Rear wheel alignment/possible brake problems

Grue2593

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
(1978 XS400, just fyi)
So I've taken off and put the rear wheel back on a number of times now, but the problem remains. When I engage the rear brake, there is a slight bump (to the left I'd say) and a muffled whirring noise that goes down in pitch as the bike slows. Not only that, but it feels like I'm getting less braking power as well. This problem has forced me to use the front brakes more than I should and I don't want to wear them down. The bump has also started happening when I tilt the bike for a right turn.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the problem is that the rear wheel is somehow angled too far right (like at about 1 instead of 12). There's a slight mark on the circumference of the right side of the tire, so I think the tire is rubbing against the frame. The chain adjusters can manipulate this weird angle thing, but when I think I get it straight, nothing changes.

Does anyone else have experience/advice with this? I'll post some pictures a little later.

There is a plumb line technique method for aligning the back tire with the front. I have never tried it but apparently it is very accurate.
http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/downloads/Harley%20Davidson%20Wheel%20Alignment%20Made%20Simple.pdf
If once you confirm that you have it lined up properly, the thing still goes bump-in-the-night, it sounds like you will have to take the rear wheel hub apart and find out what is loose/bent/broken inside.

do you still have the spacer between the wheel bearings?

sounds like it was omitted at some point

Also the left bearing should have a spacer collar fitted inside the bearings and a few peeps have thrown these away when renewing bearings. They need to be pressed out and reinserted

Theres a break down schematic on partszilla site that shows all the spacers and such.It also shows how they all go into place.I`ll be doing this on my bike soon but Im taking pics.

Back