rewire how to

I know this thread is old but question how do you remove the harness from the bike with out cutting anything.Also did you use your own color scheme for the wiring or did you rewire according the colors of the original harness?

If you get the factory manual, the routing of the harness is shown.

All wires should follow colour coding for future diagnostics. It's expensive to do but worth it

its the end "user" that determines the cable needed. running 35amp lamps for instance, you need to get the right cable, then back track to switches to ensure they can take the current so they don't burn out.

hope that makes sense

Yes it makes. Thanks!

Could you tell me, will i have to install additional module for LED turn signals?

And another question:
Will i be able to install electronic tachometer module if i have Contact Braker and not TCI module?

Cheers!

Hi to all and a big thankyou to the author of this wiring harness guide - it is excellent!! I do have a problem however with the alternator wiring in particular due to all of the wires being the same colour - white. There are 3 wires going from the alternator to the rectifier and they are all white. How can I tell which one goes where?? I can manage to figure out quite a bit using the wiring diagram for the XS400 4G5/6 but this defeats me. Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

Best wishes

Yes it makes. Thanks!

Could you tell me, will i have to install additional module for LED turn signals?

for LEDs i believe you could get away with an LED compatible relay. im planning on doing LED turns, brake, and running lights on my bike. thinking of using an LED flasher relay from SuperbrightLEDs.com. they are around $13 before shipping i think, so not too expensive. i know generic ones from 0'rielly and other autoparts stores are closer to the $30 mark.

also wont be using auto cancelling on the bike, so im not sure if that would be effected by LEDs. i wouldn't assume so.

its the end "user" that determines the cable needed. running 35amp lamps for instance, you need to get the right cable, then back track to switches to ensure they can take the current so they don't burn out.

hope that makes sense

To ask a dumb question, how would one find out the amperage needed if I were to run all stock parts? My bike, I think, is all stock and I just need to know what gauge wiring is needed to make a new wiring harness.. I may skimp on the colors simply because of money.. But I would like to at least make sure it doesn't short out on me. :p

To ask a dumb question, how would one find out the amperage needed if I were to run all stock parts? My bike, I think, is all stock and I just need to know what gauge wiring is needed to make a new wiring harness.. I may skimp on the colors simply because of money.. But I would like to at least make sure it doesn't short out on me. :p

easy, just go to the first page of this thread and read them off the chart.

easy, just go to the first page of this thread and read them off the chart.

Oh, so your chart is based on stock or uses the same amps as a stock? Didn't realize that, sorry! :banghead: :D Thanks a lot. By the way, great guide.

Now all I have to do is figure out the equivalent in AWG :p

Last edited:
Hey Guys (Drewpy),
Quick question for you. There was a catastrophic meltdown on much of the wiring in my '79 XS400F sometime before I bought it. The previous owner decided that just rewrapping all the burnt wires was the answer! NOPE! So, I'm currently do a rewire. I'm just a little stumped about the wires coming from the field coil and stator. I notice that most of them are different than the standard wires on the bike. They have a cloth covering on them? I'm just wondering what type of wire that I need to use when I replay these wires. 18 or 16 gauge? I read on the chart on the first page that Drewpy used 1.5mm thinwall for the stator and 1.5mm tinned thinwall for the field coil. I'm not sure if we have those wires in Canada? Or where do I go to get them? The black outer casing on the bunch of wires from the field coil and from the stator were melted pretty bad :(

I'm assuming that the voltage regulator failed (which is did) and the system was overcharged. That in combination with all wrong 20 amp fuses in place with hap-hazard repairs using a lot of electricians tape caused all of this. Lots of hot spots and short circuits!

Any advice/help from anyone would be much appreciated!! thx-B

Attachments

• IMG_9936.JPG
    IMG_9936.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 510
I am looking for new wire for the stator and this area and was looking for wire that was similar to the existing wiring. Specifically the high temp insulated braided wire. Does anyone have a source for this specific type of wiring, preferably where you can buy wiring by the foot, here in the states? I am sure I am being pedantic but I can't help my perfectionist nature. Also looking for the what size tubing should use to sheath the three white wires that come off the stator and the size for the tubing for the blue and green wires that come off of the field coil. Also what size spade terminals are on here? Are they the 6.3mm terminals?

Back