new to the bike world any advice is greatly appreciated

shafer

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Just got my first bike it's a 1981 xs400 pretty rough shape tank and carbs are off and totally dry any advice on how to get this bike back on the road would be greatly appreciated this is the bike I plan on getting my licence with it was owned by my father before he passed and was given to my sister who gave several people access to it I am pretty decent with mechanics in general but have never messed with bikes I have ridden but only enough to say I have really also is there an app for this forum I can download to my phone?

Hi and welcome!

don't know if there's an app, don't think so actually

as for the carbs, clean and rebuild them. have a search on the forum for some instructions. If they were totally dry when you took them off already, also check your petcock and your float needle assemblies (these are in the carbs). Check out this thread for some info and walkthroughs and don't forget to post some pics ;)

Hiya and welcome to the forum!

Photos really help when trying to help over the net so I always try to snap lots of pics when I do new stuff on bikes, it also helps with reassemly and when I ask myself if that small important part was there originally or if I lost it!!!

A great way to learn is to get some help from someone local who knows what they're doing, if you have any friends or neighbours who are into bikes you could ask them to take a look and give you some pointers, people into bikes generally really like to pass on the knowledge and its lots of fun getting a bike running when its been sat for years!

A once read an article on Dans Motorcycle website about getting a bike going that hasn't run for ages and it was very basic and well written, I'll try to find a link...

Can't find it exactly but check this out for loads and loads of info!!

http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

Welcome to the forum:) Pics of your bike will help when you have question:wink2:

I will have to dig the bike and all the pieces out before I can take any pics it got buried in the shed behind the lawn mower

Posted via Mobile

With the kind of winter most of us have had, a lot of them will be buried for a while:laugh:

Isnt that the truth Chris at least a lot of the snow we had has been melting.With this being March I don't expect to see bare ground for long Im sure we`ll get more snow.

Our weather has been bouncing back and forth between highs in the 60's or 70's to cold windy and a chance of snow

Posted via Mobile

Took this photo which actually doesn't look bad but the bike is in rough shape

Attachments

• IMG_20140323_152932_309.jpg
    IMG_20140323_152932_309.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 222
Back