Volt Reg r292 swap question

400x

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read drewpy's write up and drewcifer's write up on this subject. They were both very helpful with understanding the whole charging system setup and troubleshooting.

My question at this point (I have the r292 to put in my 77xs400) is why are there four wires on the new unit and three on the old? It looks like the yellow and orange get connected together and to the brown wire on the other end?

Also, I have a soldering iron but literally the only thing i have ever soldered is three contacts on a through-hole junction box, so I'm not too experienced in that matter.

Any advice on what method to use for attaching the new unit would be appreciated. It sounds like some people have used the old connector and some have just soldered the wires together?

Technically the original is a 4 wire, the ground is just run through the mounting bolt. On your new one, the ground is on a separate wire.

Hmmm yup I was looking at the 80's wiring diagram. I am still confused about where the wires go though I guess.

full

^that photo seems to show the orange and yellow attached to the same wire on the other end.

If i'm not seeing things there then Green goes to green, Black goes to Black and orange AND yellow go to brown? If this is true then doesnt that mean a ground wire is wired on to a live circuit here somewhere? *Confusion*

I'll try and stare at my black and white wiring diagram soon and see if I can figure anything out. I need to print it out I think...

The picture is correct, just do as it says :) Ignore my first post as i was not paying attention and refering to 3/4 wire rectifiers, not regulators.

Back