Igintion problem

So I spliced in this wire just like how it was originaly on the bike,something realy stranged happened.My starter engaged for a second then quit.I had the key off when this happened.So I turned the key and hit the start button of course nothing happened.Also I searched all over trying to find this diode part # 28 in the diagram.For the life of me I cant find it anywhere.I`ll have to wait when it cools off to go back and look around.It feels like sauna in there right now.

On this pic I posted there are somethings I circled in red.One is a junction box with white wires where the wires are bare and coming out of the plug in and other is a circle that Im wondering what it is.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 241
Ok well the one side of the wire had a male connection like one that fits in white connectors and then it has a black wire wrapped around the connector then continues and bolts to the frame.It just doesn't seem right.One of the white connector plugs is missing the male connector.the wire with the male connector on it is wrapped with sometime nylon sheathing or something on it.I know sounds confusing right ?I`ll take a picture later this afternoon.
Oh also still trying to figure out why my head light isn't working anymore,I check the bulb all indication is it looks good and the filliments are there for both low and high beam.I have check every wire going into it and visbly I see nothing wrong.I checked all the fuses again and made sure that they are all making good contact.What am I missing is there a relay or something that could blow?I was working before when my problem first began now it quit.Im baffled.

ok heres some pics I took of things I had to rewire.
1st pic is the black wire that had a male connector on it with another black wire wrapped around it.Sorry the pic didn't come out well but the blury black wire is what I tried to describe earlier that has mesh type material wrapped around it instead of the traditional plastic.
the number 2 pic is the other half of the connector the black wire with the male end goes to.
I disconnected and put it back into the plug in connector where it goes.
The 3rd pc is the wire that was wrapped around the wire with the plug,there was a black wire coming out of another plug I assume should be grounded to the frame.
The last 2 pics are the white wire with the bare copper wire that was burnt in two that fixed.I still have put some shrink wrap around that so it doesn't ground out on anything.
I hope this clears up what I was describing in the paragraph above this one.I can try and get some better pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• 100_2859.jpg
    100_2859.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_2862.jpg
    100_2862.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_2863.jpg
    100_2863.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_2864.jpg
    100_2864.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_2865.jpg
    100_2865.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
First off the black wire you grounded to the battery box should go to the voltage regulator. It looks like that may have been pulled out or is broken in the covering to it. I am not sure about the hole bare copper wire thing. I would think that that wire should be connected by a normal wire. Looks like a lot of bad wiring on the bike you may want to look for another stock harness or make a new one.:wink2:

Attachments

• DSC02527.jpg
    DSC02527.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 203
When I did my re-wire job, I ordered connectors and got as close to what the wire diagram had for all the wires I knew I needed. Like the 3 Whites that you have circled, from the stator. I replaced the stator side connectors, and cleaned the opposite side. I called it 'Normalizing it'. so the next owner doesn't have to guess what I was trying to do. So I have the extra rolls of wire. I may never use. It didn't cost that much. Once I got going, and thinking, I only needed 3 or 4 colors.

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-78.html#products
Towards the bottom, are coupling sets, Get what you need, use a real crimper, see drewpy re-wire thread to see what I mean. Or do what Xchris said.

I bet a trip to menards, for the wire, silicone self-sealing tape, and Drewpy recommends a dab of solder on every connector, so if you don't have that, might have to get a new toy.

Right now its hard to tell, what is the copper wire attached to. It disappears, the white wire? is it really a stator line? going to the relay with the headlight operations?

Stop worrying about the headlight. I bet you it will work after you spend 2 hours splicing the lines. If your good, 30 min. If not, get a 12 pack!

The bare copper wire is his replacement for the missing diode. I don't think he now intends to leave it in, but get the proper diode. Arfstrom didn't you mention something about being close enough to go help. Could you two work out a time that would be good for both of you and meet up so he could have another set of eyes on the issues. Scorp....It does sound like the P.O. has done some cruddy rewiring and one event has set off a chain of problems. I know it has got to suck that the bike worked before storage and now it won't. I will help any that I can.

He is eleven hours away from me. Just googled it, Google even priced airfair, $1053, for 3 airlines.
Chain event, AC on the DC system? wow, Have to test everything to see if it survived. I spent all winter getting parts for my bike, because I know I abused mine, I have paid for it now. I had to get new coils, CDI/TCI. I drove my bike with a broken timing chain guide, which started out with badly done valve job. I pulled the sparkplug boot, hoping for the bad noise to go away, and now I have to replace everything important. I got everything, just not the time.

Today is my monday on my work cycle, I am almost done with the wifes car, Kia 03, timing belt/waterpump replacement. And 2 college classes, with one of which is 2weeks behind cause of the Kia. 776 miles, at 12 hours by car. Military time is screwing up my vacation time. I would love to, but its not going to happen this month.

