My 1977 xs360 Build, may take a while, but its a start..

I was able to tinker with it a little tonight. Got the valves adjusted to spec now just need to rent a compression tester.
Was amazed that they were pretty close to spec. Right now I have them set as LE - .008" LI - .006" and RE - .009" RI - .006".

Also got my gsxr forks to the shop... need to still find myself a set of triple clamps. But good news is that the fork leg lower is tall enough to be able to weld a standoff to fit the drum brake. Now just need figure out how wide the gsxr triples are and figure out the spacing. In my mind I "think" I might have the axle figured out.

Last edited:
I have both triples at a friends shop to get both steering stems pressed out of the lowers. Going to figure out how to put the stock xs stem into the gsxr triples. That way I can also use the stock size head bearings.

Also got some measurements to mock up my axle. This is what I was thinking... the end spacers would be made from solid aluminum round bar. It uses the stock axles so the stock size wheel bearings can be used. I am determined to use the drum brakes and so far on paper looks like it is going to be doable.

The drawing I did was to scale with the proper dimensions, but had to do a screen shot to be able to save.

Is the 60x32 spacer threaded to accept the stock axle?

Yes it will be. On the program I used, I couldn't show it very easily. I am going to try a mock up of some wooden dowel tonight (hopefully).

Also found out that (which I should have known or researched) but the "complete" bike I bought doesn't have the e-start and is kick only, and the "spare" motor is a kick and e-start... the thought crossed my mind to swap motors. First I need to check both motors over to see what one would be the best donor. Then again the more I think about it, I am liking the kick only idea. Sorry just babbling out loud.

Kick only makes for weight savings, at very least. Looking forward to seeing how your fork conversion shapes up, you're definitely doing a thorough job.

Kick only makes for weight savings, at very least. Looking forward to seeing how your fork conversion shapes up, you're definitely doing a thorough job.

Thank you very much.

Between yesterday and tonight I played around with getting the front wheel in between the forks. I put a wooden dowel in the lathe to make some spacers and looks like everything is going to work out. The spacing looks to be on pretty dang good. Won't know for sure until i get the lower gsxr tree back. But here is just a quick picture of the forks with the wheel mounted. The yellow on the fork legs is about where I am going to cut the mounts.

And looking at the picture... just noticed that I have the sides mixed up...

Hi Norman, any updates on this project? I just found a good deal on a set of (slightly older) Gixxer forks and I'm thinking I might start stocking parts to swap. Off a 1996 bike, so I reckon the numbers won't line up exactly with yours, but similar enough.

I am sorry I haven't been back on it in a little bit. Finally got my GS1000 up and running, so riding around on that at the moment. Also the lower triple trees are still at my friend's shop waiting for the stems to be pressed out.

I got a lot of the numbers off of the internet for my drawing and thinking part and amazing it worked out when I made some wood spacers.

Well I haven't had time to get over to work on the bike lately. But got some plans drawn up on the spacers with all the measurements that I need. Just need to get over and talk to my machinist guy to have him make them for me.

Here is a final picture of dimensions I came up with.
Attached an updated drawing. Hope this will make sense to my machinist guy...

Last edited:
Just dropped the aluminum and plans to the machinist so should have them done shortly. Will post pictures of them when they are done. Now just need the triples back from a friend taking his time....!

The aluminum as $13 off of ebay and then had to buy the tap (machinist didn't have the one I needed) it was $13 and the machining was $60.

Just wish now I could go put it all on! Dang work!

Got the front end on and looks good. Just need to have the drum holder/boss welded on the bottom of the forks and then shave them down. But got the stock steering stem pressed into the gsxr triples. Forgot to take pictures, but I made a "bullet" looking thing out of solid 1" round stock. Made it just a bit bigger then the inner diameter of the stock stem. Then I heated up the stem and pounded the "bullet" in the end. It expanded it just to the right dimension for press fit.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures

Cool! Looking good. Must be fun wrestling it around with no handlbars on :D

Thanks, since it is a lighter bike it isn't too bad.

Next thing now is to tear into the top end and there is only about 40-50 psi cold in each cylinder. Knowing that I am supposed to check it when engine is warm, doubt that it will make enough difference to bring it up to the 140-170 range. Hoping the cylinders aren't too bad, maybe just stuck rings...?

Well tore into the top end this weekend.... I wanted to take more pictures, but am horrible at remembering to as I get going.

Not sure if something might be wrong here... this was the ring on the left piston. JB Weld right.... j/k

I am going to re-check all my measurements tonight, but thinking I will be able to get away with a set of standard rings. The cylinders look good, no marring or ridges anywhere. Also towards the bottom of the cylinders it still has the cross hatches. Almost wondering if the ring broke when I "freed" up the motor when I got it, or if it happened when when I took the cylinders off...

Back