Leaking oil?

classexa

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a total newbie and recently bought a XS400. So I removed this cover and it's streaming out oil, I guess from the engine? Maybe this is normal?

21985329_937485133069467_2827054616481366016_n.jpg

The reason i removed it is the clutch didn't work so I was gonna check the cable, which worked. But I noticed it was leaking oil when I removed the screws on this one

Last edited:
You don't need to take off any covers that contain oil to check the clutch cable.
I can see in the very back of the photo that you already have the drive sprocket cover off.
That's the one that the clutch cable goes through and is adjusted at.

The actual clutch is on the other side of the motor. I'd start with the clutch adjustments at the handlebars and the adjustment screw in the drive sprocket cover before taking off the clutch cover.

The covers in the foreground are for the alternator and do allow oil out from the crankcase.

These are a wet clutch that uses the oil in the motor. So unless you drained the oil yes oil will come out and its normal.

Also clutch pack is on the other side of the motor also.

Ah thank you for the replies. The weird thing is, the clutch worked fine the last time I used it. So I was gonna start it up and drive after a long time of it standing still and now it didn't work. Maybe it has stood still too long? What could have happened without me doing anything?

I will check what you suggested

From the picture i can see the circular rubber cover that hides the grub screw * i stabbed my finger real good the 1st time i tried to pry mine up, its a rather deep piece of rubber* and locknut for clutch cable adjustments, this is where you would make the adjustment if engagement is poor. I would inspect the other side of the cover to verify the cable is still hooked in and before going much further i would remount the plate that appears to mostly be removed but most likely hung up on cable still being connected. Then fallow the manuals directions located here
http://www.xs400.com/threads/yamaha-xs400-manuals.4503/
Its in part 1 near the beginning
Simple things first, lubricate the cable and check both ends to see if the cable ends are intact. breaking free the nut described in the manual can be a little scary as it can be very tight and it will move as you loosen. Some of the adjustment screws the manual describes are located at the lever, otherwise known as barrel adjusters.

Something it could do while you weren't using it? Seize.

The engagement isn't poor, it just doesn't take at all. Can this be fixed by just adjusting the screw? When I try to push the bike forward when it's in gear with the clutch handle pressed in, it doesn't move. I checked the cable behind the cover and it's hooked in and moves when I press the handle

Before I take the right cover off, can I expect oil to be in there?

Last edited:
The clutch plates could be stuck together but like Rides520 described I'd go ahead and try the clutch adjustment at the handlebar and screw adjuster in the sprocket cover first.

There are some tricks to getting the clutch plates unstuck such as bracing the front wheel against a brick wall, put it in gear, clutch in, rev up a bit, and dump the clutch.
If that fails the plates can be manually separated by removal from the motor.
Last resort.
Lots of oil in there.

Kicking the engine over with the kick starter while pulling in the clutch lever will also help with stuck plates.

Thanks for the suggestions. The clutch adjustment didn't work.

Kicking the engine over with the kick starter while pulling in the clutch lever will also help with stuck plates.

What do you mean with "kicking the engine over with the kick starter"? Bear with me, I'm from Sweden so I may not get everything at first :p Should I pull in the clutch lever, in gear, while using the kickstarter, with the ignition off?

Edit: I tried this but didn't seem to work. But tshould the plates be bathing in oil? Because I drained it before I tried

Edit2: I've unscrewed everything I need to but the cover is stuck. I've tried a rubber mallet but nothing. Ugh. Where's the Hulk when I need him

Last edited:
Trans in neutral clutch pulled in and the kick it. But if your removing the cover on the right side don't kick it with it off. If you look on the sides of the cover there are places for you to put a flat head screw driver to help pry it off.

Trans in neutral clutch pulled in and the kick it. But if your removing the cover on the right side don't kick it with it off. If you look on the sides of the cover there are places for you to put a flat head screw driver to help pry it off.

I took the cover off and the plates are stuck together. Nothing happens when I press the clutch lever. The pressure plate moves out but the other plates are not moving one inch which they should. So I'm gonna remove them but should I clean them or something? Or just put them back on right away? What is the procedure here?

And how thick should the plates be? The clutch has always been bad so I'm thinking maybe I need new ones too? Or maybe they've been stuck all this time

Last edited:
The plates won't move out on their own when you pull the lever.
Pull the clutch in, tie the lever to the bars, see if you can wiggle the plates free. If you can, pour a bit of motor oil between them and call it good.
Might not have to take everything out.

If they're still stuck go ahead and take the plates out. Inspect for dirt or rust.
Maybe a light cleaning with something gentle like a toothbrush.
I dipped mine in motor oil before reassembly.

You can find the plate measurements in the manuals, which can be downloaded from the manuals thread at the top of the garage.

The plates won't move out on their own when you pull the lever.
Pull the clutch in, tie the lever to the bars, see if you can wiggle the plates free. If you can, pour a bit of motor oil between them and call it good.
Might not have to take everything out.

If they're still stuck go ahead and take the plates out. Inspect for dirt or rust.
Maybe a light cleaning with something gentle like a toothbrush.
I dipped mine in motor oil before reassembly.

You can find the plate measurements in the manuals, which can be downloaded from the manuals thread at the top of the garage.

Thanks. I'll take a look at this tomorrow :)

Oh also. Do I need a special tool for these screws? It looks like regular screwdriver screw but it doesn't work. The screwdriver just slips when i try. I've tried other things but they won't budge

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
They'll be JIS screws instead of phillips... but they are also hex head bolts. Use a socket wrench?

They'll be JIS screws instead of phillips... but they are also hex head bolts. Use a socket wrench?

I took the plates off, soaked them in motor oil, and put them back on. So they should be soaked in oil when I put them back on? Doesn't the oil stick the plates together? When I press the lever, sometimes the first plate/plates goes with the pressure plate when it moves out. Is that normal? Also, when the pressure plate moves out it should reduce the friction between the plates no? But nothing happens with the plates on mine because it seems like they're all stuck/glued together. Am i making any sense here?

This thread sounds exactly like my problem: http://www.xs400.com/threads/clutch-not-engaging.10191/

Here's a video of it:

Attachments

• 22158582_135575517185203_3986498170661109760_n.jpg
    22158582_135575517185203_3986498170661109760_n.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
It's a wet clutch, designed to be covered in oil all the time. It'd wear out real quick if run dry.
You make sense but the video looks normal. The plates never separate by much, it's just the variable friction/pressure that does the work as the whole thing spins.

Silly question but, your using moto oil designed for wet clutches right. Maybe the previous owner was using the wrong oil.

Ok, so it looks normal. Have no idea what the previous owner used but I think it was time for a change so maybe I just need new motor oil. I'm gonna put it back together and fill it up and see what happens

Last edited:
So I put everything back together and put in some new motor oil. It's 10x better than before. Everything is smooth. I pull into the garage after a ride, turn it off and press the clutch lever one last time. Then I hear something pop. The lever is now loose. Typical. Looks like the end behind the cover just popped out rather than the wire broke. Gonna investigate

Edit: Yeah I was right. The end behind the cover popped out from its place. Weird. Just put it back in place and readjusted it. Now it's fine

But it did die twice,once when it was idling and once when I drove it which has never happened before. Could it be the new oil? Do I need to adjust something with the carburetors? Or maybe it will go away by itself? I've also changed oil filter if that matters

Last edited:
Back