First 100 mile trip

buschkj24

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today was my first 100 mile trip with the ol' gal on the interstate. The bike handled it "ok" I would say. Normally going to and from work I run the interstate for about 10 miles round trip but this trip was a real eye opener. The bike ran smoothly at 70-75 mpg and achieved 54 mpg on the trip, but she is no cruiser the seat is pretty uncomfortable after mile 50 but that's why they make rest area's haha. Temp outside was a nice 81 degrees but the wind was gusting to 25mph straight across the bike made for some hairy moments but overall not too bad. Checked my oil temp and was steady at 215 so no overheating. I will say when the bike is cruising at 70-75 the rpm range is high enough to cause some vibration, but slow down to 60 and it's silky smooth. All in all it was a good learning trip to see how she handles the higher speed but if I'm going to go on longer trips I'll have to get a bigger bike with some more weight so the wind has less effect.

yea sounds about right. It's pretty doable at those speeds

Good to hear it's running well :thumbsup:

These bikes are not the best highway bikes but it can be done.

I do about 200 highway miles per week on mine. Agreed that they aren't the best highway bikes, but I have no problem doing 60 mph as long as I keep an eye on my tach or have someone to match speed with in a car. I do notice that it lacks acceleration over 6.5k in high-gear since that's the end of its torque curve. The stock stepped seat is actually really comfortable for me, but it might also be due to my "extra padding" :laugh: .

Back