Motor tear down has begun!!!!

Also if you decarbon the head/pistons etc and DONT replace the rings, will the motor smoke? The rings all look good to me and i dont really want to replace them if i dont have to because they are like 130 bucks??!!! just for a few little peices of metal, what a rip off!

For whatever its worth, when i rebuilt mine last winter i didnt replace the rings and it doesnt smoke a bit.:thumbsup:

Hey guys thanks for all the great tips. This forum has really given me confidence to rip into all this stuff because i know heaps of you have already been there and have first hand experience, and have all those little tips and tricks under your belt and great knowlege to pass on to us newbies here. Been a great help all of you:thumbsup:

Im gonna start a new thread for reassembly. Should be a great chance to share more knowlege and handy tips & tricks from everyone here. The reassembly thread is here: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?p=71125#post71125

cheers guys!!

Last edited:
Hay Greasey

just finshed my tear down the other day, quick question how easy was it to get your alternator off of the crank shaft? Mine was so hard it's still on there and i might have damaged the internal thread for the alternator bolt which i'm a bit pissed about. Looks like someone might have had it off before and put it back on with some kind of super loctite.

You need to use an impact gun and a rotor puller bolt. Then it will pop off just don't loose the key to line it up in the crank.

Last edited:
No super locktite required, the manual will tell u she is tight! I used a 3-jaw puller no problem without air tools, just wrench on it til it snaps loose. The bolt should be left on so that there's no damage to threads.

I was using a 3 jaw puller and I left the bolt in but it is so tight that the puller damage the edges of the alternator and popped off even though I had zip ties holding it in place, I had so much force on it (I didn’t relies at the time that it was that much) that the puller pushed the bolt into the crank shaft stripping the thread on the bolt.
I even had a heat gun on it trying to expand the hole. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems as I don't believe it should need this much force to get it off, differently believe someone has chemically welded the thing on.:shrug:

That is why I used a impact gun. No damage and the gun did all the work, Its also how they remove them in the shop. I have done this with three now.:shrug:

xschris, whats the thread on that bolt you are using in your pic? I guess the impact gun is another option to try but the force needed to strip the thread the way I did normaly would have been more then enough to seperate them, there must be something else effecting it.:confused:

Its a universal fly wheel puller for yamaha's It will go in hard that is why you need an impact. It is the same tool the guys at the dealership use (I watched them)

Last edited:
yea, shock 'em off if you have the tool.. I used a 3 arm puller on mine and tapped the edges to apply a bit more shock to get it off.

Hi large, i didnt dissasmble that right down i just pulled the crank out and left it on one peice. All my internals were in very good condition apart from the 2nd gear cogs. Good your covering it here though cause i didnt really touch on any of it:)

Back