Hardtailed77's "Re-build Thread"

Alright, so I have been racking my brains over paint colors. I would like to have a similar paint "scheme" as my KZ440 (in the thread "Our other bikes..."). I have thought about a darker blue with tan on the sides....a hunter green with a cream white on the sides....among many others. I think I have settled on a choice though, but still want your opinions...What do you guys think about a butterscotch color with a cream white on the side. I would polish the wheels and paint the actual spokes (black, cream white, or butterscotch ????). I think the seat will be black. The engine/carbs will be satin black with polished accents. What are your guys' thoughts on the subject?

sounds pretty good...I had a scheme in mind for my wifes caprice a few years back...sunburst orange metalic w/cream/tan sides...would have looked pimp....a bit much for a family car...but trick on a bike!!
I like the butterscotch spokes...I think..hard to picture in my mind exact..but sounds cool..and unique!!

sounds pretty good...I had a scheme in mind for my wifes caprice a few years back...sunburst orange metalic w/cream/tan sides...would have looked pimp....a bit much for a family car...but trick on a bike!!
I like the butterscotch spokes...I think..hard to picture in my mind exact..but sounds cool..and unique!!
Yeah, I was kind of leaning towards the butterscotch spokes too. Although with my mind, it's likely to change a million more times and end up something totally different. lol

hardtailed77, I'm kind of concerned about the angles of the axle plates on your hardtail. They aren't even so there will only be one spot that puts your wheel straight up and down relative to the frame... Am I seeing that correctly?

Good eye Travis....you are 100% correct, the plates are far from even. In the same picture, you will also notice that the upward bends in the bottom rails are kinked. I had a buddy do the hardtail on the bike while I was at work (I work out on the river for 28 days straight, and his work didn't cost a dime since he used my tools). I noticed the axle plates, but went with them at the time because I could get the wheel straight, even like that, and knew I wanted to ride in the summer and tear it back down this winter. The kinked bends didn't come to my attention until here recently when I broke the bike down and started to clean the frame up. He "hid" the kinks with body filler!!!!! Needless to say, he will not be touching the bike this time. I had him do it, so I could get it finished for the summer, and got that in return. I did ride it the way it is, and luckily had no problems (NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL BY THE WAY). I have every intention of redoing the entire hardtail, this time myself. I will most likely be ordering the PSW kit very soon. I thought about trying to clean up the axle plates on it now and reusing them, but most likely will just order those new as well.

Great build, awesome bike. You really dont see that many 400 getting bobbed. Just an idea since your brainstorming. Polished sides on the tank with a gold pin stripe, and a black top. Keep up the good work.
CHEERS

Great build, awesome bike. You really dont see that many 400 getting bobbed. Just an idea since your brainstorming. Polished sides on the tank with a gold pin stripe, and a black top. Keep up the good work.
CHEERS
Thanks bro! Yeah, a bobbed 400 is a pretty rare sight. I love the look of your bike! Thanks for the suggestion, I may have to have my girl do that up in Photoshop.....sounds bad-ass!

did you weld the tubing to the bottom peg mounts to lower it? or did you just do it to do it? and how is that holding up currently? like is there any cracks or signs of wear? i might do similar but box the open areas and add some gussets

did you weld the tubing to the bottom peg mounts to lower it? or did you just do it to do it? and how is that holding up currently? like is there any cracks or signs of wear? i might do similar but box the open areas and add some gussets
A little of both really. There are no slugs at the time, but still no stress cracks or any signs of breakage. I am saving some dough to pick up Travis's kit he offers and then I will be completely starting over. I will also be adding gussets. Hope to have the money to start again by Valentine's Day.

are you going to put it in the same place on the bottom tubes as last time? because it seams like it lowers the bike. and if you mount it to the bottom, it would raise the ride height a tad. and IMO it looks bitchin at the stance it has.

are you going to put it in the same place on the bottom tubes as last time? because it seams like it lowers the bike. and if you mount it to the bottom, it would raise the ride height a tad. and IMO it looks bitchin at the stance it has.
Yeah, I plan on doing it the same this time. I have been thinking about maybe doing more of a dropseat hardtail, but I'm gonna wait to see how Travis's kit looks.

awesome build! some great info in here that i will definately be using on my xs400 build

agreed with the KZ1000. extended swingarm megaphone mufflers and dragbars. mostly put put putting around and the ocasional strip pass. just so people see me leaned over on my stomach and say WTF? and my dad had a H2 triple and this is as close as im gonna get to that as far as speed goes. lol

Back