HID headlight conversion

Try adjusting the idle mixture, syncing the carbs, and if required, raise the idle speed slightly.

Adding a load to the electrical system will put more of a load on the engine. This is what is supposed to happen. What shouldn't happen is the idle speed dropping so much. Especially when one considers the minimal load (35W) of the HID. The drop in idle speed and the increased electrical load is causing the voltage to drop. The charging systems on our bikes are rather weak at low RPM. For example, my 200W air-horn will drop my idle speed noticeable, and pull the voltage from 14V down to 10V. Above 2000 RPM it does neither, and it is noticeably louder as well.

You are not a doctor, stop trying to cure the symptoms and cure the cause.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave,

i'll try a carb tune up again. I'm at 2.5-2.75 turns out right now on both carbs and i sync'd the carbs. The reason why i think its a weak spark is it also feels like i have a lot less power while riding, i hit 6k rpms really quickly with the headlight on but definitely don't pull as hard at 6k as i normally would with the headlight off.

I already ordered a rectifier so, i'll see if a carb sync or new rectifier fixes anything.

Now, what is the normal drop in rpm at idle with the headlight on? i have led lights on all other lights, but even with the fix it drops about 200rpm. with the new grounding wire, it seemed like i was able to idle much lower with the headlight on. But i also still noticed a slightly weaker spark when i'm riding, feels almost like i'm riding my bike with an extra 50 pounds.

I am with dave, There is an extension for the HID light kit, so if your ballast, is not close enough. All this chat about headlight on or off, leads me to think you have replaced a relay, that you probably needed. The original wiring sends power straight from the stator, to the headlight via a relay. The wrong relay there will prevent the un-adulterated power from attending your headlight. (even thou its only 35 watts, it was designed to get 55/60 watts to the headlights.)

On/off switch? did you put one in?

When your examining the wires for fraying, include bending them to feel for crackling. you will hear the crackling/feel it. if there is a bad segment, it will be just below the rear of the engine, where the wire goes straight up. the Wire next to the connector, you can bend it, all day long, and never fear it from breaking, the segment under the engine, may be frayed, (not pictured) and feel tight/crackly.

Your stator looked fine from what I can see. my experience with that segment, it was easier to remove the connector to pull the wire down, and out of the back/rear of the motor, so you can maybe replace that segment.

Solve the answers? is it the original relay? (2 relays, one relay will have the white wire going to it, for Head light power) other one will have the blue or yellow for the safety check's for starting the bike. (i might be wrong since I didn't reference the diagram.)

When you say your adj 2.75 on the carb, you do mean the Pilot screws right? top front of the carb? (closest to the engine?)

(my thoughts)
wrong relay.
bad wire is still possible, because I am not sure you went far enough to the rear, for inspection purposes
by default our website strongly recommends from the bench tuneup positions, the pilots screws should be left at 3 turns out.
Since I don't hear you mentioning it, I assume you put in the Metric bike LED conversion wires so that the turn signals will work? (other wise you could ground with those, and they are in the headlight bucket already)

Its hard to know what a weaker spark means, unless you can validate with a spark measuring device. Lot of us will tune the pilot jets based on spark plug characteristics. White, too hot, black and suety too rich. you have to be care full not to pull the plugs out and ruin the threads, (look it up on here, lots of stories) Depending on your local Yamaha dealer, you may be able to bring your coils in to their shop, and get them tested them out. for a small fee they can do anything. Mine said one was too good. I think they said the got zapped by it. I think I remember one of them shouting out when it zapped.

[PROBLEM SOLVED]
Thanks arfstrom,

i literally just got out of the garage. So let me explain the main issue here just to sum it up. When my original headlight 35W stock would turn on my bike would idle lower and kill me bike if i was warmed up enough and even then it was embarasssingly dim.

I decided to convert to an HID Bi Xenon, which i did expecting less power draw thus a bright light and less idle problems. But it didn't had the same exact response. Thought it was wiring etc. but then while cleaning my carbs i went to check the static timing and noticed (photo attached) my right point was slightly misaligned because a c-clip was missing. I'm an idiot for not noticing this after re doing my timing 6 times over 3 months. sorry.

any ways, i fixed that. checked my valves, re did my timing (gap and all), and she fires up perfect. after turning on the light the idle barely drops 50rpm.

but as annoying as this was, i got me to clean my carbs, check my valves, timing, re solder grounding points, etc. so at least now i can do it all over again in a few months.

thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 324
Glad to hear you got it resolved!

Now that I see the headlight lens you modified, I feel sad. That particular lens is the best design for use on a motorcycle. But now that you have the projector installed, it is a moot point. Oh well. Looks like you did a good job with the installation of the projector lens.

For anyone reading this and looking for an H4 headlight lens, take a close look at the lens pattern in the previous pictures. Note how the lens pattern is the same right side to left side. This is an older lens pattern for motorcycles that is marked as DOT compliant, however is a true E-code lens pattern that favors "on the road" lighting performance over stupid requirements (DOT). If you ride at night on twisty roads, this is the lens pattern you want! Be sure to protect your headlight from damage, these lenses are no longer being manufactured, so when they are gone...

Dave

ya i love this lens.

you think the pattern is pointless with an HID projector? the light does tilt with me and angle when i make sharp turns, didn't realize it was because of that pattern. nice to know.

can anyone send me a link to where i can buy a lens that will fit my current 81 xs400 housing with hid bulb already installed and which ballast along with it?

Hey Brad,

the bulb is sealed in by the glass lens which is glued to the rest of the bulb using silicon. If you heat it up with a hot air gun (or lightly torch like i did) it should slowly peel off. then you just have to scrap off the old silicon.

if you guy the right headlight assembly (h4), and the correct HID projector lens (h4), then it all just fits together. Just be patient, i was too excited to get it done and couldn't figure out how it all fit together and used a drill bit shave parts down so it would fit. Once i had it all together i realized i did it wrong, and had to take it all apart again. just be gentle with the parts (china-made), and let them slide together.

once you have the bulb set the way you want, be sure to make sure the bulb is rotated correctly to high beam is upside down, and so the beam it make its level with the ground.

i used a lot of painting tape to mark points that had to line up.

couldn't be happier.

Back