What did you do with your XS today?

After taking a long hiatus from working on the XS, I've come back to it with a goal, and a new vision in mind. Today I put a down payment on a new 1.5 lb Lithium-ion Ballistic battery and pick it up between Monday and Wendesday. Switched over to NGK resistor plugs and slapped on some racing wires a few days ago, but that's a few days ago.
Plans are many, but time is short.

Probably not Scorpio. Our bikes top speed tends to be power limited, not RPM limited. The 17 tooth gear drops the revs by about 500 RPM for a given speed, for easier cruising.

IMG_20130427_182007_zpsb4490306.jpg

Posted via Mobile

I bought new clutch and throttle cables today spark plugs battery seat cover and a front caliper.
and the most exciting purhase a side panel for £8 its a seca in the UK finding any good parts forit on ebay is amazing. ;o)
Then stood and stared at it for about 3/4 of an hou

Nothing today but yesterday I rebuilt my carbs installed them on the bike and ran the engine for the first time in two years then found out my clutch works when it wants to and the cable is stretched so now I am going to rebuild the clutch and new cable and maybe a new clutch handle as mine has a lot of play in the pivot bushing. Still looking for a new fuel tank as my old one looks like a veggie steamer

went to Stafford with a few members of the YOC. Tracker ran great

Some cool bikes. My mate decided to race a Norton cafe racer at the lights and failed to see a police car :doh:
he ended going the wrong way then as we were turning right :laugh:

got rained on near Jodrell bank (the space telescope) but overall a great day out :)

2 xs400's there , mine and Tommy on a Seca owned from new

Attachments

• me, bippo, airhead and tommyxs 28.4.13.jpg
    me, bippo, airhead and tommyxs 28.4.13.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 235
Rode her for the first time since the rebuild:thumbsup: runs great but the clutch is slipping but all and all im really happy with it just gotta finish the cafe tail figure out the clutch and im ready to go

Posted via Mobile

Reduced main jets from 150 to 147.5 due to warmer weather. May have to go down to 145.
Touched-up the paint on the exhaust.
Put thicker rubber bumpers on the front of the seat pan to try to rake the seat back a bit.
Installed a trailer light converter module that now has the rear turn signals also acting as brake lights. Those cagers will see me, darn it! ;)

And since my last post, I've removed and dis-assembled the headlight assembly so I could weld one of the headlight retaining ring mounts back on. And put it all back together again. Git 'er done! :)

I used hitemp silicone to secure the welch plug in the starter motor hole.

I painted the headlight bucket. I had already repaired, filled, sanded, drilled and primed the bucket. There's quite a bit of orange peel that i will colour sand and maybe lay a couple more coats on.

Do you guys recommend a final clear coat or just leave the gloss black?

I am NOT amused! :thumbsdown:
Went for a lovely drive, had a coffee in the warm sunshine, went for another nice ride.
When it was time to go home, started away from the first stop shifted into 2nd and the chain snapped. :wtf:
Luckily I was only going as fast as an xs4r00 goes in 1st gear and the chain didn't lock up the rear wheel. But getting it home was not picnic. :banghead:
And now what? Do I buy a master link and and a master link tool? Do I take the rear wheel off and slip a new chain on? :shootme:

Get a new chain! If one link was worn enough to snap, what are the rest like? A new chain will have a master link so removing the rear wheel won't be required. Though it may need to be adjusted for chain slack.

There are no special tools for master links, just for breaking the chain to shorten it. The side cover will have to come off to get the chain on the front sprocket, especially considering you have a 17 tooth gear in there. You may want to inspect your sprockets for wear. Worn sprockets will eat a new chain for lunch...

Back