New member, old XS400D!

Welcome Liam :) fairly new here as well and the group is a ton of help, great guys, great stories and great bikes!

Welcome Liam :) fairly new here as well and the group is a ton of help, great guys, great stories and great bikes!

Thanks mate :)

I'm trying to remove the alternator rotor and i'm floundering. i've bought 2 pullers and neither budge the rotor. my biggest question right now is how to remove this furgin' part!?:banghead:

What year is your bike? There are two different types of rotor/stator setups for xs400s. Pre 79 without brushes, post 79 with...

It's a 77, looks like this:

IMG_8767.jpg

Right now my setup is a puller with the centre rod on the small bolt that goes on the end of the rotor

This is what I use, impact gun and flywheel puller bolt. Have done this with six engines no issues. The same rotor is used in all sohc xs400's.

Last edited:
This is what I use, impact gun and flywheel puller bolt. Have done this with six engines no issues. The same rotor is used in all sohc xs400's.

I'm guessing the bolt threads to the rotors and puts pressure against the end of the output shaft? What size puller/thread would I need? And are you pre-treating it for extraction in any way?

Thanks for the tip mate, I'm excited to get this off. I'll start posting up some photos of the re-build as soon as I find a camera:D

Back at it here, after a bit of a stall. I don't have a camera yet so I'll try to post up some photos from my laptop of the progress! As of now I am no longer concerned with tearing the case apart. I stripped some bolts and i am no longer going to sandblast the case so I'm going to start the reverse process now!

The only thing i need to rebuild right now are the barrels. I need to re-hone but I can't get a good lead on some 0.25 up oversize pistons and rings. Clearance right now is pretty good but that won't last after a honing I don't think (jugs are smooth, usually how i like em but not in this case:confused: ). anyone know where i can pick some up?

My uncle got his welder up and running so i'm going to get to cutting up the rear-end for some cafe-style fabrication!

Photos to come, for now...

de-stressification

p.s. Chris, I got a puller so if I need it i'll have it! thanks for the help there :)

JULY 16, 2012

FIRST UPDATE WITH PHOTOS!

alrighty, finally I have some progress with photos to prove (though it isn't huge)! I went about chopping the butt of the frame with my friend Joff. We started by grinding off the rear shock mounts, then we went ahead and loaded her upside down into his bandsaw to make the cut.

Bandsaw.jpg

We wanted to make the cut as straight as possible and it ended up being really nice. I haven't got a photo here but i'll go pick up a digital camera or something so i can show the cut.

Now I'm on to some planning about the tail. Here are two photos of where the new tubing will go, but i would love some opinions on an angle.

Here it is straight:

straight.jpg

And here it is at a 30 degree angle:

angled.jpg

I like the idea of the angle because it will make the stance more aggressive without requiring me to spend a fortune on new shocks. Also thinking of reusing the old tail if we're going to angle it up. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for reading:D and in advance for any input :)

Heyo folks. I haven't posted any progress because I've just been doing little things to my bike for the last little while. Now That i'm almost done the tear down i have a question.

Plane bearings are not available to purchase from BikeBandit anymore, so is it okay to reuse them? Where could I buy those bearings? Ideally I want to replace all of them (why tear down this far and not right?) but am having a hard time sourcing parts.

Thanks a tonne guys, I'm really looking forward to starting the rebuild.

Any progress on the build?

Very little:laugh: I've learned a few important guidelines for motorcycle projects, the biggest of which is pretty general but really important... "If you don't have to, then don't!"

I do have a question though. I got the crankcase parts all pressure cleaned at my local sandblasting service and they looked great!... until the next day where everything seems to be covered in a chalky residue, cylinders and inside of the block included.

Is that Aluminum Oxide? Or perhaps just detergent from the cleaner? I'm hoping that some Simple Green purple (alum safe) will get it all off!!:doh:

20130903_114153.jpg

nows a good time to seal the aluminum. with out a sealant, it will be hard to take care of. What was that stuff the factory put on it, before it left the japan? any one remember?

Well my plan is to bead blast the exterior and PJ1 it so I suppose it isn't too much of an issue for the exterior. What I am concerned about is that this residue is on the inside of the block as well. It's my understanding that that is not a good thing!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the best course of action here is to do the bead-blast and paint, cure it, then tape up/protect the outside, then wash the block's insides again and then swish some motor oil around

p.s. Speaking of heat resistant clearcoat; anybody have a review they could offer up on the PJ1 clear? I hear that some clearcoats start turning yellow from UV exposure...

ah right. Yes, if I were you I would:
- clean/sand the exterior so it's ready for a clear coat
- clean up the insides as much as possible
- put the engine back together and tape off any holes (intake/exhaust etc)
- give the exterior a clear coat
- put some motor oil in so it's wet with oil to prevent anything from happening to it (corrosion, strange residue that sort of stuff)

Thanks Willem, I'll probably use that process when I eventually get back to painting the case! For now I think that I will just get the engine back together and paint later.

On that note, exciting progress (for me)!! I cleaned up the barrels and chipped some dirt out of the head, ended up with a really nice clean set of jugs :D

20130919_184218.jpg

20130919_184237.jpg

Also managed to finish up my repair on the post that's been giving me grief. Now I just need to tap out the hole for the new screws and start putting things back where they belong

20130919_184310.jpg

20130919_184320.jpg

Hoping to get that puppy tapped soon and then replace the hardware that got totally effed when I was removing gear-shift bits and bobs (if you run into issues with stripped bolts/screws feel free to PM me about how to rectify the damage; I pretty much had worse case scenario after worse case scenario so I feel experienced with the process now). I'm reusing my old plane bearings so it should be a fun little adventure! Worst thing that happens is the whole thing explodes and I shoehorn something else in there... all part of the fun I suppose:laugh:

Back