Pinched generator wire hanging on by a thread

SoulMan

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So while diagnosing a starter engagement issue I noticed that one set of cables from the generator appears to have gotten pinched between the left crankcase cover and the case. They appear to be barely hanging together and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on fixing. The wires have a special jacket around the bundle as well as a special braded insulation around the original conductors. I assume because of the need to be more heat resistant. I figure i can probably uninstall the generator from the bike and unplug the generator from the harness to work on it. The wires are quite greasy. Something apecific I could use to clean those up. I also assume I could remove the wires from their wiring harness plugs and get a new outer jacket on them. I am wonderring if just stripping the individual conductors where the wires are habging by a thread and soldering them and putting shrink tubbing on those small sections is sufficient. I just wonder if heat would be an issue for the solder joint that close to the engine. Also anyone have any idea of what that outer bundle jacket is regarding getting something to put around the bundle to replace what has been torn through.

Thanks for the help. I love this group :)

If anyone coulfd take a long ride then throw an temperature gun on that side of ths bike I would appreciate it. I am curious how hot that side of the bike gets after a good period of operation.

Head temps at the exhaust side of the plug gets around 260-280f depending on ride conditions and temp of the air. Can't remember case temps off hand but it's under 200 and I have seen it as low as 150. This is for an all stock bike.

Head temps at the exhaust side of the plug gets around 260-280f depending on ride conditions and temp of the air. Can't remember case temps off hand but it's under 200 and I have seen it as low as 150. This is for an all stock bike.
Seems like there isnt much risk of a solder joint melting at those temperatures. Thanks for the response!!

Back