What did you do with your XS today?

Chopped off the stock exhaust down to 20 in at a 15° angle to try mimicking some harley exhausts I like and although I think I did a good job, specially with the cleaning and prepping before I paint, I am probably going to eventually replace them with a straight shorty. Not a fan of the megaphone (cone) shape.
View attachment 27050
FYI. I am taping the headers.

Hope those where bad/rotted mufflers because you could have sold them for good money.

News to me, I never looked into how much they went for but I won't be able to get new ones anyway and I am planning on starting to put my bike together over the weekend (I finally get my frame back from powder coating) so I am trying to have everything else in line for it.

Charged up my new yuasa yb 12aa with my new ctek charger. These chargers are the dogs you can leave it connected for months on end and will keep your battery in great condition.

Went for a ride yesterday... after stopping for coffee and a bagel when i started it up everything was cool.... revs bogged down a little low and when i gave it some gas the engine immediately cut out with an audible CLICK and there was a PUFF of grey smoke coming from under the seat! After spending a good 10 mins poking and prodding around the visible wires and fuses i started it back up with no issues and all the electrical worked. Rode home totally normal and started up fine this morning.

What the hell got burned up!? anyone ever experience this or something similar?

Yo
Went for a ride yesterday... after stopping for coffee and a bagel when i started it up everything was cool.... revs bogged down a little low and when i gave it some gas the engine immediately cut out with an audible CLICK and there was a PUFF of grey smoke coming from under the seat! After spending a good 10 mins poking and prodding around the visible wires and fuses i started it back up with no issues and all the electrical worked. Rode home totally normal and started up fine this morning.

What the hell got burned up!? anyone ever experience this or something similar?
Your wallet caught fire.

Made a base for my seat! This has been what I think one of the biggest obstacles to overcome! After cutting off the rear frame and welding on a hoop, you don't have many options for a seat except to modify an existing one, or make your own. I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood to roughly the shape I wanted, soaked it overnight in a big pan of water with a brick on it,then while wet, clamped it to the frame and let dry for 2 days. I then put 2 layers of fiberglass mat on while still clamped to frame and laid in the resin. After it dried, I trimmed it down to the finished size and put another coat of resin on everything. I have some ideas for mounting it, but that's another day.
Seat base clamped on.JPG

Made a base for my seat! This has been what I think one of the biggest obstacles to overcome! After cutting off the rear frame and welding on a hoop, you don't have many options for a seat except to modify an existing one, or make your own. I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood to roughly the shape I wanted, soaked it overnight in a big pan of water with a brick on it,then while wet, clamped it to the frame and let dry for 2 days. I then put 2 layers of fiberglass mat on while still clamped to frame and laid in the resin. After it dried, I trimmed it down to the finished size and put another coat of resin on everything. I have some ideas for mounting it, but that's another day.View attachment 27078
Glassed seat base top view.JPG
Seat base glassed.JPG

Yesterday, I finished cleaning the carbon off of my valves (replacing the head due to a bolt that got sucked in and resulted in a bent valve and head damage). I then lapped the valves, finished cleaning the bare head and head cover, and painted them. Hopefully today, I will be reassembling the head and reinstalling it.

Goofed up and lost the only key.

Update:
Someone at the wife's apartment found them and turned them in. Still can't believe it... never lost a key before. Now to get a couple extra copies made.

Last edited:
If your going to spend that kind of money, text Pamcopete, see if his solulution is better?
http://www.xs400.com/threads/new-pamco-electronic-ignition-on-mikes-xs.12919/
http://www.xs400.com/threads/new-pamco-electronic-ignition.13666/

his website is http://xs400ignition.com/ and it seems to be available via MikeXS.com, Its meant for the SOHC.
yeah i would if i could mine does not have the point system it is an 84 thanks for the info though i picked a tci up today for 125 works amazing put my motor back togather and she is ready for the road

Pete has models for points and TCI bikes. I believe the TCI replacement should do DOHC bikes no problem.
Too late now I suppose.

Edit for anyone else coming along: Contact pete regarding compatibility, of course.

Last edited:
You're right, of course, it's a different curve. I don't know if it's been asked but Pete may be able to do a one-off with a different timing curve programmed. The timing information is certainly available.

Back