Clutch Problema

BossAuss

81 XS BRat
Reaction score
I've just finished a full rebuild on my 81 xs400. I've been test riding it for the past few days and the only thing i cant get dialed in is the clutch. I've adjusted the clutch correctly at the worm gear and lever. It has a brand new clutch cable on it. The problem is the lever seems very tough to pull back. It almost feels like im stretching the cable. My xs650 is a lot easier to pull. Also when I shift up through the gears their isn't a very distinctive click between shifts. I'm used to feeling a click each time I change gears. Also finding neutral is pretty tough. All in all it shifts like crap.

try re-routing your cable, I posted the diagrams ions ago so you need to do a search.
alos make sure your chain is adjusted properly and you have the correct oil in the bike. hopefully you didn't lose the ball bearing that goes with the clutch rod :)

Thanks for the response. I'll check the chain. The cable is routed correctly but Ill try different positions. I know the ball in the worm gear is there. I'm running 15w40 rotella oil. Thats what I run in the 650 and it works great. Any other ideas on why it doesn't seem to click between gears?

On the shifting the shift shaft is adjustable. It improperly adjusted, this might be part of the problem. On the cable routing have it as straight as you can NO sharp bends.
One more thing did you lube the cable? they don't come lubed. The best way is to remove the cable from the bike. Hang it up. On the upper end make funnel around the cable and fill it with motor oil. Let it set. After awhile the oil will dribble out the lower end. You can speed up the process by pulling the inner cable up and down in the casing.
The cable lube you get in a spray can that uses one of those clamp on the cable thingies Work for about a day or two The lube is too light.
Leo

Thanks! I actually found the problem. I disassembled the clutch this morning and found that the PO stacked 3 of the steel discs on top of each other between the 3rd and 4th friction plates. Maybe he thought there was supposed to be 8 friction plates and decided to use an extra steel disc to compensate for what he thought was missing. Honestly I have no clue. Anyway, I removed the extra plates and cleaned everything up. After filling it back up with new oil and testing it out, all the previous problems are gone. Shifts like a champ, pulls hard, and the lever feels great!

makes you wonder what else is severely messed up on that bike :wtf: I'd be seriously worried if it has been meddled with like that

Back