LED Brake Lights! (Pictures and Poll!)

Are LED's the best thing for these anemic charging systems!?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I live in the sunset in the city. I've met one other person with an XS, but I think he has sold it by now

Posted via Mobile

Scorpio, Its literally the easiest upgrade a person can do. The brake light that is. Turn signals require some extra work.
1156 the type of Turn Signal lights
1157 the type of Tail lights.

Didn't I mention NO SKILL!? The lights that I used are direct replacements for the stock bulbs. I didn't get deep int the explanation of the installation (as I often do here on the forum ;) ) but I thought it was self explanatory.

The easiest part? Justifying the purchase to yourself or significant other (brighter, safer, less draw, increases reliability of your bike)

Hardest part? Reading, understand, and following my instructions. Use your brain and skip these instructions for an easier install! :D

But for those who need an explanation, here are the steps
1) remove lens (two Phillips screws )
2) put on clean rubber gloves.
3) push bulbs in, then rotate to the left, pull bulbs out. Take note of where the "notches) on the bulb interface are. There is a "lower" one and "higher".
4) take new led bulb, configure with same position for low and high notches. Press bulb in, gently rotate to the right. (There should be no resistance in the rotating right. If there is, your notches are in the wrong spot, or your pressing too hard or not hard enough on the bulb spring).
5) turn on bike, make sure bulbs work, make sure brake light function works
6) put the lens back on
7) enjoy!

I voted against the conversion and here's why. The cost of $50 for the pair plus tax plus shipping is just too high to warrant this purchase. The increased output is just too marginal for the cash outlay. There is no proof a tangible increase in brightness is going to avoid a collision. You could mount a giant LED riddled stop sign on your rear and someone will still run into you. When you get hit from behind it's always the same story. Never mind your light, they didn't see anything.
As for the reduced power draw. I'm not buying that either. The XS400 has an old fashioned charging system. If you think about it, reducing the draw with LED lights means the regulator dumps more voltage to ground. Our charging stator doesn't run on demand, it runs on full alternating voltage all the time. All three phases of the stator produce voltage all the time and our old antiquated regulator is not smart enough to tell the stator to shut down phase 2 for a rest because we have LED lights now.
I understand your point for LED's assisting a worn charging system at idle, but a better use of $60 would be towards a modern digital shunt regulator rectifier that can put out 14.2v at idle.

Sorry, I misspoke, Our Yamaha's have a shunt regulator. A series regulator is preferred as it does not keep the stator at maximum output. Our friends over at GS Resources have an even bigger problem with crappy charging systems on their Suzuki's. They believe they have finally found the solution by switching to a Shindengen SH 775 Series type regulator/rectifier.

The last numbers I read regarding motorcycle accidents said 73% were bikes hit from behind. When I installed brighter (LED) rear bulbs I noticed drivers not following as close and stopping further away from me. When I converted my rear turn signals to also work as marker and brake lights, the distances increased further. For my conversion, the total cost was under $70 for 4 bulbs, 2 1157 style sockets for the turn signals, and a trailer light conversion module. I'll take ANY advantage I can get.

I'm not buying the idea that the old mechanical voltage regulators are a designed to operate the alternator at full output and dump excess voltage to ground. The voltage regulator adjusts the field current of the alternator to regulate the output of the alternator within the specified voltage range depending on load. If the load is reduced, the system voltage will increase and the regulator will reduce the field current to reduce the output.

Maybe you were thinking of a PMA type of charging system?

Brighter rear led tail lights don't help when somebody turns out infront of you!I have had drivers in minivans look right at me and make the turn cutting me off.I`ll spend my $60 elseware like applying some more to it and buying a wirefeed welder.:D

Mechanical voltage regulators? I don't think we're talking about them. Tombo doesn't have one and nor do you, or I. They were adjustable but were wildly inaccurate with adjustable points. I'm referring to the electronic regulators. I realize field coil voltage controls the stator, but as the regulators age , they loose their accuracy. Plus Yamaha and Suzuki as well, used bottom shelf regulators. By design they called for more output and controlled the voltage by dumping which is a poor, but cost effective design.

