Questions I can't find through google

oldguy

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello, My name is oldguy and I just started riding this May. I took the Motorcycle Course which allowed me to now have my M2.
.As I am new at this I purchased a smaller bike to allow me to gain confidence. It is the most enjoyable sensation to be out there on a sunny day riding (nowhere in particular). I have a 1984 Maxim400 Yamaha bike. I have been all over on google to find several pieces for my bike but cannot anywhere for 1984 find a 400 Maxim

Can anyone give me a site? I am looking for a shifter as the one on the bike is not original and I have to take my foot off the peg in order to shift gears.
I also want to obtain an owner's manual as there was not one when I bought the bike.

Appreciate any help I can get.

OLDGUY

Hi Oldguy (yes, we know that isn't really your name, regardless what your kids call you) and welcome!

Your best bet for finding used parts is probably ebay. There may be a motorcycle wrecking yard near you (where ever Lunenberg is...), but there aren't many of our bikes to be found in them. I've found parts at Zdeno's in Kitchener and NCK Cycle in Woodstock. I'd also search kijiji.ca as I've seen parts being listed there as well. Be sure to only buy parts that fit your Maxim. Parts for other XS400's are usually not interchangeable. Even parts for the Seca, which also had the same engine, aren't always interchangeable. You can also post a wanted ad in the classified section here.

Your shift lever may just need to be adjusted. You can find a PDF copy of the manual in one of the sticky threads at the top. It is a Seca manual, but it will cover most of the important info.

Good luck!
Dave

Back