french xs400

Engine looks awesome Niko!! I think the stock tank looks fine with the seat/cowl combo you have. They seem to flow together pretty well. Maybe a picture from more of a top and behind the bike view to say for sure though....Either way, it's looking great man!

tks for your advice
some pictures with counter and light simulation!

the tank seems large but i don't know...

The seat must be rectified to enlarge near the thank. The side seat must be more parallel and not like spike

P1020671.JPG

P1020672.JPG

P1020673.JPG

I see what you mean now....I figured a different view would help. The tank does look like it's a little "chubby" compared to the cowl. In my opinion though, I think the cowl is playing tricks on the eyes....I think the cowl being longer and narrower than most is making the tank look bigger than it really is.

Maybe take a look at skillzman1's write-up on knee dents....if you're interested. That would give the tank a "slimmer" figure and would lend itself to the style and look of your cowl. It would also save the headache and wallet-abuse of finding a smaller tank....Just a suggestion though.

tks hardtailed.

It's very dificult to find the good tank only by web! it ll be easier if i could try the tank before but i can't...:(

do you thinks it's ugly and so big with the stock tank?
I confess I do not know what to think!

yea, dish that tank, that'll narrow it and still give you the correct amount of room underneath for the coils.

tks hardtailed.

It's very dificult to find the good tank only by web! it ll be easier if i could try the tank before but i can't...:(

do you thinks it's ugly and so big with the stock tank?
I confess I do not know what to think!
Not ugly at all man!! I still think it looks great, and if you decide to run the bike just the way it sits, you would never have anyone say anything. If it wasn't for you pointing the issue of the tank out, I would have never noticed. I think once painted, you'll be much happier with the set-up you have compared to putting money on another tank. Use the tank man! I would!!

I would leave it as well. Nice shape and once it is painted and finished it will have a cool street-tracker look. Greets from Munich Hannes

Hi, nice engine !

I think if you didn't want to go to the trouble of modifying the tank, give it a striped paint job, perhaps American racing colours, blue, with a wide white stripe straight down the middle front to back, it would make the tank seem slimmer - narrower.

Or, if you are a good welder, cut a strip say 30 to 60 mm wide out of the middle front to back, and then re-weld it up. You would need to re-work the underside possibly to clear the frame.

Last Saturday we cut the frame and I started to change the tail but I am always focused on the gas tank. I have to persuade me to leave too, but I can not do! Maybe one day :banghead:

I read on the technical review that there were an Tank 11l for 360xs or 400xs.
have you pictures and what exact model they were mounted

IMG_7896.JPG

P1020680.JPG

P1020684.JPG

P1020690.JPG

I did a test with a DTMX tank.
I think it's better, more in dirt track's spirit. the tank would be better a little down, I think that is possible by cutting the coil brackets.
It's a 7liter tank, very little, but if it's look better than the stock tank it doesn't matter.

What do you think : stock or dtmx?

P1020703.JPG

P1020705.JPG

if the rear of the tank can be lowered to meet the seat, the front line should match the front down tube line.

looks good!

the dtmx tank contain only 7 liters, what about the consumption for xs400?do you think I could do 100-120km ?

My '80 XS400 gets about 55 mpg (U.S. gallon). Seven liters is about 1.85 U.S. gal so you would have about 100 mile range or about 160 Kms. Depends on the length of your rides. For me, that would be a little too tight.

I can can only get 100 miles using my original tank, i think that only holds about 2 galls. must be circa 8L.

Back