Swedish xs400 bobber build start.

Stabler

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Swedish xs400 bobber done.

Hi gang!

I'm from Sweden and I just bought a xs400 se 4g5 1982 after reading through this (and the xs650, amongst others) board. It has just under 30k miles on it an runs strong so I think it will make a good start for my build.

I'm going to try and turn this puppy into a bobber/trial mix. I've been kicking this idea around for a while now, and found the perfect bike for it.

Here she is as of this afternoon:
6019745868_4e204092eb_z.jpg

I've found a ton of valuble information here (and on the "sister" board). The write up on troubleshooting on this board is fenomenal. I have some slight charging issues, but I now have a good idea of how to try and fix that..

So, this is me, introducing my self (and my bike). I'll try and post pictures as I go along building/chopping/cutting this one up.

Stabler - out.

Last edited:
Nice intro Stabler, good to have you on the forum :thumbsup: Look forward to watching what you do with your build.

:bike:

Welcome stabler!
Where in sweden do you live? I'm located in malmö.

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

So, I got started on the build today. Got her up in my shop first:

6026734822_c2914a7708.jpg

I pulled all the stuff off. Seat, tank, rear fender and so on..

6026182597_f97f88251f.jpg

I cut her up and placed a solo seat I have for my other build on her just to get a feel for how she will look.

6026184487_637945e204_z.jpg

I threw all parts that I'm gonna use back on.

6026184965_83dc1d8e76_z.jpg

Now I'll have to shorten the rear shocks by cutting the springs. I'll lower them 1,5" - 2" and also lower the front end by 2". I've found a rear fender I'd like to use, but that one is like $130 new :doh: so I'll wait and see if I can't find a used one instead..

I'm going to get smaller turn signals, I allready have a tail light I'll use and I'll have to get a plate holder to fasten at the rear axle bolt.

Some welding to get the seat in place - and still be able to get the battery out. A thinker that one.. Some welding to cover the holes in the frame from cutting the rear off. And shortening the handlebar by 2" on each side.

AND the paint.. I'm planning on painting it myself. Keeping the frame black, but paint the rear fender, the tank and the covers. Maybe even the back side of the head light. Not sure what colours yet..

So - this is it for now. I'll post more pictures of my progress as i go.

Oh - yes, anyone ever used just the headers and mounted "mufflers" in them? The kind that is approx. 4" long and that you bolt in the end of the pipe? (Fuzzy explaining - I know, but I can't find the right word for them..) Anyone? I'm going to wrap the headers and if it would be possible to just mount "mufflers" in them, it'd be sweet.. :bike:

Baffles are the correct term i believe. on running straight open headers to 2-inch slash cut extensions. should have a throaty idle, and a higher rev volume. im also wraping mine, but ive heard moisture collects in the wrap. im protecting the pipes with BBQ paint. it has to heat up to cure, so it should hold

Baffles are the correct term i believe. on running straight open headers to 2-inch slash cut extensions. should have a throaty idle, and a higher rev volume. im also wraping mine, but ive heard moisture collects in the wrap. im protecting the pipes with BBQ paint. it has to heat up to cure, so it should hold

some peeps say to paint the wraps with VHT paint too to keep them from getting dirty

Ok, baffles it is. Thanks.
So I'd better put like 10" of pipe on my headers then, before mounting baffles?
Would 2 baffles in each header be better or should I just get a set of real mufflers?
The stock ones look terrible..

Stabler, put some Emgo "shorty"s on there, sounds like what you are after.

Another forum member with some on his chopper here...

You can get these with a slash cut or a turn out too.

:bike:

Welcome to the forum. If you want something a little longer with a great sound I have harly sportster mufflers on my bike. I really like the sound but they are a lengthier solution.

I'm curious. I've got a 2 into 1 on my bike, but hate the current exhaust note. What's the inside diameter on the Harley muffs? I think I'd need about a 2 inch muff....

I'm curious. I've got a 2 into 1 on my bike, but hate the current exhaust note. What's the inside diameter on the Harley muffs? I think I'd need about a 2 inch muff....

i am pretty sure it is a 2" pipe, ill have to check tomorrow since the po put them on, i believe they just slip right on and have a little gasket type of thing to fit snug. i can even take a picture

Mekonomen? For real? No, I found this one @ Bikeparts.se
But I'll check out Mekonomen right away!!

try searching for ljuddämpare.

The ones I mean are available in sizes 2" and 1 3/4"

art.nr 01-SU405120
and 01-SU404500

but if the ones at bikeparts are 50$, then it may be better. :) these ones are the same price.

Now I've found them! I'll have to and have a look at those, before ordering any others.. They look about right. Don't know about the sound level tho.. Could be a bit loud.

But then again, who cares about loudness?

Back