Petew XS400 brat scrambler build

I oredered it from eBay. I originally planned on chopping down the factory seat, did it and hated it. Started scrounging materials to build my own and came across this for under 40 bucks. I will be making the seat for the next one but this was a very cheap way to go. I had to trim back seat tabs and drill a couple of new holes in some tabs but altogether it went on pretty easily.

I think I got the same one also. I liked it but decided on another one.

My brother has the same seat on his Suzuki 250, it is passable and a place to start. As he, and others on this forum, has said "it's never done..there is alwys something else you want to try

Today was more of the same, I hung the exhaust to ensure the bolts weren't damaged in engine install-they are fine! I also decided I needed a rear fende, so I used a cut off scrap from the front fender and mounted it to the seat base. It completes the "bobbed out" and doesn't leave me feeling it was unfinished. I have end caps for the pipes and a tail light on the way....someday.

Attachments

• xs200.jpg
    xs200.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 331
  • xs201.jpg
    xs201.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
So is the plan still to use the factory air box and battery tray?

I like the small rear fender look that's kind of my plane also when I get to that part.

So is the plan still to use the factory air box and battery tray?

I like the small rear fender look that's kind of my plane also when I get to that part.
No, I abandoned that.I have relocated the electronics. The CDI control is under the seat. The rectifier and the regulator occupy a spot on the plastic inner fender I retained, after I cut it down, to keep junk off of them.I am searching for a local supplier for a new fuse block. The battery will be housed in a box that rides on the swing arm. I wanted the clean, open look. When I realized that the previous owner sold it to me it had no air filter in the boxes. I assume then that it will be fairly similar to running pods. It ran super before, I am hoping there wont be too much fiddling with the carbs to get it to run the same when I am done. I am pretty happy with the "look" now. Just think, it all started to retrieve a chunk of e-starter journal.I intend to make my own exhaust for this, I covet a 2-1 look and it can be done so much cheaper than buying one already made. I have access to a welder and a friend who has offered to oversee. That will be down the road a bit though.

No, I abandoned that.I have relocated the electronics. The CDI control is under the seat. The rectifier and the regulator occupy a spot on the plastic inner fender I retained, after I cut it down, to keep junk off of them.I am searching for a local supplier for a new fuse block. The battery will be housed in a box that rides on the swing arm. I wanted the clean, open look. When I realized that the previous owner sold it to me it had no air filter in the boxes. I assume then that it will be fairly similar to running pods. It ran super before, I am hoping there wont be too much fiddling with the carbs to get it to run the same when I am done. I am pretty happy with the "look" now. Just think, it all started to retrieve a chunk of e-starter journal.I intend to make my own exhaust for this, I covet a 2-1 look and it can be done so much cheaper than buying one already made. I have access to a welder and a friend who has offered to oversee. That will be down the road a bit though.

What size battery are you going to run? Is this going to be kick start only? Oh the exhaust.......I am not sure what way to go there so many options.

It will have the standard battery, I cannot afford an AG of the same cranking amps. I need that as this will be e-start only. The kicker journal is broken so I removed all of it and sealed the whole with a freeze plug

So today I continued clearing out the area for wiring. The battery box is still unmade but until I get a sealed"mount anyplace"type of battery this location will be it. I also decided it was beautiful day in Upstate NY to paint so...

Attachments

• xs2005.jpg
    xs2005.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 324
  • xs2002.jpg
    xs2002.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 303
  • xs2004.jpg
    xs2004.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 299
  • xs2003.jpg
    xs2003.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 303
I like the orange !
Thanks, it will have a black pin on it too...spur of the moment. In the engine compartment picture you can also see the freeze plug filling up the kick start hole (Thanks XSChris) it looks like it belongs there!

Another day of wishing I was better equipped, but making due. I decided to make a battery ray out of some diamond plate aluminum I purchased. I made a paper scale model and then transferred everything over to the aluminum. I used a straight edge of a level and a 2x4 to get my bends close and then squared them with a chisel end. Not having a welder I ended up riveting them together and I fastened it to the swing arm after checking it for travel clearance. It looks a little rough when empty but for now will suffice, it looks okay when in use..Today will be a day of running and hiding wires with the hope of maybe firing this up by the weekend. Still waiting on a tail light assy and an accessory mount for my ignition switch but I can overcome those obstacles. The end is looming....

Attachments

• xs300.jpg
    xs300.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 263
  • xs301.jpg
    xs301.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 298
I spent the day buttoning things up and plumbing wiring. I had things to where I felt we could be firing the bike up but then I noticed that the shifter doesn't seem to "kick down". I never split the case , nor did anything with the shifter and it worked perfectly before. I guess it's time to take off the side cover and make sure I have things right. Maybe Monday will be the day!

I spent the day buttoning things up and plumbing wiring. I had things to where I felt we could be firing the bike up but then I noticed that the shifter doesn't seem to "kick down". I never split the case , nor did anything with the shifter and it worked perfectly before. I guess it's time to take off the side cover and make sure I have things right. Maybe Monday will be the day!
Is there a chain on it?... if so just playing with the clutch and rolling it back and forth a little should unjam it...
If not,start it up holding the clutch in, rev a little and then try the shifter...

Is there a chain on it?... if so just playing with the clutch and rolling it back and forth a little should unjam it...
If not,start it up holding the clutch in, rev a little and then try the shifter...
Thanks for the advice, once we get it started I will give it a try!

Today was spent chasing wiring and installing the rear light assembly. I still don't seem to have the problem figured out as I have no power from the ignition switch, I suspect I have missed a connection. While I took a break from that I decided to address the front brake adjustment, I have to much slack in the cable. I looked at the external linkage and figured that if I were able to move them forward a few degrees it would make the adjustment better. I took the arms off the splined shafts and they came off very easily. Then the trouble began...I was unable to get them to go back on....I might need to pull the wheel tomorrow. I am quite pleased by the way it looks, once we get running I'll polish it up.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 286
  • c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 315
Still having the issue with the shifter not shifting down. Bike is not running quite yet to move it. I do notice what seems to be in and out play for shift shaft. Again, the cases were never split on this and it shifted beautifully before I pulled it to remove the broken pieces. Any input would be helpful. I have gotten so close to completing this build and there are just a couple things that I can't seem to get past, I have checked resources and now I could use some suggestions from more experienced folks. Should there be any end play in this shaft? I will pull the cover back off and ensure that the C Clip is there if I can. I don't know how I could've lost it......

Last edited:
Fidgetting with the shifter can be tricky...
The easiest is with a chain on and running the motor...
Even then sometimes i have to rock mine back and forth to engage first gear or neutral

I had the same worry with both my bikes before getting them running.
Went away once the bikes were running. Still a bit sticky sometimes but nowhere near as much as when I first got them.

Today was the day to get the bike started. A nice full charge on the battery and I hit the starter and she cranked like a mother, nice and quick and even sounding. No fire though. I fiddled with the carb linkage, checked my plugs and coil connections and cranked it over again and it still wouldn't start. I continued trying and "BOOM" a burst of flame and poof of smoke...the plug I sealed in the kickstart journal blew out too. I guess I have spark for sure! Time to remove the carbs again and go through them once more.I probably didn't do a thorough enough job...we'll see. Going to reference this video as I do:
Wish me luck, maybe we'll have it running by days end!

Back