Cam chain guide problems

Pork Chop

XS400 Junkie
Reaction score
Finally took the topend off my 81 xs250. The plastic on the top "T" of the cam chain guide fell apart when I removed the guide & I only just stopped a piece falling into the transfer case. Brittle piece of sh!t. :wtf:

Now will the exposed metal "T" hold it in place or should I replace with a new one?

The tensioner looks ok but I fear if the guide was brittle then the tensioner could be ready to come apart too.

What do you guys think?

Posted via Mobile

Listen to your feelings. I would be worried about the rest of the tensioner falling apart.
Try to find a new one.

Both plastic pieces of the chain tensioner are available for about $50. Compare that to the mess,expense, and potential personal injury if it fails at speed. I would replace it and then celebrate that I did not get hurt over it.

Both plastic pieces of the chain tensioner are available for about $50. Compare that to the mess,expense, and potential personal injury if it fails at speed. I would replace it and then celebrate that I did not get hurt over it.

Good point Arclight. It could have been alot worse & watching it break made it pretty easy to identify the problem. the new parts will cost alot less than an,engine rebuild. Had it broke while riding (and I survived) then I highly doubt that I could of diagnoised the cause of the problem too.

I am just suprised that the subject has not been brought up on this forum before.

thanks again from a newbie for more good advice. :thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Cool sounds good, did you get them cheap? Just on a side note hows your 400 conversion coming along, i really hope you pull that off because that would be great to know someone who has done it.

Cool sounds good, did you get them cheap? Just on a side note hows your 400 conversion coming along, i really hope you pull that off because that would be great to know someone who has done it.

Cost $48 shipped from Ohio.

I wouldn't call I am doing a "conversion" more like a mutant love child of a 250 & 400. :laugh:

If I just chuck in the 400 jugs & pistons the compression ratio will be really high so i looked at machining the pistons to lower compression but there is not enough meat in the crown. Machining the head will cost close to getting a head shipped from the US. There is a bit of slack in the cam chain so I am going to try a copper cylinder base gasket & only use 98ron fuel (& keep my fingers crossed that the cam timing isn't too out of whack).

I was planning on doing some painting this weekend but there has been so much rain that I will probably have to postpone it - anyway, I can't complain as 2/3 of the state is now under flood!!

Posted via Mobile

Back