Starting to fix up my bike.

infeliciter

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey yall. I just decided that I would finally fix up my XS400. i've had it for about 5 years and its been sitting in the open for 4 of those 5. I've finally got some time to work on it, so the first step is going to be fixing the wiring. when i last had it running it had some electrical issues. 2 owners ago (i bought from a friend for $200) thought he would redo the wiring and just did a terrible job. thinking about using this (found here on the site) to simplify and clean up.

View attachment 3856

I havent really worked on bikes much, so this will be a learning experience. Most of my background is with modding cars. especially airride and audio. hopefully this thing wont cost me too much to get going. i know that the motor is in great shape so it shouldn't. anyway i thank you all in advance for all the help and inspiration that you will/have given me. haha. (i'll post some pics of the heap that i got when i finally take some)

Thanks, hopefully this thing will be less of a headache then all of my other projects. haha.

Just be wary; that diagram is simplified to a great extent. There is a manual for download on the site or one of us can scan a diagram from another manual at your request.

Just be wary; that diagram is simplified to a great extent. There is a manual for download on the site or one of us can scan a diagram from another manual at your request.

Thanks, i downloaded a bunch. the wiring that i currently have is awful so i'm going to cut it to bare bones. it just needs to be able to run and not kill the battery anymore.

I used that diagram on my bobber. It is simple and basic. The only thing I changed is the signals, but I just created my own circuit for that. I also switched to a Dodge regulator instead of the original.
BTW, it really helps to have an original diagram also

Thanks Guys, i just picked up a new battery. unfortunately the acid spilled on the way home so i gotta get that replaced before i can charge it. i found out that my old trickle charger was destroyed so the electrical on the bike might not be ruined. hopefully it isnt. i'll try and grab a few pics today since the weather is decent.

Ya, signals. No mufflers, no front fender, homemade everything, but I thought I'd have signals just to put in an effort and look like I care. Maybe they will be so impressed they won't ask about the other stuff.

Ya, signals. No mufflers, no front fender, homemade everything, but I thought I'd have signals just to put in an effort and look like I care. Maybe they will be so impressed they won't ask about the other stuff.

:laugh::thumbsup:

Got some more acid for the battery so i'll get that on the trickle tonight. i hope this doesnt turn into another money pit, just a money trap. haha. its now raining (i'm in WA state so thats normal) so i'll grab some pictures when it clears up. right now its just ugly, nothing to be proud of.

so i found out the wiring is shot. i'm sure everything was killed by rain and snow. so i will need to rewire and replace the electrical. i'll be going as simple as possible. if i need to ad stuff i'll tackle that down the road.

thats the plan for the start of next week. the wife will be out of town so i wont have much to do.

Tore out a bunch of the wiring but i have no idea how to get the headlight off or open. can anyone point me in the right direction?

just 1 or 2 screws on the rim but under neath, pull the rim out there and it will hinge from the top.

Then the thing should fall out along with the wiring :D

Back