CRUNCH TIME: Motor re-assembly has begun!!!!

The vapour blasting turned out great. :thumbsup:

Did you have to clean & degrease before the blasting? I am thinking of doing it too & I am wondering how much did it end up costing? Is it ok leaving the rings during blasting? Are you going to paint, clear coat or polish?

Cheers.

The vapour blasting turned out great. :thumbsup:

Did you have to clean & degrease before the blasting? I am thinking of doing it too & I am wondering how much did it end up costing? Is it ok leaving the rings during blasting? Are you going to paint, clear coat or polish?

Cheers.

Hey mate! No i just took it to him with all the grease and crap on it. What you see in the photos cost me $100. Plus i had him do a chainguard. He also removed the valves to clean out in there. Its $100 per hour i think. He itemised everything and the time it took on the invoice was rounded off to 1 hour. 12 min for this 5 min for that, 11 for this 7 for that, it all added up. He dips it in anti rust stuff too.

Im not sure about the rings, i think he left them on im not 100% though. The abraisive does not scratch metal at all, its very fine. Im not sure about painting or clearcoat, i know i dont want it painted black. I was going to leave it as is....should i be clearcoating it?

Oh yeah im going to get him to do my carbies inside and out, plus rebuild them. I saw some he did and they look like BRAND NEW when hes done.

actually here is exactly how the invoice read:

chain guard: 10 min -$16.67
pistins: 5min -$8.33
oil filter cover: 3min -$5.00
Head: 13min -$21.67
Barrels: 7min -$20.00
Rocker cover: 12min -$11.67
Remove valves for acess to ports: $12.00
Rinse,blow out threads, dry and pack: 5min -$5.00

Dip all ferrous parts in anti rust soloution

TOTAL TIME: 67min -$100.34

So yeah its pretty pricy but if you think of the time it saves you and the results, be pretty hard to do that at home....its worth doing if you dont mind forking out the cash. If you do end up doing it get them to do the tranny cases as well then the whole thing will look like new, im kind of wishing i did my tranny cases now...oh well next bike :shrug:

Last edited:
don't clear coat the engine,it will lift and go opaque!

leave as is. I had my resto xs done 7 years ago, not a blemish on it!

Blasted my barrels, head and other engine parts with homemade soda blaster, worked fine.

Blasted my barrels, head and other engine parts with homemade soda blaster, worked fine.

Yeah i definatly would have tried that if i had an air compressor, that would be really handy to have!

Im glad to report a little bit of progress :), its been hard to find the time but we are getting there.

STAGE 2
Kick starter assembly back in, clutch plates checked for factory tolerences and reinstalled, clucth basket back together, clutch side side cover back on, starter motor back in, stater reinstalled, stater side side cover back on. Fresh gaskets used of course after cleaning the surfaces well and my nice new shiney bolts on the side covers:thumbsup: Now its just putting the top end back together and we can try light this baby up!

Attachments

• DSC03153.jpg
    DSC03153.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC03154.jpg
    DSC03154.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC03155.jpg
    DSC03155.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC03157.jpg
    DSC03157.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC03158.jpg
    DSC03158.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC03159.jpg
    DSC03159.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 263
  • DSC03160.jpg
    DSC03160.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 278
  • DSC03162.jpg
    DSC03162.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC03165.jpg
    DSC03165.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC03167.jpg
    DSC03167.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC03168.jpg
    DSC03168.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 264
Hey just a quick question, does anyone know the recommended torque settings for the side covers...i couldnt find them in the haynes manual?

Looks great mate. What are you going to do with the tank?

Im not sure yet I might just give it a cut a polish and run with the original paint to keep the whole vintage vibe going, only becaue I actually like the worn look and colour of the tank as it is. It has a dent but i may even just run with that as well:laugh:

Wow that blasting looks great. $100.00 sounds ok to me for such a good looking result. Plus he took out your valves.:thumbsup:

I do have one question though. It looks like you are missing the main output shaft seal on the transmission. You can see the bearings.:shrug:

It looks like you are missing the main output shaft seal on the transmission. You can see the bearings.:shrug:

Yeah i got it and have still got to put it in. Actually im glad you brought it up, would you put a little bit of silicone compound (threebond) around the outside of the seal just to make sure it doesnt leak or it shouldnt need it, It would really hurt to do it i guess? Im just putting the old one back in...

Yeah i got it and have still got to put it in. Actually im glad you brought it up, would you put a little bit of silicone compound (threebond) around the outside of the seal just to make sure it doesnt leak or it shouldnt need it, It would really hurt to do it i guess? Im just putting the old one back in...

I wouldn't, they rarely leak on the out side seal.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention one other thing...when the vapour guy cleaned the pistons he totally removed the markings i made on the inside to tell me which one is left and right:doh: Now i have now way to tell what piston went in what side. Can you work it out by trying them in the bores and seeing which one feels better in any given bore? Otherwise its a 50/50 chance of getting right, not bad odds but can go either way.

Moral of the story, maybe etch a mark on the inside of one and remember what side that was from.....i used permanent marker which ended up being not so permanent.

Back