Talk me out/into this purchase (New welder)

S3Rider

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485145_200485145

I have been using my dads Mig welder to do what I have needed to do. I have moved out of the area and dont have that as a usable option anymore. Looking at getting my own machine and this one came up in my searches. The multiprocess intrigues me as I would like to learn to Tig eventually and for 90 bucks more you can get this

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485165_200485165?isSearch=20462

I am not looking to use it as a professional machine but dont want to get something underpowered that will leave me hanging. The reviews seem good but I am not sold just yet.

What do you all think?

200A is plenty enough power for any welding to be done on a motorcycle, agree with monkey its a decent unit for the price, i say go for it, should last u forever and once u learn to TIG then u can have real fun customizing :)

I agree. Alot of the those machines are also the same as the Matco/Cornwell/Snap On units, just in a different case. The important thing is that you're getting it from a reliable source and should have no problems getting something taken care of should you have an issue. I'd say go for it, that's a good deal coming with the spool gun.

if you didnt already buy this try 'everlast welders' theyve got some sweet multi setups for reasonable prices. theyre made in china some where out of the same factory as thermal dynamics which is a reputable company.

i have an everlast plasma and its awesome. 500 bucks

check out weldingtipsandtricks.com jodie does a review on one vs a miller

its good to keep in mind; yeah they look good in the picture and theyre painted up nice yellow, are you going to be able to find consumables for the guns and torch. lots of times they are totaly different than anything your local welding supply has. and the more features and doodads these cheap little welders have the more things that can go wrong.

Back