out and lay it on the table...then you have phisical markers to go by and its easy for your noggin to understand where things go

Back