Crazy idea to use exhaust wrap even on mufflers

Iggster

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Came up with a crazy idea this morning to use exhaust wrap on the bike. The crazy idea came in when I thought of starting with the mufflers and working it up all the way. What do you all think? Should this work? I know it isn't meant for the mufflers but can anyone come up with a reason why not to? Please let me know what you all think.

Generally one would not wrap the mufflers because it would look awful and provide very little or no benefit.

Might not look awful - depends on what you're doing with the bike on the whole. If the bike was stock, and the mufflers wrapped, that would look crap. But if it was a detail as part of the build, then it might look cool.

Well I'm certainly with you on the budget tip, Iggster. Pipe wrap on your mufflers could cause a few issues. On headers, you can wrap them up and finish it nicely. If you were to do this on your mufflers, you would likely find it difficult trying to find a way to finish the wrap. Additionally, if your exhaust was chrome, the pipe wrap would hold moisture against it and likely cause it to rust pretty bad.

In regards to my joke comment, I didn't mean it as the idea being a joke. I thought it was more of a "bike exif anti pipe wrap" joke.

yeah...come to think of it, finding a clamp big enough to fit around the muffler would make it look like crap. not that they dont already due to the rust holes I have had to patch until i can afford to replace the mufflers.

Last edited:
Back