maybe a cafe build.....

yeah your right! thanks man! ill bet a few washers underneath where the nuts are would work. ill be trying that tonight. tomorrow is going to be 85 so i want to get her running and feeling smooth for a little longer ride. what do you have left for your bike bcware?

I did the timing and was able to get it running after warming it up by kicking it over 100 times; it's super lean and wont start easily. Jetting it alone would probably get it running well, but I am replacing a bunch of things.

I have new jets, carb boots, float needles/seats, petcock, vacuum and fuel lines, fuel filter, fork boots coming this week or next week. I also have new tires, tubes, steering bearings, fork seals, and more sitting in the garage right now. Because of a massive test I need to take at the end of April I am forcing myself to forgo working on the bike in order to study; it's hard!

Maybe a bit OT, but gravel crew have built a couple of xs250 bikes.
Pretty neat.

924.jpg

951.jpg

I know this is an old post, but what kind of springs are those? I am looking to lower my xs400 a substantial amount and those look to fit the bill.

not sure what shocks they are, someone may chime in on that.

took some photos today thought id share.

IMG_9816.jpg

IMG_9815.jpg

got the valves adjusted properly without destroying the engine! rode it to work today and she runs better than ever! so smooth and starts on the first kick everytime. love it

put new bars on, and ordered a seat from airtech. slowly but surely.

b1dd6569.jpg

Last edited:
thanks man, i guess i could give a better idea of what im up too. so im looking at putting mikuni vm30's on the bike. i ordered the carbs for another project, but have decided to use them here. the bike is running so good right now i hate to mess with it. i may leave it alone until winter when i dont ride as much. i could work on the cosmetics for the summer without being down very long. i found a twisty road by my house. would hate to miss even one weekend of that!

I hear ya. I've been thinking back and forth of converting to a single carb set-up for awhile now. Still don't really know what I'm gonna do. lol It's hard to get any work done while the weather is so nice.

looking for some advice here, here are some pics of where im at with my rear sets. they bolt up to the stock locations, but am not sure about location, any thoughts? they are the same distance away from the bike as the stock one, but seem to be low and have to come out kinda far to clear the pipe. i was thinking they might need to move up and in. thoughts? as far as linkage goes, i can figure that out when i get them place properly. i couldnt find any photos of a good set up on the 360/400
:confused:

6b174a85.jpg

bc3b5bbe.jpg

f8cafe03.jpg

You could flip the shift lever around and use a reversed/racing shift pattern. Linkage another hardware availble at fast form the past

dan,

those mounting threded tubes coming through the frame can be cut off flush and re-threaded, then you could remove the 3/4 spacer washer thing under the bering to tuck it in closer

yeah i may try that. i actuallly held a plate up, but realize now, i had the wrong side. when i get home ill have another glance at it. i really like these rearsets though. you are using the same ones right? just searched rearsets and came across your thread, dam nice build there ahale2772

i didnt see the post about cutting off the stems, so that stem goes all the way through the frame pipe then? you know whats killing me is those mufflers, they are soooo gone! will be needing to figure that out. with the mufflers gone, all will be so much easier.

thanks Dan,

yeah im using the same set, those stems go all the way through and are welded on the other side. (never posted about cutting them off, I did it right before i dediced to go all out with the new swingarm) you cant thread all the way through because they are blocked off , but you could cut them flush with the frame, then drill them all the way through (it wont comprimise the weld at all)

then you could thread them all the way through. (if you dont want to drill thru the back side you can just use a bottoming tap as well)

yeah those mufflers look like they are getting in the way...I have to say the bike looks KILLER tho, I love how the seat and tank work together, not all bulgy and ugly like other seats...good luck :thumbsup:

(if you want I can get you a pic of the back side of the stud things later, I hacked off that whole part of my frame so ive got them laying in the metal pile)

so the green dot is where my current rearset peg is located. the red dot is where i think i want it. thoughts? if i move it, im going to just have my neighbor make new brackets at his work.

36c4f103-1.jpg

It's really a matter of comfort and how long your lower legs are. As for looks I don't see any real significant diffrence. I'd stay with Green Dot.

hey guys, ive been having some issues this morning. i have a guess, but thought id try you guys. when i run the bike it doesnt want to idle at a low rate. sometimes it will go down where its suppose to, but when i give it gas it wont go below 3000rmp unless i adjust the idle. just barely touching the idle adjustment makes it go down to normal. then give it gas again and its stuck at 3000rpm's again. dirty carbs?

Back