What did you do with your XS today?

I went and started it.I pulled chocke out to full cause its cold hit the key half a revolution of the engine varoom.I struggled so much with this bike in cold weather last year its like a totaly different machine.

Its 2 in the morning and i just got outta the garage.mounted the back tire got the chain on put on the clutch cable and tightened everything Down. Just need to mount the front tire and take her for the first ride after the rebuild.:D

Posted via Mobile

FINALLY... First ride of the season. A little cold but the bike started and ran great. New master cyl and pads seem to be working ok. I do feel Im using more lever pressure to get the same braking force. I pretty sure I got the right bore size on the new m/c (13mm). Maybe the pads just need to wear in a bit? All in all a good day.

I finally got the stripped philips tachometer screw out that was on top on the engine block. It was a M5 - 25mm screw. I replaced the screw with a stainless steel hex socket screw of the same length so it hopefully won't strip next time I need to remove the tachometer cable.

It's nice to have the tachometer working, I was always afraid about redlining my bike.

PhotoGrid_1366604715445_zps07b5da43.png

Posted via Mobile

I finally got the stripped philips tachometer screw out that was on top on the engine block. It was a M5 - 25mm screw. I replaced the screw with a stainless steel hex socket screw of the same length so it hopefully won't strip next time I need to remove the tachometer cable.

It's nice to have the tachometer working, I was always afraid about redlining my bike.

Is that all that holds the tach in? Mine is missing whatever was originally there so my cable just hangs, doing nothing. I can push the cable in and then the tach works but only until the cable falls out again.

Is that all that holds the tach in? Mine is missing whatever was originally there so my cable just hangs, doing nothing. I can push the cable in and then the tach works but only until the cable falls out again.

Yep, it's just a screw that holds it in! Most speedo cables are held in the same way, even on very modern motorcycles.

I took and wire wheeled my lower forks.Being very pitted and rough I smoothed out and gace them a polished sandblasted look.If I get ambitious enough I may try and sand them very smooth but I like how they look now.Sorry for the lack of pics.My charging cord broke for my cam.Also went for a couple of short rides.

pulled the pipes,little more touch up on the engine. found some red lense rear turns signals in my parts stash and some black rect mirrors. now its time for hockey game

Attachments

• xs400 001.JPG
    xs400 001.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 248
Removed the front wheel seals and bearings. Replaced them with the proper size for a 17mm front axle. Realized I forgot to buy the wheel spacer for the new axle. Next is to rebuild the SR500 forks I'm using for my dual disc conversion. Also ordered a bunch of parts and stuff from MikesXS.

I've been studying for the MCAT and PCAT all day and ended up riding with a buddy for a couple hours to relieve some stress. I can't wait until summer weather gets here in the PNW.

Had the 79 out for the first time this season and it still runs like a top:thumbsup:

Back