Where excess current goes is pretty much a moot point. Even with my charging system in optimal running condition (in spec), new regulator with same threshold as stock, but testing perfectly, and led tail light, my front headlight is still dim at idle versus 2000 rpm, vs 4000 rpm. To me, a layperson when it comes to electricity, that says to me that my headlight bulb wants more current than it is receiving at idle. Like most of the rest of us, my headlight bulb is no longer the 35w bulb that came with this bike, but instead, the 55w h4 bulb.

In other words, at idle, our bikes could use more power than is generated (unless you want to stick with the 35watts bulb, which I have no reference for). Once I'm up to speed for a highway ride, fine if the rest of the current goes to ground or battery charging.

I would also like to call bullshit on anyone who thinks a brighter light isn't better? Spacedog's argument presupposes that your gonna get hit from behind no matter what, bright or not. Spacedog's, I challenge you to find an independent survey that shows that a dimmer light is just as safe as a brighter light. I'm pretty sure you won't find it.

To me, it's a question of scale - and at the bottom of the scale, you may as well be invisible in the dark. At the top end of the scale, even some bloke too many pints deep will at least see a blur of red light amongst the rest of the twirling lights. I'll choose brighter - maybe not at any cost, but $50 is chump change compared to the medical bills or "final expenses" my family might have to deal with. Also, $50 is chump change when I've spent hundreds to get the bike running as nice as it is to be foiled by an inadequate charging system. Some say it's not inadequate - but I suppose there is something left in that argument, just not for me.

Cheers

Also, my bulb choice made the price $50 shipped (maybe a buck or two more), but there are cheaper options out there. Since I wanted brighter, I focused on that when making my purchase. I found other lights claiming to be as bright as the bulbs I chose or brighter, but they were from seemingly less reputable sources. I've got a buddy who works for a lighting company as a product designer/consultant. His company makes everything from tactical lights for military police use, to stage lights for big production rock shows - he told me the components used (smd) for these bulbs were the most advanced brightest and most durable, and it was under his direction that I decided to buy from super bright led's.

Riding a motorcycle in city traffic is dangerous no matter if you have leds or not.A person pulling out in front of with out looking,turning out infront of you or somebody running a red light isn't going to save your ass with leds. not of you have taken in account what I mentioned.And Im going to say if sdomebody is texting and driving otherwise distracted driving an led light isn't going to save your ass once again.Its just having a running light in the front it does absolutely no fricking good during the daytime.Will an led at night help possible but I don't ride at night much anyways.just my 2 cents

Yes, riding a motorcycle is dangerous, compared to other forms of transportation. I'm a better driver now that I've been riding. I have learned just how bad distracted driving can be. I also recognize other drivers that are distracted, from further away, and avoid them easier. I've had enough close calls since I've started riding that I'm well aware of how distracted other drivers can be. They are always taken into account, even when driving my car.

No, brighter lights won't guarantee safety. But they will help. Having brighter lights is more important during the daytime. Dim lights are harder to see when the sun is shining on them.

It's your choice when, where, and what you ride. But telling us that that brighter lights does absolutely no good is just wrong. Your gov't agencies have done enough studies that prove our point. I'll still take any advantage I can get, even if it is a small advantage.

Scorpion - I can respect your choice to invest in a wire feed welder, and for sure, as Dave has stated, riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous, just like most things that are worthwhile in life.

I ride a bicycle in the city regularly, more often than I ride a motorbike - and I would say the motorcycle is safer for a few reasons. Sights, sounds, and size are on the side of the motorcycle, nt only that, but a motorcycle's place in traffic is clear and defined. When I ride my bicycle, I have lights front and rear, I run a 80 lumen tail light, and a 500 lumen headlight. The headlight has a flash setting that flashes all 500 lumens. When I ride in high traffic areas during the day, I will run it in flash mode, which commands attention. If I'm splitting lanes (which I'll do if traffic is stopped or slow and the bike lane is blocked) I'll regularly have people move over for me the same way that people move over in traffic if I rev my motor on my 400.

