my cafe/custom build (big pics)

tbakic

1st cafe project underway
Reaction score
new picture and color ideas

SEAT UPDATE!!! 11/20

UPDATED 10/16

i got a 1980 xs400 special i wanted to build into something, idk what but something. I discovered cafe bikes and they caught my attention. So i started thinking of things i could do or wanted to do. Im not going for a 100% cafe bike, im just building it to be how i want it.

so i started taking off crap like mirrors, reflectors, crash bars, sissy bars, passenger pegs etc
sorry i dont have any pics of the bike bone stock, stupid me
1000001124.jpg

i got some clubman (i think) handlebars off ebay and put those on right away

first i knew i wanted a different gas tank i tried searching on here for tanks that would fit with or without a little modification then i started a thread and a member suggested i make my own because i had said i was welder/metal fabricator, great idea! here is a link to that thread
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6241

then i knew i wanted a new seat/rear fender combo, after making one i liked out of cardboard i set about cutting the frame of the bike that would b seen because of my new rear fender
photo1-4.jpg

then my brother in law(my foreman/punch programmer/operator at my job) taught me how to use a computer drafting program(10min of learning) so i played around trying to make my cardboard design digital, after finishing that he helped me cut it out on our CNC punch that he runs
photo1-5.jpg

here are some of the pieces freshly cut
photo2-3.jpg

and here i started tacking them together with my TIG welder
photo4-2.jpg

after i test fit it on the bike to make sure everything checked out i set out to full weld it all
photo2-4.jpg

then i ground and polished all the welds and used an random orbit sander to finish the whole thing
photo4-3.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

all in all im pretty happy with it ;)

my plans are to

either powdercoat the stock exhaust high temp flat black or fab up a completely new one, idk yet
possibly new rearsets
two round headlights side by side
dismantling the speedo and tach and light indicators and putting them all in a small custom made surround
possibly removing electric start?

stay tuned guys!!!
(p.s if anyone wants/is interested in my seat pan/fender pm me about it for more info, maybe i can make it for you!!, moderators let me know if i would need a verified seller/vendor status or something like this)

Last edited:
nice, i really like the looks of the removed wheel fenders, may have to do that on mine. how much weight do you save by removing the electric start? the passenger pegs? i have yet to try a kick start on my bike lol. best of luck, im no fabricator so mine shall remain stock.

I am keeping my eye on the tank part of the project for sure.
I need to learn the art of TIG. looks great!

Great work. Can't wait to see the tank come together.

I agree with the other guys - if I could weld like that, then I would be leaving the beads for all to see and not grinding a thing.

I remember when I started tig welding about ten years ago I would always try to convince my boss to let me leave the welds cause I loved the look of the bead ( a welders obsesion). He never let me I always had to do a full polish (food grade can't have little things called food traps anywhere bacteria can grow).

Now I'm just in the habit of polishing but I still like to admire my welds before I make them go away.

They are very nice welds tbakic

Shaun

thanks for the comments guys!
i think ill start a thread for the seat pan for a mini group buy or something ;)

i started on my tank!!!
photo2-6.jpg

here it is test fitted on the bike, i like it so far ;) thats good hahah
photo1-7.jpg

there is a lot more info about my tank build in my tank build thread if you guys are interested

im thinking blood red for the tank and seat pan...and flat black exhaust and rear springs...and perforated metal for side covers

you guys give me an idea for another build, an industrial/steam punk/futuristic combo bike with welds showing and big wires, gears, cannibalized parts from other stuff etc.

if i do i bike with the welds showing i would have to have the CAD guy draw them up so they fit perfectly, my seat pan i made was computer designed by myself but i have about 20min of experience so the fit wasnt quite perfect and some areas of the seat pan had bigger gaps that required filler rod so the weld looked a little different. If the cad guy made them the fit would b 100% all around i could weld the whole thing with the same settings, the only way i would leave the welds showing is if i could make it 100% perfect all the way around, i wouldnt want a single mistake/alteration hahahhaha

you guys give me an idea for another build, an industrial/steam punk/futuristic combo bike with welds showing and big wires, gears, cannibalized parts from other stuff etc.

if i do i bike with the welds showing i would have to have the CAD guy draw them up so they fit perfectly, my seat pan i made was computer designed by myself but i have about 20min of experience so the fit wasnt quite perfect and some areas of the seat pan had bigger gaps that required filler rod so the weld looked a little different. If the cad guy made them the fit would b 100% all around i could weld the whole thing with the same settings, the only way i would leave the welds showing is if i could make it 100% perfect all the way around, i wouldnt want a single mistake/alteration hahahhaha

lots of copper plating and brass stuff? :D

I finished mounting my rear fender/seat pan combo, i used the 3 screw holes built into the frame for mounting. It worked pretty darn good :)
photo1-9.jpg

then i wanted to make my own seat pad, so i got some wood, cut it to shape,
photo2-9.jpg

then got the idea of mounting it with a bracket on the back that i just bolt into from under the fender
here is the bracket freshly punched out, and the metal piece that looks like the exact shape as my wood is to go on top of my wood piece so my foam for my seat doesnt sink down into the holes i had to cut so the bolt heads wouldnt hit my wooden panel

photo3-8.jpg

then i used liquid nails to adhere my top plate and mounting bracket to my wood, i wouldnt trust screws because the wood is only 1/2 in and i couldnt find and wood screws that were short enough with a thick enough thread, to fine a thread and i was afraid they would rip right out. Here is the completed pan, and my foam i cut to size

photo4-8.jpg

i got my vinyl i wanted(marine so it would b waterproof)
and started wrapping it
photo1-11.jpg

halfway there!
photo3-10.jpg

done!!
photo4-10.jpg

photo4-9.jpg

photo1-10.jpg

im so happy with the way it turned out :)

started up again! i got my dual slash cut exhaust on, modified bracket for guages to mount ignition switch up to, fixed bad clutch cable, now trying to get power to the head light.

on order, should arrive this coming week, for gators/gaiters however u wanna spell them lol, and black headlight mounts so i can finish the front end, after that the only thing is new battery and tires and im road ready! the pretty/shiny stuff can wait to get replaced/polished because i WANNA RIDE!!! ;)

Oh and i got pod air filters installed, and rejeted the carbs too, 1 bigger on the pilot and 2 on the main if i remember correctly

one picture of the little progress ive made
2012-04-14-150239.jpg

im going to get the rear fender powdercoated red im thinking, and the tank will be polished to a #8 finish(shiny mirror like) and then exhaust pipes powdercoated hi-temp black ;)

Back