Need some help with a fuel and possibly an electrical issue

unitedhow

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to much help from this site I've got my bike running. Today I went to drive it to the dmv and the battery died. I've run it several times with driving and may have left the key on for 20 min. Is that enough to discharge a new battery? Will it sitting in the bike unused a couple weeks drain it?

Also when I set the petcock to prime I get fuel. When I turn it to on or reserve nothing. The vacuum tube is connected to the right side carb. Is it ok to drive it for a bit set to prime (just the dmv and back a couple miles tops) thanks

Chances are that you didn't run the bike long enough or at high enough RPM to charge the battery. Of course you should charge the battery, then get the bike running and check the voltage and ensure that you see 14+ volts.

The petcock won't flow fuel in the on or reserve position until the engine is running. It shouldn't cause any problems running the bike in the prime position, but you won't have any reserve left when you run out. So don't let the tank get empty!

Back