Other than your bike what other projects are you working on?

Body excellent the po did the gray hood and black stripes cause the clearcoat was peeling. I got a screw holding the grill corner. Guys son hit a deer and twisted the bumper.id still bee driving the 92 gmc if the wiring hadnt got so screwy. That 4.3 is gonna end up in my 85 s10 when i find a tranny for it

Well I don't work on cars everyday and bed was so rusted it was a danger to drive it.The rust on the under carriage of the bed and and all the cross beaem supports were rust to the point the bed was was sagging.So what would you have done take a chance and drive a truck that if a part falls off its going to cause an accident and possible enjure some or case an accident?It needed removed and I don't have any friends that would have done the work for me so I did what had to be done.I was hoping to get to this project before it got this bad but things kept getting in the way.

I would probably just put a wooden flat bed on it,
Actualy for the time being that's what Im going to do.Tryed to make a deal with guy that a box the other day he didn't want to do it.
I also should have went straight to the scrap yard with e bed the day I had everthing unbolted.Thats where its going.

I have 2 suv`s the red jimmy ,a dark green Yukon and half of a tuquois blur serria lol.The Yukon runs but has issues,the jimmy who knows when or if it will ever run.the truck is dependable but michigans winters took a toll on what was a pristine body over the last 4 years.

I hope the underlying frame is still solid. Whatever you put on top, if you can provide enough room for air to dry it and for a car wash to reach it, it should help it last.

You were talking about a wooden flat bed and, while I like the look, you then need to do a bit of fabricating for a stake truck or tie-downs in order to carry much stuff. And all that wood ain't cheap.

A guy around here had a box like yours and he wanted 2 more years out of it. So, he pop-rivetted some sheet metal into all the bad places then bought a gallon on Bondo and filled all the seams and gaps. Some power sanding was enough to make the inside ready for a can of rubberized bed liner and the outside ready for a couple of rattle cans of colour-match.
He replaced all the rusted out metal ribs underneath with some pieces cut from 5/4" x 6" cedar decking and bolted through to the frame. The wood lasted longer than the remaining steel but he got another 2 years and didn't pay a lot for materials.

My :twocents:

People round here sell these boxes for $400 on the low side which is rare to $500.Im pretty sure my wooden flat bed will be cheaper even treated lumber.Im going to try and use the back of the box for head board guess you call it.I got the cab corners but need to have them welded on still.
I also was at Tractor supply today they have metal in the shape of the cross supports I think they were 10ft lengths for $32 each
Oh and yes the frame is salvageable and I walked around the truck today with a hammer knocking off the scale rust.

I have 2 suv`s the red jimmy ,a dark green Yukon and half of a tuquois blur serria lol.The Yukon runs but has issues,the jimmy who knows when or if it will ever run.the truck is dependable but michigans winters took a toll on what was a pristine body over the last 4 years.

What happened to the chevy blazer?

The old th types the drag racers gobble up if i find one ill have to rebuild it. To convert my 460 i have to change the main shaft. I really wanted another 2.5 but a rear wheel drive one is like hens teeth down hear in va. The one in the truck the po destroyed it beyond repair it was bored .60 over and the cyl walls were destroyed

Man I always wanted 366 chevy engine they are so easy to find but my time working on hotrods is done.Just taking the bed off my truck killed my body,I blew out both knees in the process.

Work on the truck box being made from wood has resumed except the head board which I cut off the box today and bolted back down on the frame.Im the process of rust remove I discovered the gas fill neck tube is completely shot.I should have left the rust on there cause I discovered several holes in it today.Thats a $100 part for dam 1ft long curved metal tube that's a foot long.I think I have trick that can fix it cheaper.

MNW that's what I did fixed that problem.Made a lot of progress this last week or so hobbling along on injured foot.I got the frame all cleaned up and broke loose all the scale rust.Coated it with frame sealer that's rock hard and started installing cross members.I have a direction that Im going with on the box.Its going to look like the pic attached minus the back end which will be straight across.I also spent part of the day water proofing the lumber by brushing on several coats of linseed oil.

Attachments

• truck box wood.jpg
    truck box wood.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 269
Back