For Sale - '84 Maxim xs400

Lou Ranger

Former xs400 Luddite
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone. My shed is now full of the new Maxim 650 and I will have to pass the xs400 on.
Per the recent Ontario insurance thread, there is no 2nd bike discount, even for 3rd party liability when only one bike can be ridden at any one time.
So, as much as I'd like to be a collector ...

• The bike is an '84 Maxim with 41,712 kms.
  • Battery and chain were new last year (@39,600).
  • Rear tire should be good for another year or 2.
  • Front tire might pass the Ont. safety and give you 1 or 2k kms, but I'd budget to replace it soon.
  • Everything works well on the bike, but if you want un-repaired perfection, you'll need to buy a new rear turn signal.
  • $850

84 Maxim 400 FOR SALE.jpg . . . . . . 84 Max 400, rs.jpg . . . . . . Front sprocket, 17T.JPG

I also have a Spitfire windshield that fits it well and which I can also sell, though I'm happy to keep it if a buyer didn't want it.

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a Maxim in great shape, this is the bike! I've seen it, helped LR work on it, and gone on rides with them. It is in great condition mechanically and cosmetically, especially when considering it's age and mileage. :thumbsup:

Chris, Dave, Kristina - thanks for the nice words.
I hope to hang around the Forum, and to keep on reading here, even if I won't have any more "current" anecdotes to contribute. It is by far, bar none, the best group that I have encountered.

Probably, I will have to stop making contributions (wouldn't want to get Travis or Drewpy after me). But, for as long as Max remains unsold, I guess I can consider myself a "collector".

Hey Lou,
Congrats on the upgrade. Be sure to send us some pics of the new ride. If your going to linger on the site for a while keep a watch out for our next group ride. Your always welcome to join in. You just may have to pull over once in while so the rest of us can catch up;-)):bike:

Well I hope you at least stay in touch I will definitely miss your since of humor,btw does the sprocket work on sohc bike and how many teeth.I need a new one.Take care and enjoy the new ride.

... btw does the sprocket work on sohc bike and how many teeth...
The 17T works great - takes about 400-500 rpms off at cruising speeds (50-60 mph).
When I was deciding to make the switch 2 yrs. ago, a number of people on here with SOHCs chimed in and said 17T worked the same for them.
Since the sohc has a larger rear sprocket than the DOHC, a 2nd option for a SOHC owner is to switch to a 34T or 35T rear.

sorry to see you sell the 400 Lou. Good luck with it though, I think with these comments here and for that price you shouldn't have any problems selling it. Always a plus to buy a bike from a seller who knew his stuff :thumbsup:

@ Dave - thanks for the endorsement. Our 800 ccs did look good together! :wink2:

@ Willem - thanks for the kind words but maybe that's why I've only heard from "low-ballers" so far.
The best that can be said of my bike stewardship is that I always knew what stuff I didn't know (most), and acted accordingly - i.e., I would ask on this Forum and try to take the advice.

When I would deviate from this pattern, an owner-inflicted maintenance opportunity or a thread like this would result: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8626

BTW my mrs said I spend enough $ my othger hobbies and the only way I could buy another bike would be to sell the one I already have.Also she said sell some of my 10 computers I have and get my Jimmy project finished and she might consider it.:laugh:

BTW my mrs said ... she might consider it. :laugh:
Sounds good.
Let me know when you're down to 1 computer and 1 working Jimmy.

If you take out the back seats and I take off the mirrors and turn down the bars, she should roll right into the back! (the bike, not your Mrs. ....)

She's sold. . I think it went to a good home - another Forum member. I'll let him provide any details if he chooses to share.

I know it's an inanimate object, but it is with some sadness that I said goodbye.
I really understand why people with big garages, barns or loose local building codes have more than one.
My first "Big-Boy-Bike" has left the nest. :(

Back