Loose bearing balls steering stem

Thanks!

Sometimes i'm thinking it would be easier to start with new harness and learn as i go, at least them you can see the crap....everythings not covered in wrap.....

I think i'm going to go with the tapered stem bearings, currently for the loose bearings there is just a flange or half race on top and bottom of stem, i suppose i just knock these out to replace with tapered bearings?

Something doesnt look right on the top of the stem, i see where the loose bearings ride but what the heck covers them, just this flimpsy flange cover and then the nut over it.....?

Hopefully my attachemts show up here...

Thanks,
Stevo

Attachments

• Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 133
if you do tapered, they will stand proud at first and it may be hard to get a purchase on the lock nut on the stem.

I have read that about sometimes the lock nut doesnt get enough threads.... well i figured out the original races and knocked them out, so waiting on the tapered replacements....

Stevo

If you want to see all the stock parts and how they fit together, most of the prats sellers like boats.net have parts fiches where you can look up parts. These fiches show the parts, and how they fit together and a list of the parts factory names and factory parts numbers.
Leo

Keep your old grease seals if you upgrade to tapered; I had to combine the old seals with the new bearings to get it to fit right.

Will do, should get bearings in the mail tomorrow...nice to get the front end going!

Thanks,
Stevo

Along ways from grease and paint, 4 hours of wet sanding

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 138
I just changed mine out for tapered bearings too. I didnt use the bottom dust seal that came in the new set because it didnt seem to fit into the frame tubing at all (the lower stem). I just left the original dust seal that sits on the lower tripple and checked to see if it looked like dust could get in or not. Looked fine so I just ran with that and everything fitted and worked great.

Stevo yeah you need to tap out both the lower and top race. They are press fitted into the stem so you need to tap them out with a long rod (i used a socket extension). Just tap them at 12 o'clock then 6 then 3 then 9 etc, and work you way around tapping them bit by bit so they come out evenly. And when you put the tapered race's in theyre place just make sure they go in evenly, peice of piss really.

Hey Greasey Fingers - yeah i finally figured it out, was scared to start beating on the races at first, wasnt sure if they were races or part of the tree :)

Wish my dang bearings would show up so i can get the front end back together.

Stevo

Hey all - in regards to the replacement tapered bearings, I received them and cant wait to get the front end back together, been sanding triple trees for a week, okay stupid question, but the races go open end towards the steering stem opening, in other words top race goes opening up and bearings drop in, bottom race goes in open down and then the bearings would drop on the bottom triple tree stem and the tree with bearings on them is slip up to bottom of steering stem, so then the bearings are riding on the bottom race that is part of the bottom tree, correct? And maybe the bearings are riding on top of the sent dust seal, if my assumption is correct maybe better to use the factory dust seal, looks like it rides a bit lower where the bearings wont hit it...?

Am i correct? :)

Thanks,
Stevo

Yes thats correct, I just visualised it before fitting it all and theres only one way that it will work, and thats what you have described. And if you have trouble getting the lower triple to sit flush against the frame, just omit the lower dust seal from the set you bought and run what was already on there from the factory. I had to do that otherwise it just wasnt going to work.

Thanks Greasy - So got the bearings in, had to remove the dust seal as well, just wasnt enough threads otherwise. Learned a few things, okay take the wheel off first dummy, okay bolt up the forks, oh forgot the headlight mounting brackets, okay bolt up the forks, oh ya forgot the clip-on brackets, okay bolt of the forks.......:)

Hey Drewpy - i used a piece of pipe as well, damn thing fit perfect for seating the lower bearing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stevo

Hey - does anybody know where to find some chrome covers/endcaps for top of forks, the forks are up an inch from top tree and really mess that view up?

I was looking at my martini shaker cap, damn thing almost fit ;)

Thanks,
Stevo

Hey let me know if you find chrome end caps that fit, I will definatly run them if there out there! (btw I think stock set up the top of the forks should be flush with the triple like bc has it)

Back