What did you do with your XS today?

Been looking for a cheap box to mount my electricals in. Finally bought a double gang outdoor electrical box and made a bracket for it. I'll have 1 on each side, 1 for light switches, the other for key ignition and mini fuse block. Finally bought a chain and mounted it, have to make bushings to center the wheel correctly, but found that a Nighthawk axle fit perfect since I widened the rear frame. And build a low buck lift to lift the rear of the bike so it's sitting level left to right for future work. Next is the exhaust. Theres a cool article in Backstreet Choppers about doing a lobster tail type exhaust, gonna give it a try, seems cheaper and easier then buying pre-bent tubing since I have forward controls and want to run the exhaust under the frame and have it come out on each side.

Attachments

• 80 Yamaha Electrical Box 3.jpg
    80 Yamaha Electrical Box 3.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 253
  • 80 Yamaha Nighthawk Axle.jpg
    80 Yamaha Nighthawk Axle.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 294
  • Bike Stand.jpg
    Bike Stand.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 254
Nice looking home made lift!

I'm on my way out the door to pickup some garage lighting upgrades! There will be how to videos once this happens :)

Ebay has the best selection and cheapest prices on exhausts that I have seen. I think I got my black 2-1 mac exhaust for about $180.

went on a ride today, and the car in front slammed his anchors on, just, and I mean just, stopped in time.

All I could see was this little face of a passenger staring at me while I was Mouthing FFS as the back end was chirping away and approaching the car.

Dented my gas tank after throwing wire cutters at it.

My mother ran over my light fixtures while I was changing them out.

The lights are done and fixed.

I'll fix the dent later. What a day :(

went on a ride today, and the car in front slammed his anchors on, just, and I mean just, stopped in time.

All I could see was this little face of a passenger staring at me while I was Mouthing FFS as the back end was chirping away and approaching the car.

Glad your ok:yikes: Did you lay on the horn and let them know what asses they where:mad:

Finally was able to get into the garage/shed on the weekend (i was snowed shut lol) Made it in to see a nice puddle of oil under my bike from that crankcase leak i wasn't able to fix last fall :/

I tried to start her again, but as per usually it didn't, either its to cold or the carbs are plugged... It sounds like it was SO close to starting up but just wouldn't (it was only barely above freezing if at all). I plan on removing the carbs for a cleaning tonight or tomorrow since the 'warmer' weather is coming.

Also going to resume trying to get the headlight and gauge lights to work :( I bought a new rectifier during the winter and will install soon as a last effort before taking it to the shop and spending the big bucks lol

I have replaced the regulator, the relay (the one by the headtube for the gauge lights), the battery, all the light bulbs, and now the rectifier..If this doesn't get it to work then it has to be a stator issue (which seems to be working fine... It passed all the tests in the manual and the 'magnetic feeler gauge test')

I hear ya Chris the same for up here in the great lakes region maybe another 3-5 or 1-3 on the snow and dam cold as shitty weather.I wish I ccould report that I actualy have done something on bike but I have to wait for the weather to break.Someday it will I just know it.:laugh:

Nice weather here today. Started spraying the tank and air filter covers.

Also started cleaning up a set of wheels........my god that is going to take forever. :(

Found out the axle on my VTR has a damaged thread and I don't have a tap for it. 45 quid :eek: for a new axle so I will probably hunt around various folk for the correct tap.

Slowly getting there with the XS though.....the frame and swing arm are away getting powder coated.....I might even post some pics soon. :D

Since I haven't really posted any updates...

I welded the seat mounts to the frame and fit the seat.
I attached the seat pan/cushion to the base.
I installed new drum brake shoes and springs in the front and rear.
I installed new wheel bearings in the front and rear.
I installed new, smaller fork boots.
I modified one of the foot pegs to fold and rebound properly with my aftermarket pegs.
I ordered a new special spark plug for one side of the engine to keep temperatures down (long story here).

Where did you get the front brake shoes from?

Recreate yes its a nice day but windy,temp is near 50F,I managed to actualy do something although minor I managed to put my new euro style mirrors on.yahoo_O btw I updated my weather thread in lounge section incase anyone cares Lol

nothing! lol. its setting in my shop where i put it two days ago after buying it. it was currently on its way to being a bobber but luckly i got it away from that guy. no offense to bobbers, i have a 84 vt700 bobber i am building !!SSLLLOOWWWLLYY!!!! my new addition xs400 will take just as long.

Back