Perhaps most people don't see motorcycles, but when I drive my car, I certainly try to, and often times because of my concern for other motor bike riders, I do see them. There are a few drivers like me, and I bet like many people on this forum (and motorcycles riders in general) whose experiences have on two wheels has adjusted how they drive their car.

The bottom line is, yes, we are invisible, and we should all ride like that - but best make yourself as visible as you can. When people ask me for advice on what bike light to buy, I tell them to buy the brightest they can afford. When it's your life it's worth it

Agree motorcyclist are invisible to most motorist,with an exception of a few.Me being brought up with bikers I was taught at a young age to respect and give plenty of room for motorcyclist.One thing as a motorcyclist can do to make theirselves more visible is wear one of those reflective vest which I plan on buying for this year.Im constantly on defense mode when I ride and most of my close calls have been within less than a 1/4 mile away from where I live.both instances have been a driver turning out infront of me.The last one a chased down took off my boot and slammed their windshield and told the driver off.Not so smart perhaps because people carry guns so I probably wont do that again.I bet though that driver will watch out for motorcyclist more often.As motorcyclist the clothing you were and the color of your bikes can make less or more visible depending on the color.One thing I found out red is not a very protective color.Long story on that one.
Another thing we can do is use more reflectors on our bikes for night time riding.
As for for the welder its something I need not just a want,Im constantly having to pay someone to weld things up for me.I have been lucky enough to have a friend taught me how to use one which is cool so I can go wrong buying one.

Last edited:
"red is not a protective color" - scorpio

prove it. That's all I can say about that.

I had a buddy who made made thousands of magnets in the shape of a yellow card from soccer. They said, "this is a warning. A cyclist that you may or may not have seen believes that you did something to put his or her life in danger. Please be more aware of cyclists in the future".

To me, that was the best rebuttal ever. I ran out of the cards in about 3 weeks, which I had maybe 20 of. Yelling out or getting violent makes you and the rest of us look like ass holes. Best to be a gentleman whenever possible, it generally results I the most favorable outcomes.

Posted via Mobile

I know red is not a protective color I mentioned that on my post:).Even a car painted red doesn't keep another driver from hitting you,ask me how I know lol

You may know but I'm not sure that counts as proof, nor does the fact that you got hit in a red car. hundreds of people get hit in a wide variety of colors every day. My last car made it till it was done (massive oil leak caused by warped valve cover) without collision, it was 20 years old, 240k miles and black in color. So what conclusion can be drawn from that? Nothing. Black car safer than red car? Silly.
:laugh:
In the same paragraph that you claim red is not a protective color, you claim that reflectors might make the bike safer. True, more places that mark the bike are beneficial, but reflectors will never over power the intensity of the light that even the stock bulbs create. Additional visibility is good, bottom line. If that's more lumens to whatever color light you want, the added intensity makes a difference. If you wanna dress like a road worker cause you feel better about riding that way, more power to you.:thumbsup:

It wasn't my #1 goal to be safer here, so I'm kinda perplexed why anyone us arguing that I'm just as safe or Less safe by my light upgrade. I could give a shit, to be honest. Re read my first post, I'm mostly happy with how the new lights have improved how my bike runs:shrug:

Keep fighting the good fight:banghead:. Cheers:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

The Xs400 uses a field excited alternator. This type of alternator controls the output by controlling the current in the field coil. When the regulator either mechanical or solid state senses a low voltage at the battery it sends current through the field coil. This creates a magnetic field that excites the stator to output electricity.
Once the battery voltage reaches full charge the reg turns of the current in the field coil stopping the charge.
This on/off cycle repeats hundreds of time per minute. It doesn't shunt any current to ground.
Now if it had a PMA or Permanent Magnet Alternator then yes the reg does shunt current to ground. On a PMA there is no way to control the strength of the magnetic field in the alternator.
As the load on the battery is what the reg senses then anything that lessens the load on the battery lessens the load on the alternator.
On a brake light or the turn light bulbs the element that lights up draws about 27 watts. Watts divided by volts is amps. 27 watts divided by 14.5 volts is 1.86 amps of current for each bulb.
Led bulbs draw around .45 watts or .03 amps. This is a net gain of about 1.83 amps per bulb.
That sounds like a significant improvement.
Leo

Back