Lets see those Handlebars...

New set i made

1E6B25A0-E0B2-4DAA-906B-03CFFADCEB42-895-000000A4623057E4_zpsf0f9a9a5.jpg

Reviving this thread because I wanna see what others have done with their controls(lights,signal,kill switch, etc).

I've been staring at my controls for a while and they really look bulky and dated and since I've been ordering parts, controls are next on my list of things to do and I'm trying to get some ideas. Also is anyone using aftermarket front master cylinder? The old rectangle shape is really bulky and I'm considering going with something slimmer and more modern looking. Any ideas?

For the kill switch I've been looking at something small and without the starter button since I'm going the kick start only route.
http://oldschoolminibike.mybigcommerce.com/products/Universal-Toggle-Kill-Switch-with-47%22-wire-for-7%7B47%7D8%22-or-1%22-handle-bars.html

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-electronic-parts-retro-black-handlebar-mounted-kill-switch-21-1219.html

I actually have no idea what to do with the lights/signal controls. All the aftermarket ones look just as bulky as the OEM one. Only thing is they just look more modern.

I don't have a kill switch, in fact I never have used one!

have you thought of micro switches in conjunction with a relay?

I went for good 'ol drags....am looking to fit some mini switches soon,into the bars.Seen some on ebay,but they're expensive!!!...gonna check out my local electronics shop and see what I can find!!:wink2:

Attachments

• IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 468
A bike off topic, but still about handlebars - When you guys installed new bars, is it as easy as just unscrewing all the controls and then screwing them into place on the new bars? or did you have to drill or cut anything ? (not talking about wires)

A bike off topic, but still about handlebars - When you guys installed new bars, is it as easy as just unscrewing all the controls and then screwing them into place on the new bars? or did you have to drill or cut anything ? (not talking about wires)
The hardest part is removing the left grip they get glued on sometimes and don't like coming off other than that it's usually just unbolt everything and put it all back on the new bars unless the new bars are taller then you will need longer cables and wires

I used micro switches from radio shack for the controls on my sportster and am planning on using them on my Xs build they hold the power fine but you have to solder them in and if you get them to hot they don't hold up so practice a few times before soldering your switches

That's it eh?
I saw a video on you've that involved drilling a hole in the bars for grounding the throttle side controls, xs400s don't have that?

Posted via Mobile

That's it eh?
I saw a video on you've that involved drilling a hole in the bars for grounding the throttle side controls, xs400s don't have that?

Posted via Mobile

No ground wire here either! It litterally took me 10-15 min to change the handlebars!
The only problem was the left grip because it was glued but I didn't care because I was changing the grips, so I just sliced it with an exacto

I'm thinking about flipping my bars (not stock, see pic) to get a different look. Anyone done a similar thing? And how's the ride? I'm quite tall (6''4') so I wont be leaned all the way forward Im thinking.

and is there any right way to get that left grip off without destroying it?

Attachments

• 20130212_172316.jpg
    20130212_172316.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 415
Well, Damn... Maybe in my next order I'll drop the 30$ on a new set of Euro bars...

Thanks guys! The only thing stopping me was thinking i had to measure and drill my own hole for the right side, without that I am probably gonna give it a whirls really soon!

Some times you can get the left grip to come off by putting a crescent wrench on the bar next to it and smacking it off with a mallet

Posted via Mobile

Back