New member, old XS400D!

Liamthedevastator

It's dingaling'n time
Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong section; I'm [obviously] new and don't know my way around, but wanted to say Hi and introduce myself, so here goes nothin!

I'm Liam. I live in Victoria BC and just started riding a few months ago after I bought my buddy's '09 Ninja two-fiddy. I've been riding that around with my friend who rides an 84 750VFR Interceptor and getting lots of seat time. I just turned 20 and have no idea what I want to do, but I'm dead keen to get on with my life.

I was poking around my local online classifieds for motorcycle projects (a daily past-time) and came across a fellow selling a '77 XS400D that was in pieces and needed rebuilding. Now, when I say pieces, I mean pieces.

xs400d.jpg

With the exception of the carb and bottom of the engine block the whole bike is disassembled and labelled in 4 rubbermaid totes, with the frame and other bits and bobs laying about. Essentially it's a puzzle that just needs some lovin'!

I'm big into streetfighters and never got to make my own, but I feel like I could take this project anywhere I want. The only thing I'm scared of is eliminating the XS magic from it.

Not sure what the plan is yet, but I'm thinking something like this, but with a streetfighter's flare.

buzzah.jpg

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed reading my :banghead: of text, and I am stoked to get used to the site and settle in!

Thanks for reading:bike::bike::bike:

welcome to the forum Liam, good intro :thumbsup:

I don't think a fighter's been done yet, so you may be the first.

download the manuals on here to give you an idea on what's involved. if you want specific pictures of how things go, post on the forum as I'm sure that we can help.

drewps

To be honest I haven't even thought about logistics yet, i'm pretty much just in the daydreaming phase. I am reading through the Haynes to figure out how to put the engine back together (which has already substantially improved my knowledge of motors!).

My biggest concern is keeping the aesthetic lines as close to original as possible while still building it out to be a cafe-fighter. Exhaust wrap is imminent, possibly inframe wiring too? :D

Thanks Travis! I feel better with this in the right place :p Well, it makes sense for me to transition this from an intro thread to a project thread too, so I'm going to start posting all of my planning and project updates here. First step, reno my furnace room so I can restore the engine! Pics will be posted when i find a suitable camera to document this whole thing :p

Important question: after sandblasting, what is the best way to protect the bare metal of the frame and engine?

G'day Liam & welcome to the forum. I just painted my frame using vht roll bar paint. It is supposed to be a tough enamel but only time will tell if it is any good. I chose to paint & not powder coat because of cost, diy factor and easy chip repair.

Here is an idea for your fighter, how about a belly tank to keep the COG low and give the bike an agressive stance.

Posted via Mobile

Right:doh: I figured it would be more complicated than that hehe

G'day Liam & welcome to the forum. Here is an idea for your fighter, how about a belly tank to keep the COG low and give the bike an agressive stance.

Thanks! Hmm, do you have any photos of this belly tank concept? So far I'm planning to keep the tank pretty much stock (maybe put some knee dents in there) and chop the rest of the bike, but I am down for any ideas at all! This is the first time I've ever customized, well, anything, so the task seems a bit daunting.

Another question: what do yo recommend to clean all the nooks and crannies of the crankcase? Oh yeah, and if I'm going to paint the whole block, should I strip it down to just the casing?

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm learning from my Haynes and you guys :D

Alrighty, after reading Sandrew and Pork Chops build threads i decided to get my project in gear. Here are some photos of what i'm working with!

Mr. Frame and gas tank are hanging out in my entrance way. I'm going to sandblast all that crud off of it eventually and chop the back. The seat is going to scrap... i've never seen such an obtuse sitting apparatus!!

Photoon12-04-13at1042PM.jpg

Crankcase is sitting on a stool. I don't plan on cracking it, but i do need to clean it. Anything work particularly well for this kind of muck? that darkness where the neutral indicator wire is should be silver i believe...

Photoon12-04-13at1040PM.jpg

And of course, the cylinder heads and such are all nice and neat in little boxes, all going to be painted after they're fixed up and clean. New valves will be seated in there too (free from the PO).

Photoon12-04-13at1041PM2.jpg

The plan so far is to drop the front a few inches and boost the back, then realign the tank so it sits flat, make a hightail cafe cowl, and go to town West Coast style

Hey man, welcome!
Wow that tank looks really clean!

So I was cleaning muck and oil off my engine block the other day and I tried lots of different products. I used break cleaner, foam cleaner, liquid wrench,WD-40, soap. I even tried DIY soda blasting. dont waste your time with any of those products

The absolute best way to to clean old oil and carbon off you motor (short of vapor blasting) was a product called 'Bio-green multi purpose degreaser'. I bought 2L of it from wallmart for $11 (a bargain for how well it works) then you spray it on. It was awesome to watch the oil and grease melt off. It even cleaned the tooth and kitchen brushes I had used with other product to try and scrub the engine clean. Great product its even bio degradable, the down side is its very basic so dont get the stuff on your skin eyes lungs because it will eat if off. I wore a face mast and eye protection, Its powerful stuff dont let the words biodegradable fool you..

I know your from Vic so the product is in the back of wallmart near the bike and on the power washers shelf upstairs :) There was 1 container left on the shelf as of yesterday.

12-504BIOc-155x307.jpg

Last edited:
I would be careful around plastic because it's parolium based too. But I'm sure it's ok if you wash the stuff off quickly, or better yet just test it on a small area first.

Thanks for the product Rob! That sounds wicked, I will be picking up my own gallon of that soon, even just to clear all the caked on crap before i split the case. I am definitely not fooled :p VOC stands for Volotile Organic Chemical... organic means nothing in the chemical world hehehe. were you using a full face respirator? I suspect its probably okay for piston heads too yeah?

@dO-bOy - always do a test spot, in a not so obvious place, with a not very vital part.

Project has been stalled because of a hectic few weeks/months of work, but things are starting to flatten out a bit. First summer project is getting rid of the chest freezer in our basement so I can get to work on the engine resto, which brought me to a question:

These engines are air-cooled, so what kind of paint are you guys using on the engine that still lets the heat wick out? That VHT paint seems counter productive if it keeps heat in... or am I missing something?

Cheers:)

p.s. Rob I picked up a spray bottle of that degreaser and have yet to use it, but i'm glad to have it on hand. thanks for the tip!

Back