Igintion problem

Yeah ditto on that DMW
So far my parts list is the diode and the relays then hopefully she `ll fireup!
Also the flasher relay must not be good anyways because I always have to cancel them out manualy

If they flash the flasher is fine. If you have to shut them off the self canceler is bad. Removing your bad canceler won't change anything.
Leo

Well since it has nothing to do with my starting issues or why my signals only work on one side I`ll just slap it back on.I know I have 3 issues going on as of now.
Bike wont turn over which we all probaly no why and hopefully it is just a relay.
My head light doesnt work when I turn the key on which quit and has something to do with the bike running.

Can anyone tell me why theres a yellow wire from the head light that goes to the tach?
Also somebody earlier in this thread mentioned about my bike having a head light relay,Is there realy head light relay cause I sure cant find it.Ive been over every inch of the wiring on this bike.
Also is the restifier supposed to mount on the frontside of the battery box?I found to small bolt holes that are almost lined up with the mounting holes on the rectifier but because there bent it wont line up.I ended up mounting underneith the battery box.

Dear diary Im wondering where I can but a 4 prong wire
ing coupler like this one?Im wondering if places like autoclone,or disadavnce,or maybe ohsmileys might sell them?

Attachments

• wiring coupler.jpg
    wiring coupler.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Can anyone tell me why theres a yellow wire from the head light that goes to the tach?
Hi-beam on or off light tach Hi-beam indicator light. all depending if your brights on high or low.

Get the parts from MikesXS, you will be happier. could find anything locally. If your convinced you can find something, look at your local Electric wiring gurus. Graybar, or northern tool, or something like that.

Is there realy head light relay cause I sure cant find it.Ive been over every inch of the wiring on this bike.
on the 81 bike, there are 2 relays, side by side, about 4 inches apart, infront of the battery box. So behind the turn signal canceler, just under that spot.

Remember those pics I put up here. Print them out. The color code is close enough. It is important to remember the headlight relay has the White wire going to it. The second relay is the safety relay, which is looking for everything to open, or closed per the way, you are starting it. for instance, kickstarting, clutch not being closed. Neutral in neutral, and stuff like that, or if your turning it over as a electric start, that the kick stand is up, or something like that. You have DOHC so my diagrams are not going to be 100%. but close.

Okay, I found your safety relay, its is marked #1. Spot 2, is a place holder for a second relay. Based that the safety relay has a skyblue wire, and I can see a blue wire, with 2 reds. Since I didnt find your headlight relay, Follow the white wires. one of them should go to the relay, or start from the headlight, and work your way backwards. Yellow wire goes from Headlight, to the switch. fromthe switch turns to blue. so find the relay with the blue, and white wires.

The black thing inside the yellow circle is the tab that holds relays.

Attachments

• relay marks.jpg
    relay marks.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 243
arfstrom
Re: Igintion problem

Okay, I found your safety relay, its is marked #1. Spot 2, is a place holder for a second relay. Based that the safety relay has a skyblue wire, and I can see a blue wire, with 2 reds. Since I didnt find your headlight relay, Follow the white wires. one of them should go to the relay, or start from the headlight, and work your way backwards. Yellow wire goes from Headlight, to the switch. fromthe switch turns to blue. so find the relay with the blue, and white wires.
[/QUOTE
Yes the blank spot is for the safety that I have missing and supposedly whats keeping my bike from turning over.
The yellow wire that goes inside the tac is for the light inside there I presume.Incedewntly my tack light hasn't never worked since I had the bike.With that said maybe theres a connection to why my headlight isn't working either.If Im up for today I`ll trace the wires down inside the tach and see what I can find there.By the time I get done my bike will have been mostly rewired lol.

my tack light hasn't never worked since I had the bike.
probably bunted out light bulb. there is two there.

based on my experience on the relay, I had, your relay is probably good. Give it to be the last thing to fix. wait till your motor is running. I am more concerned that you can't find the headlight relay.

I found your safety relay, its is marked #1. Spot 2, is a place holder for a second relay. Based that the safety relay has a skyblue wire, and I can see a blue wire, with 2 reds.
I was trying to say, this is your safety relay. Safety relay has the blue wire.
Yes the blank spot is for the safety that I have missing and supposedly whats keeping my bike from turning over.
Those wires prabably goes to your neutral switch, and clutch switch?

