Zombies

Oh goodness.. So it isn't just us crazy swedes that spend the late hours of the night, preferably in our shop, zippin' beers and planning our Day-Z survival? :D

We've all read up on Max Brooks books and seen most flicks on the subject.. Anyone on here in to archery lessons? :laugh: I sure think that would be a good place to start, for real long time survival in zombie-land. That and knowing how to successfully grow your own food in colder climate.

This board is fantastic in so many ways... :bike:

Well given that Im former military (USMC) and currently contracting for the military (thus why Im leaving the country), I have a z-day plan and am always ready for anything. Ive got about 25k-30k rounds of various calibers, and numerous weapons (about 27 in total) at hand with my M4 being my weapon of choice, I sleep with 3 in reach of my bed (call me paranoid, but Id rather be ready if someone tried to get in). I have freeze dried food and food rations for about 2 months, shelter and everything in between. I have my trusty old blue chevy k10 that is always loaded with supplies and everything is in pelican cases ready to be thrown in the truck so I can take off to the country where I would find the highest point set up a base camp and pick off anything that got within +/- 100 yards. and when I get bored I'll pull out my trusty .338 lapua and start setting distance records. My longest so far is 800 yards and its got plenty more just havent pushed the target further yet.

Its pretty fun until you have to buy a box of ammo haha. At the range when I pull it out everyone thinks its just a .300 win or a .308 until I crack it off and it shakes the roof and walls and people walk over going what the F*&k was that haha

What kind of .338 do you have? What about the scope?

I just looked up the ammo quick.. looks like about $4-5 a round. About the same as 50 BMG. Can you get it cheaper or is that the going rate?

Its a little cheaper for me as I handload, its more work and only saves about .60-.70 but I can custom taylor my loads depending on how long I'll be shooting or where I'll be shooting. Its a McMillan tac 338 with a swarovski Z6i 2-12x50. The .338 is going to start replacing the 50bmg. Several branches have already started to addopt them. Lighter, faster, smaller and still damn near has the velocity and impact of a 50. Ill take a 19 pound rifle over a 35+ one all day

I want to step up to a 3-18 or a 5-30. Im getting towards the end of that scope at the range im shooting right now.

I don't know much about McMillan rifles but I did some reading and it sounds like a hell of a rifle. You definitely have some money sunk into that rifle and scope. It does seem like the .338 Lapua is becoming more popular. When I was looking into rifles chambered for that round a few years ago I wasn't coming up with much. Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough since I was more focused on AR-15's and handguns at the time. I have an LWRC M6A2 which is probably more appropriate for killing zombies anyway since rounds are about 40 cents each. Like you, I have thousands of rounds. I try to keep about 1,000 for each gun. If I had a .338, I could only afford about 100 rounds! :laugh:

I would like to get a 338, but should probably stick to something more economical with ammo so I can afford to shoot it. I don't really need to shoot half a mile +, but it would be fun. For my next rifle, I should probably get something that packs a bigger punch and will reach out further than my 5.56, but not quite a .338. It would seem to weird to have a 5.56 and 338 and nothing in between. As far as rifles go, I only have experience with what I carried in Iraq, an M14 and M4. I don't hunt so I'm not familiar all the typical hunting rifles that would probably fit the bill for what I'm looking for. Maybe I should look at getting a .270, or maybe a 308 because ammo is cheaper. Maybe 7mm or 30-06? :doh:

Yes I have a small fortune invested in that gun alone and it is amazing. The most accurate and crisp, fun to shoot weapon I have ever fired. McMillan rifles are hands down the nicest rifles built. The USMC scout snipers use Mcmillans, I think the Army uses them as well, and have been for a long time. Cant go wrong with a .300 win mag. A little more to shoot than a .308, 30-06, or 7mm but has performance. I prefer the .300 win over the .308 as it has a flatter trajectory over longer distance than the .308, the .308 starts to lob and drops off faster. The only real issue that people dont like about the 300 mag is the recoil. It kicks like a mule. You can pick up a Remington 700 chambered in .300 win mag, .308, 7mm, .270 and a few others for $500-800 depending on the model and have a big aftermarket. A .300 win mag is considered a big game rifle and will drop anything up to a large elk or moose. Even something chambered in a standard .338 is still somewhat affordable and is an entry into big game or distance shooting. Or if you want to look into a lapua, Savage Arms make the 110BA chambered .338 lapua and is way cheaper than anything else in that round. Last I looked they were about $1100 and Ive herd nothing but good things about them

But if you just want something to go plink and still be able to take something down and not concerned too much about long distance (over 300 yards) a .308 is an excellent round and is cheap to shoot.

Yeah I was thinking 300 win mag was a little too big for the theoretical gap I want to fill, but don't really know. I was just basing that off of trajectory, energy, and velocity charts you can find online. I have a lot to learn it I'm going to get serious about these long-range guns. I was actually just looking at the Remington 700 in .308 and the Savage 110 BA .338 Lapua just today online. The Savage is about a $1,800-2,000 gun. I don't think it was out that last time I looked..

Does your McMillan have a muzzle brake? I wonder how the kick of a 338 Lapua with a good muzzle brake would compare to a 300 win mag without one... or to a 308?

My Mcmillan does have a brake on it. It take a substantial amount of recoil away. Id compare it to shooting a .308 or a 7.62x54. But once you take it off its a whole nother story, I did it once and probably wont do it again lol. The recoil of a .308 is manageable and not nearly that of a .300 wm or a open barreled 338. You can easily reaquire your target for a follow up shot if needed with a .308. If your going to start getting into long distance a .308 is an excellent choice followed by the 7mm and once you get really comfortable with the .308 and getting tight groups in the 500-600 yard range then Id step up to a 300 wm or something of that nature

I appreciate the info and tips! I've shot 7.62x51 with the M14 so I'm familiar with the kick of the 308 for the most part. Maybe 308 is the way to go... If our world ever becomes full of zombies, I'll have a better chance of finding ammo for the 308 than the other rounds. That's the same reasoning behind my choice of a 12ga as the best zombie gun.. well that and you can also shoot deer, birds, and small game with it.

For the .338 lapua, it's good to know that those muzzle brakes work so well. I had a chance to shoot a Barrett .50 Cal once (M107 I think) when I was in iraq, but I didn't because it was hot as hell outside and I thought I would have a chance to shoot it later, then never did. :doh: Lesson learned: When presented with the opportunity to to shoot a cool gun, do it!

Not a problem, If you ever have any questions give me a shout. I could talk about guns, tactics and what not for hours and not get bored haha

It was a little slow at times but I still liked it. Didn't see that coming at the end. Looking forward to next week.

IFAIK Walking Dead is in season two now. It can get a wee bit soap-opera-ish, but it's the only show in that genre on TV so I watch. Or would watch; my stupid DVR didn't record the first episode the other night. My wife probably deleted the programming to record "Dancing with the Stars" or some other such drivel... I need a TV & DVR in the garage.

Back