XS400 Bobber build/first post

My light doesn't bolt in either. The back of the bulb in bent over the rear lip of the black housing. I can just leave that part blank, so you can drill whatever mounts out that you want. Is the "style" pictured above cool, or do you have something else in mind. You can PM me some thoughts if you want.

your rendition is perfert. as long as a can weld a tab to it for the axle, i will gladly take it. if you want pictures of that headlight if you dont win yours, let me know

im ready to lap the valves, but my seat is jacked up. :( does anybody know the angle of the seats? is it 30 degrees of 45? a have a cutter that i can use, but i need to know which angle is the right one.

for the valve face its 45' then further in, its 30' toprofile the valve head.

seat width is 1mm +/- 0.1mm

so is the seat is 45' and the face is 45' and then tapers to 30'?

yep, 45 ' for 1mm then further in 30'. TBH you will only need to use the 45' bit.

I did a mild porting job on my NOS cyl head :eek:and that gave a smoother and torquier engine :bike: It took afew hours to do!

i may look into that. thanks drewpy. and i found rings that might work, i just have to get the specs on them. 73-77 KZ900 rings. there like 20 bucks. i just gotta confirm everything. beats 67 bucks for one set. lol

massive update. 2 pics untill 2morro or so.
Engine - completly rebuilt. kz900 rings dont work. :( so i had to get those $60 stock replacments. but everything went together pretty smooth. now its all buttoned up and awaiting some black engine paint - maybe. i kinda just wanna ride. lol

Frame - completly hardtailed. all mig welded. grinding those welds smooth and tig ing it tomorrow so itll look nice. instead of the wind blowing away the shielding gas like it did today.

Wiring - nothing different. lol. me and my dad are diving into the wiring tomorrow. the plan is to have it kick only, headlight with on off high, tail light with on off and also acts as brake light. and the coils. ill post the pics when it gets done.

Paint - nothing right now. lol im gonna sparay the frame and wheels gloss black outta a rattle can, and run a primer tank outta a can till i decide on what color to shoot it. any ideas? sporty peanut tank with petcock relocation to the right corner by the mounting tab. kinda wanna just clear it, but theres too much bondo. lol. so no black.

heres the shitty cell pics till i upload the good shit.

cameroidphoto1.jpg

cameroidphoto2.jpg

o yeah, and the ride hight is six inches. a little high for a bobber, but i want to be able to get over curbs and the tall driveway curbs that infest the south suburbs.

ok. time for the good stuff. lots of pictures.

starting now.
engine looks good (enough) after the rebuild.
IMGP2616.jpg

IMGP2620.jpg

wire wheeled the clutch cover. came out kinda cool. gotta finish the sides and stuff tho
IMGP2617.jpg

during the welding process
IMGP2633.jpg

moar welding pics. $5 dollars to your paypal account if your the first person to guess the car in the backround. year make and model.
IMGP2635-1.jpg

gettin fancy with angles
IMGP2636.jpg

god i love this tool so much. portaband. portable band saw. man its awesome.
IMGP2638.jpg

we kicked out the back rails to line up with where the original axle plates were, that way i didnt have to deal with spacers and crap. worked out pretty well
IMGP2640.jpg

took it home still a little hot in the back seat of Tara- my ford taurus. gonna miss her big backseat and trunk at the end of the summer. i can fit a lot of junk in there ;)
IMGP2642.jpg

cool shot idea i stole off of choppertown. lol
IMGP2643.jpg

and moar cool angles
IMGP2646.jpg

IMGP2647.jpg

IMGP2648.jpg

looking good! looks like you'll need some longer springs or mount them higher, if you don't wanna slide off your seat backwards

1996-99 Ford Taurus, Oh, crap, this wasn't the car you're talking about. Which car?

yeah. 98 3.0 DOHC DURATEC ford taurus. i love her. lol shes had her fair share of abuse. 199,xxx miles. new tranny last year, runs like a top. finiky emissions problem tho, check engine light keeps going on, after i fix somethin for it. lol.

thanks guys! my seat post is moved closer, i dont like how high i sit tho. got some new bars and grips today. grips are 1976 octogons. never opened. $10. awesome. plan it to drive it at graduation. 2morro. lol well see

Back