Here is my relay issue.
http://www.xs400.com/media/albums/345/

Tach lights, by thumb on face, is the hibeam on light. the other pic shows the 2 spots for the 194 lights to go.

Attachments

• IMG_20140519_201201_082.jpg
    IMG_20140519_201201_082.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20140519_201124_235.jpg
    IMG_20140519_201124_235.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 212
ok appreciate the pics and info and I found your thread earlier today.I wasn't able to much today cause I tripped over a landscape timber while working on my garden bed and fell flat on back on hard gravel.I losing my balnce somehow causing me to trip over the darn thing.Anyways It hurt my back.Despite the injury I did some continuity testing on the wires going to the relay boxes and they both have power.Im not sure is the remaining relay is good or bad the one near the battery box says Omron on it.IM going to buy both just in case.As for the head light relay it doesn't show one on the diagram.
Also the flasher canceler isn't working either.Strange because before I took it off and removed it was.I was going check continuity on the plug to see if iut has power but I dropped my test light and broke the bulb:doh:
I also did a coneontinuety test on the headlight plug ,its dead no power.I hooked up the head light directly to a 12 volt source and it works so Ii know its not the light.
I just wish there was a way to bypass the the safety relays.According to another thread by a former members thread I wrote he says that you can.
Anyways $ is holding me up on parts and if theres anyway I can find the value of the diode I can probably get it RS localy and save a few bucks.
I also found one of your threads which might help me out.
Then one other thing I know its after the fact but Im convinced somebody got into my storage and removed the kickstand safety relay.

Dont waste your money

You will lose the restocking fee.

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87492&postcount=6
This relay map I made, shows which two colors to jump.

You don't have to listen to me, but read post #3 from "Fellow Traveler"
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10858

Charles tells you how to jump, which color. Go back and look at his first pic posted. that is the headlight relay we are looking for. the White wire. note this thread been hangin out here since 2011.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=66200&postcount=6

I think your turn signal canceler got shorted when the diode popped. I would remove it just so it is one less thing to worry about. It is not needed anyway. Yes if the relay you have is cruddy you could rebuild it, but I think it would be good to have a new or new to you one. Justin Case! Arfstorm his relay is totally gone, M.I.A. So he has to buy at least one. He has the "Safety relay" needs "Relay" as per the wire diagram! As for getting a new four wire connector. Yes I have seen stuff like that at the local auto supply. It may not be the same shape, but as long as it is four wire and "snaps" together it will work. I also say that now is NOT the time to mod to a HID headlight. I really think that the headlight issue is the missing relay. Yes your voltage reg. may be bad now after the attempt at jump start/ diode pop. Have you tested it with your meter? I understand that having your bike not working is a shit sandwich! However I think you may need to step back, take a break and a breath. Just until you get the diode and relays. I am sorry to hear that you hurt your back. I wish one of us was close enough to maybe help.

Last edited:
Whats weird was the turn signal canceler was working before I took it off to take the pic.I put it back on now it doesn't want to work:shrug:
Other than Im taking DMW advice today to step away and breath,my back is still hurting from the fall anyways.I just wish I could find someone local that has an 81 xs for comparison on the wiring and components.Thats about as good of a chance that hair will regrow on the top of my head.:laugh:
Also xschris you posted a pic of a wiring a harness with diode,was that in your possession or was that just a pic you found.I realy need the value of that little booger.
Also going to try and find the 4 prong couplers localy if I can,Mikexs shipping cost isn't worth paying when you buy just a couple of small items.Im sure I can find them menards..

Here is a good link on diodes. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/2.html The harness is mine that I hope to use in a future build. The diode is not a stock one and looks different that the one on my 80. These are the numbers I got with my meter. With the wires reversed there was no reading, witch is how a good diode works:)

Attachments

• DSC02546.jpg
    DSC02546.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02547.jpg
    DSC02547.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 211
Looks to be 471 ohms.I`ll call RS and see if they have something close.I`ll probably get the answer huh?

Mikexs has a diode on their site,while it looks different than the one you posted they say its compatible for the xs400.

Back