Just another Bobber Build

Got the tins back last night...My Ol Lady's son (17 years old) painted em in his high school autobody class. I'm damn proud of the job he did, especially considering it's his first paint job!! Here's the tank..I will post more later on!!

paintedtank.jpg

wow. that paint is beautiful except for that run on the left. but that should wet sand out. who am i to talk, ive had runs with rattlecans. lol my eyes keep detting drawn to the gas cap. CHERRY! almost looks fake its so nice

Thanx Volcom.....but, there's no run, it's just the light reflection. I've been a painter for 20 years, wouldn't post a pic of a run. My boys teacher used to be my student LOL!!!!!!!

Well, even though it's not ready for final assembly...we got a little antsy and set the tins on. Here's a little peek. As soon as I get the last of the small parts we should be good to go. Also gonna try this weekend to get some exhaust bends to kick the fistails up in the air just a little bit.

paintedbetterpic.jpg

Any Pic's of how you mounted your seat. I am about to chop the back off and would like to put a similar seat on my bike.

That seat is just sitting there for the mock-up. I should have my seat that I am gonna use in about a week or so. I will post pics of the mount and everything once it gets here and I get everything fabbed up

There's been a few questions about my seat and how I intend to mount it..well, I couldn't answer until I had the seat I intended to use in-hand. Wow, this turned out to be a total no-brainer!!! I bought a La Rosa 13" seat off of ebay, I bolted the front pivot-mount to the gas tank mounting bolt, tweaked the braket a little bit (bent it while the bolts were loose then tightened everything) then I used rubber bumps (out of the junk bolt bin) in place of where the springs would go...can you say easy??????

pennysseat2.jpg

seatmount.jpg

There's been a few questions about my seat and how I intend to mount it..well, I couldn't answer until I had the seat I intended to use in-hand. Wow, this turned out to be a total no-brainer!!! I bought a La Rosa 13" seat off of ebay, I bolted the front pivot-mount to the gas tank mounting bolt, tweaked the braket a little bit (bent it while the bolts were loose then tightened everything) then I used rubber bumps (out of the junk bolt bin) in place of where the springs would go...can you say easy??????

pennysseat2.jpg

seatmount.jpg

Man,that's slick!! I'm going to start my '82 xs400rj seca soon,and that bike seems a good inspiration.I may go for a seat with more "cantle" to use a saddle term,or a little rise for back support. When you're an old fart like me,and all busted up,you think about stuff like that. lha

LMAO Ihaolpa!! I'm no spring chicken either!! That seat definitely isn't made for long hauls..but then again, niether is the LePera barebones on my Harley...maybe I am just a glutton for punishment

LMAO Ihaolpa!! I'm no spring chicken either!! That seat definitely isn't made for long hauls..but then again, niether is the LePera barebones on my Harley...maybe I am just a glutton for punishment
We old farts have to stick together! I just rebuilt a Yamaha Dt400 '75 model that I bought at about the same time as the xs400seca,and figured I would fix what I thought would be the more easy of the two.they both ran when I bought them with a little cleaning and new gas....lha

From your name,I gather that you now or at some time rode a Sportster.I had a K model back in my earlier days,what a bike! Also had a 1941 45ci solo model set up for a sidecar,and after the war,they were partially disassembled and stored on pallets.I went with friends to an auction at Ft.Hood in Tx.in about '69-'70,and bought it.There were some Willys jeeps and some other bikes[45 trikes]but I liked that one.Luckily,everyone wanted the jeeps,so I got the bike for $125.50,which was all I had at the time.In those days that was a lot of money for an old bike,as all bikes back then were Harleys,or at least most were.Oh the good old days!!!!!!! lha Oh,by the way,I really like the seat,the tan leather one,My wife,who made me the seat cover on my Dt400 dirt bike says she could make that seat,if I make the pan sooooo I think I'll try...lha

Thought I would bring ya all up to date on the bike..Most of the final assembly is well underway!! I have a few unforseen mechanical issues with the bike (sucks because it ran great not too long ago)!! I still have a few parts to get (lights mirrors grips pegs etc) but it's coming along nicely.

120tire.jpg

assembly4.jpg

assembly3.jpg

assembly2.jpg

assembly1.jpg

Back