Hi guys thanks for the replys and all the offers to help,It would be nice if there was a knowlegable member who lived close to me.
As for the bare wire it was like that from the factory but before it burnt intwo it was covered with clear plastic sheathing which is how I discovered the wire was burnt.I seen a burned piece of clear plastic when I was examing my wire harness.If it wasnt for the clear plastic I probaly would have never found it.I also soldered each end of the copper wire onto the metal connectors.I think the diode is in a different place on the harness I just havent found it yet.As for the head light it has something to do why my bike wont try and fireup anymore.Before i found all this faulty wiring I was jumping it from the solinoid and it would try to fire up.Now it wont do nothing.The light should turn on when the key is turned on and thats how it was before it quit working.If im up for it today Im going to unwrap some more of the harness and see if I can find some more bad wiring.
Also Im providing a link that has a diode on it,I would like to know is this the diode Im looking for?
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/24-6529.html

Last edited:
Xschris not sure if you remember but a while back I mentioned about a ground terminal coming out the white connector that didnt have any wire in it.I asked if its supposed to be ground wire thats connected to the frame.The advice I got was to ground the wire to the fram,thats why its ground to the battery box.Its a short wire and it wouldnt reach anywhere else.I can probaly remove the wire without having any affect on the wiring system since it wasnt there before when my bike was running.

Without good pics it is hard to tell what you are saying. Look at the pic of the voltage regulator I posted. Yours is missing the wire that goes directly to it. All you did was run a wire from the harness back to the battery box, which I see it already has.

Is there really a diode spliced in the harness???? the diode controls current flow and only works one way, isn't this referred to as rectifier on these bikes or will I find another diode somewhere in my harness too? after looking at your pics I see somewhat whats going on. that black wire you grounded to the battery box might be a blank if you have a 1 in one reg/rectifier. 2 sets of wires and clips come out of one unit. One wire is voltage reg and the other is rectifier. They share ground so this extra wire is not needed if you have an RR38 and it is mounted correct. I did the same thing and added the ground, which I realize was wrong because I had to modify the clip that came with a male end to be female. My wiring harness serial number matched all other serial numbers on my bike so I knew the harness was not the problem. I ended up with 3 different voltage regulators and only 1 had the proper female clip meant for my bike (haha the one that came with it not the 2 purchased later). Now I have to un mod the voltage reg/rectifier I changed to fit and reinstall the female clip to my original for testing. If It fails then I will give the other 2 a shot with the female clip mod.

Ive read old v reg control ground, new control positive current, and some old are adjustable mechanically. look at the pic of the voltage reg xschris posted that's the one you want. Also worth mentioning the blue(neutral) and yellow(oil pressure) wire should be on a clip meant for 4 wires... the other 2 would be black and green and they come from the field coil to harness... then on the other end of the harness would come out green, brown, and black on a 3 clip connector to your voltage regulator. brown wires should be to fuse and yellow to lights (if switched on) after power is allowed through working relay when bike is running. Rear brake lights are in there too, running lights are one scenario, and foot pedal lights which can get unclipped when working on the carb of moving the battery box around.

If that was my harness I would be pissed!

All I know is that black wire coming from the voltage reg was wired as a ground to the battery box when I got the bike.
It wasnt causing any issues with the light or the bike starting and running.As I was inspecting this ground wire from the battery box going down into the harness I find this black tape wrapping up what should be the ground going into either a relay or voltage regulator plug.
the piece of bare wire was wrapped into the main harness and I didnt find it till I started removing the sheathing that covers up the main part of the harness.As it is right now its pulled out so I could take the pic.Once rewrapped it will be tucked nicely back into the main harness like it was before.As soon as the water from all the rain we had drains going into my storage parkinglot I`ll get some better pics asap.Right now theres a lake infront of my unit.Im still unsure if theres a diode on my bikes harness or not.If theres supposed to be one I could rewire it into where the bare copper wire is if thats where its supposed to go.I have a copy of the diagram at my unit with my bike so I can study and compare the harness according to the diagram.
Timmy T yeah I didnt know till this problem occured how shotty the wiring is on my bikes harness.Since then I have found shabby wiring splicing and connections that I have been fixing.I can definately tell the po was into the wiring cause theres alot of places where its been rewrapped with black electrical tape.The more I unwrap the more bs I find in the wiring.

There is a diode in the harness. On my 80 it is located in part of the harness that goes under the tank towards the back of it.

Scorp I don't know if the diode you linked to will work. It is not the same part #. The one in my link is the right part #. I looked at other places to find one cheaper with shipping but they all end up about the same price unless you order enough to get free shipping. I am like 90% sure from your pics that that is the right place for the diode. I would guess that when whatever happened to your missing relay and your attempts to start the bike. That is when the diode fried (did it's job).

Is there really a diode spliced in the harness???
This what Im wondering,Also Im wondering if then copper wire is to do the same thing as the diode?
DMW on your link post for the diode theres realy not a good pic of what it looks like,It just looks like something wrapped up in shrink wrap.I`ll be in my untit farting around today and do some more looking for the diode but I don't think there is one.I`l also take some more pics.Last but not least I`ll be wearing the thermals again today with a high near 50* :yikes:

DMW is correct there is no diode on this bike,instead they used the smaller piece of copper wire.I spent the last hour unwrapping my harness looking and copper wire is right where XSchris said the diode should be.
Unwrapping the harness exposed a broken spot in the white wire that connects to the bare copper wire.Other than that there was bare spot shinning through on a red wire that's part of the harness.Im just going to put some solder on it and tape it up.Other than that now I get to rewrap the harness with some fresh black electrical tape.
I have taken all the relays out of their plastic boxes and inspected them looking anything burnt which I cant seem to find,I assuming they are good.
Is there a test I can run and check them?

Back