Swedish xs400 bobber build start.

I have to get a Sporty tank to this one.. The one I've got sits to high (and it's for my other build so I can't really use that one).

6032967074_32e3d4d7b8.jpg

I figure if I throw out the original air filters and put on some pods, I'll have room enough under the covers for my coils, yes? I can't keep 'em here when I switch tank, that's for sure.

6032967008_44d8566b99.jpg

Also I took a look inside the lamp housing. :wtf: Wassup with all these wires? It's a frekkin lamp!!

6032968762_4ac39bba19.jpg

Also I'm going to get rid of the tachometer and mount my speedometer in the middle, where the lights for "neutral/oil" and so on is mounted now. A little work with the angle grinder would do the trick. The holes for the light housing in the picture below, is only 2 mm off compared to the orignal mounting holes for the speedometer. I'll just grind everything else on that mount down and rolling stones' it.

6032964704_e73c385766.jpg

How many pictures can one put in a thread on this board without gettin' kicked out?
Here's a tail light I found. "Deathscience Highwire". They make pretty sweet stuff. I'm definitely getting this tail light!

2146225.jpg

And yes, I've also got mr Simmons up on my wall today. One needs to be in spirit when chopping up a bike. :rock:

6032311007_4a99b0d124.jpg

I've contacted Sigma6 (or what he's called) on eBay about jetting. But thanks man! If he (or she?) doesn't get back to me I'll let you know..

i am pretty sure it is a 2" pipe, ill have to check tomorrow since the po put them on, i believe they just slip right on and have a little gasket type of thing to fit snug. i can even take a picture

so i checked and mine are 1 3/4" it seems BUT i looked online and it seems there are 2" harley sportsters as well.

welcome to the site i am debating ordering a ten foot piece of chrome piping or stainless steel piping to do my exhaust much like what is in the latest issue of THE HORSE on the green xs in that mag but on the kicker side as opposed to the shifter side
good luck with the build

Thanks drewpy, but that's comming of. I'm going with light green flake and white on that one. But that's for my other bike.
As for this I haven't decided on colours yet. (Yep, plural.) Maybe some pearl and candy to back up the bobber look. Remember the paint on "The Gent"s tank in Hellride? Something like that..

Last edited:
So.. Got some new shorter shocks mounted. An uncut fender as well. Bought the "shorty" sportster mufflers as well.
Looking at two different tanks as of now. Either a sportser or a peanut.. Anyone ever relocated their coils on one of these? I'm going to put pod filters on her so I've got some space where the old air filters were mounted.
Anyone ever done that? Tips? Do's and dont's?

Anyways, a pic of the progress so far.

6211696683_cb76cdb628.jpg

The old muffler's still on her for measuring up where to cut the downpipe.

Nice bike!
Will start my build pretty soon to, but street tracker style.
Live in Sweden to, up north.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks. And thanks.
I'm going to mount the fender on the swing (is that the correct term?) to get it as close as possible to the tire..

6716160291_e7d18d1f87.jpg

My new rear fender. Put in place. Awaiting the struts.

6716139903_fe14d40444.jpg

Front mount of rear fender.

6716132135_069e6bc6ec.jpg

6716135881_e3b733d8fc.jpg

My new mufflers. Harley shortys.

6716133889_5aef186939.jpg

6716130839_5f57c97a60.jpg

Thats about it. Waiting for a Sportster tank I picked up off of Ebay. Going to weld on the mounts for my single seat this weekend. I'll be back with pictures on that.

Started her up yesterday! MAN do those baffles/silencers sound sweet!! If I only could get my f*cked up iPhone to record the sound properly I'd post it here right away.

Back