Hello people...

Swapmeet Louie

El' Macho Borracho
Reaction score
El' Pescado Loco w/ 21" drum out front

Hey there,
I was Google'ing some info on xs400's. And stumbled on this board. Snagged a couple wiring diagrams from a few of you, haha... Anyway, I've been been building a couple bikes a yr for quite some time now. I was a former mechanic for a local EasyRiders shop here in Boise, Id. Originally from H.B. Cal.. And figured I'd do a Quick into.
I'm 36 yrs Old. This is my 1st XS. I am how ever not brand partial. I dig all bikes. And have found that as long as it's air cooled, carb'd and chain driven, they all have potential with a little imagination.
I am fairly deep into the build and am pretty happy of the out come so far. I dont really like to get into branding my bikes as far as chop, bob, etc. It is what it is I suppose. If anything it would probably lean towards Brat I would guess.
I have modified the Back Bone, rebuilt and installed a set of Marzocchi rear shocks, made some bars, minor mods to exhaust and filters, Fitted an ol' Honda tank. Which I had to cut the bottom and tunnel out of due to rust. Will be brazing in a new tunnel here shortly. Switched up the rear hoop a little. Stole a pedal off my wifes 63' Western Flyer bicycle for my kicker (she never rides the thing, so it should be a good yr or two before I get caught, haha). Made a brat style seat. Fit a 63' Tirumph rear fender and rear wheel. The clutch lever and kill switch are also vintage triumph. Sparto tail light, an old Bates (I believe...?) head light, xs650 Alloy front wheel. And a few other things I'm sure I'm leaving out...?
Anyway, I'll let the picks do the rest of the explaining. Thanks for having me aboard. In the few minutes I looked around here I saw some neat stuff going on. If ya have any questions feel free to ask.

Oh, and there was some grease on my camera lens so there are some blurry spots in some off the pics, So I apologize for that.

IMG_20110110_142931.jpg

IMG_20110110_142623.jpg

IMG_20110110_142451.jpg

IMG_20110110_142831.jpg

IMG_20110110_143048.jpg

IMG_20110110_142658.jpg

IMG_20110110_142753.jpg

IMG_20110110_142726.jpg

IMG_20110112_140417.jpg

Thanks again. I will do my best to keep the thread updated from here.

Last edited:
Looks really neat!

Love the pedal, been thinking of doing something similiar myself. How did you mount it?

Is it just me or does it look like a brake pedal on the left side? Or is it the clutch and in that case are you going for a jockey shift? :) Couldn't figure it out.

Good luck!

Hey thanks for the welcome fella's...

Ya the Brake is on the left side. Because of the early brit rear wheel. All foot controls are going to be on the left side. I going to go with a heel/toe style shifter.

The frame is Paint. House of colour. Cant remember the name of the color though...? this is 2 base coats. The bike will get one more dis-assembly before it's done, @ which it will get a few more coats then a few of clear. I cant afford powder, haha. anf I have tons of paint selection built up over the yrs. Every part on the bike was also already on hand. Either from take-offs from other projects or stuff I had bought in the past but diddnt end up running. I think I have $26 bucks invested in it so far? Thats what I love about this hobby... Anybody can do it for a really reasonable price. It just takes a little thought.

I have a springer on the way that a friend over @ DTT is giving me. It's off a long bike. I plan on shortening the shit out of it and running it on the 400.

Oh I never mentioned in my intro that the bike has a name... It's El' Pescado Loco. Dont ask, haha mY pals and I sit around, get a little shitty, and give everything a name...?> I know it's fucking dumb. But what do ya do...

Here are some earlier pics.
What it was when I got it
imagejpeg_2.jpg

this was it 4 hrs later, haha
IMG_20101210_205425.jpg

here a pic of the new back bone when it was just tacked up
IMG_20110101_150734.jpg

My humble work 2 car garage/ work space
IMG_20110108_131357.jpg

And every work space needs a someplace to think, or a better word for it might be Bar
IMG_20110107_162627.jpg

Louie, both the bikes and the garage look killer mate :thumbsup: Welcome to the forum and keep the picture coming.

Quite impressive work and a refreshing different style. You got it right "air cooled, carbureted and chain dirve" That's all I need as well. Only criticism is the seat good use a bit more padding, but I don't have to ride it so I'll shut up.

Drewpy must be old...he can recognize those old parts like it was yesterday...good eyes!!LOL
I like the look of the ol' honda tank...and the rubber looks cool too!

Just read your entire build thread on DTT..... Think you changed the tank and bars enough times? hahaha Just kiddin man! Sweet work!

Haha.. Ya for sure. I think I went through 6 or 7 Tanks and probably 10 sets of bars before I decided to just make some.

Anyway, thanks for all the compliments fella's. Sorry I haven't been around much. Just been busy I suppose? I did get the bike wired. And fit a early 80's XL350 21" front wheel. I'm digg'n it. Gives it sort of a speedster/roadster look, or something, haha.

Here it is with the new wheel. I haven't stripped, cleaned or polished it yet. Just barely got it to fit so far. Anyway, hope ya like it!

IMG_20110120_134750.jpg

IMG_20110120_134705.jpg

Hope to have the tunnel back in the tank sooooooon...

Wow... Haven't logged on here in a while! So the 400 has gone through a couple minor changes. More Cafe I guess. Im in the middle of making some rear sets now. nothing to fancy though.

Here is how it sits now.
IMG_20110326_184832.jpg

IMG_20110326_185019.jpg

IMG_20110326_184924.jpg

IMG_20110326_174812.jpg

IMG_20110326_204345.jpg

i cant believe i missed this when you first posted. that bike is killer! im not that into the whole "brat" thing, but this is making me like them more. i love the handle bars. how did you mount them to the trees? im thinking about making a pair myself if i cant find some for cheap. and your back to the stock rims i see. lookin sharp. cant wait to see it all spit-n-polished

Back