1981 XS400 Special II Cafe Racer Build

Frame and electrical pan painted:

100_1332.JPG

100_1333.JPG

100_1337.JPG

Modified original Gauge Cluster mount to hold just the Speedo. Flipped it up side down, cut the sides off and bent the mounting tabs. Thinking I might bring it a bit closer to the ignition switch by cutting the stock mounts off and using bolts then lowering it just a bit more.

2012-03-11_11-20-06_671.jpg

2012-03-11_11-26-58_368.jpg

so your only gonna have one carb??... what are the pros and cons to that?

I have read more low end power less top end. Whos going for top end on a xs400 anyways... I have a zx9r for that :) One less carb to tinker with so it is definitely easier. But the main deciding factor for me was that damn Benjies gas tank. The petcock comes out directly where the stock carbs sit. So now I am doing the one carb setup.

hey as long as it runs good i guess, it your pig lol... i like how you cut the bracket for the tach and speedo... that was my same idea just haven't got to that point yet.. how did it fit in the holes where the 3 lights were?

hey as long as it runs good i guess, it your pig lol... i like how you cut the bracket for the tach and speedo... that was my same idea just haven't got to that point yet.. how did it fit in the holes where the 3 lights were?

The speedo fit directly in the holes where the 3 lights were just had to cut out the notch for the speedo cable.

thanks good to know that'll work.. i was originally missing the tack...then some jerk on ebay wanted 90$ for his used one so i didn't screw it i only want a speedo

Well I got my speedo mounted, Ignition switch lowered and bars mounted. Tank and Seat are off to be painted its starting to all come together.

2012-03-18_18-23-53_623.jpg

2012-03-18_18-29-54_769.jpg

Looks great, dig the speedo only mod. Was thinking of doing the same to mine, but want to run it a bit with the tach to get a feel for the rev ranges. What are you planning to do for indicators (neutral, oil press)?

Back